Menu

Well toned hive members, a few questions...

If one was at the upper end of what is considered a normal BMI but wanted to lose about 10-15 pounds mostly through exercise. And if this person did not have a gym membership or exercise equipment at home, do you think it is possible to achieve this goal by walking, climbing stairs, sit ups, Wii fit, Kinect, etc. Is there any advice or websites you would point this person towards? Also, this person is willing to make some diet modifications, but does not want to drastically change her diet in case you were wondering. Finally, is there anyone who has had results from working out at home and would like to share her experience? Thanks!

My honest opinion is that you at least need some basic weight gear. But you can buy a few hand weights, exercise bands, etc... for not much money and they take up little space. It doesn't have to be big, expensive equipment. Some dumbbells, in a few different weights, will go a long ways.

And what I read (and my experience) is that you can't really expect to lose weight mostly through exercise. Exercise will often make you more hungry. Unless, you change your eating habits, you will just eat more calories. I find that exercise(ALONE) will keep the weight off, but not lose the weight.

What you might experience is a more toned body but no weight loss at all...or even a slight gain due to that whole 'muscle weighs more than fat' thing.

But you will likely drop a size in clothing, and that is a nice perk even if the scale doesn't budge.

As far as your diet, it depends on how it is now. If it's already pretty good, making minor changes might not change your weight. But if you have a daily sugary soda and potato chip addiction, just eliminating that might help.

I did this at the beginning of the year. I wasn't overweight, but I did go from a 23 BMI to a 19 through Wii Fit, another Wii cardio game, lots of walking, and portion control.

I made sure to exercise for at least an hour a day, with at least 20-30 minutes of cardio. I also used water bottles to provide some resistance since I don't have any weights. I really don't have a lot of resources where I live (I was lucky to find a Wii balance board at all), but I was able to make it work.

For me though, the portion control was more important in the weight loss than the exercise. The exercise was better for other reasons.

I did this at the beginning of the year. I wasn't overweight, but I did go from a 23 BMI to a 19 through Wii Fit, another Wii cardio game, lots of walking, and portion control.

I made sure to exercise for at least an hour a day, with at least 20-30 minutes of cardio. I also used water bottles to provide some resistance since I don't have any weights. I really don't have a lot of resources where I live (I was lucky to find a Wii balance board at all), but I was able to make it work.

For me though, the portion control was more important in the weight loss than the exercise. The exercise was better for other reasons.

That's impressive! For my height, that would be 25 pounds. Congrats!!! Well done!

I don't know how active you are, but I'd start small and not buy anything. Go on a 30 minute walk every day until it's a habit. As for your diet, if you don't want to change what you prepare, you can slowly let the veggies take up more of your plate and let your bread servings shrink.

If you're a social person, an exercise class might be the answer. Investing money may motivate you to attend every week and you might look forward to seeing new friends at each class. It can be ANYTHING. Join a local volksmarching club, try bellydancing, give a martial art a go . . . The key is it HAS to interest you. Pick up a parks and rec catalog or look at the adult education classes at your local community college. Don't worry about losing weight first. Just jump in and try something!

I wanted to add to my previous post.

I do think the exercise you listed is a good start, especially if they are things you enjoy. I've lost 60 pounds. Much of that was done by counting calories and walking and walking and walking. So, you can lose weight without fancy equipment.

However, since your thread title was about "well toned", it made me think of overall toning and desiring light muscle development. As much walking as I did, I didn't see much muscle development until I added weights. So, that was why my thoughts went that direction.

I've been doing lots of reading about how to maintain weight loss. I am determined not to yo-yo back up. Weight training is highly beneficial in this aspect, also. It has to do with muscle boosting metabolism and lots of other fitness jargon that I mostly forgot. I just lift weights to keep weight off.

I lose 15lbs every spring and summer simply from getting out and getting moving. I have never had a gym membership in my life. When the snow starts melting I hit my treadmill 5 days a week for a month and then I head straight outside as soon as it's nice enough. I play soccer with the kids, run with the dogs, play tag with the kids, well you get the idea. I basically keep moving as much as possible. It's healthy for all of us. I think that if you are seriously trying to get up and get moving that it is completely possible to lose weight. Also, some ankle weights while you're walking might help a little too.

My honest opinion is that you at least need some basic weight gear. But you can buy a few hand weights, exercise bands, etc... for not much money and they take up little space. It doesn't have to be big, expensive equipment. Some dumbbells, in a few different weights, will go a long ways.

I think buying those things is possible over some time. I also forgot to mention that we have a swimming pool, though I don't swim as often as I'd like because babygirl is working through her fear of the water.

And what I read (and my experience) is that you can't really expect to lose weight mostly through exercise. Exercise will often make you more hungry. Unless, you change your eating habits, you will just eat more calories. I find that exercise(ALONE) will keep the weight off, but not lose the weight.

This is the first time I've heard that. As far as diet goes, I'm cutting out sweet tea, cokes (like two per week when we eat out), food with added sugar, and sacrifice as many carbs as I can. I would like to eventually follow a paleo diet, but I'm not quite ready to commit.

What you might experience is a more toned body but no weight loss at all...or even a slight gain due to that whole 'muscle weighs more than fat' thing.

But you will likely drop a size in clothing, and that is a nice perk even if the scale doesn't budge.

I would be lying if I said that I didn't care about how I look. I've noticed that my pants have gotten tighter, and I don't look good in my clothes any more. So, it would be fine by me if I lost a size, even if I didn't lose the weight.

As far as your diet, it depends on how it is now. If it's already pretty good, making minor changes might not change your weight. But if you have a daily sugary soda and potato chip addiction, just eliminating that might help.

My diet has definitely been better. I let some bad foods creep in, and we've been eating out a lot more because we have just moved in, and because we have been much more social here. I appreciate your advice.

Congrats! This is very motivating to me. Which Wii game did you use? I have the Wii fit, as well as Zumba on the Kinect. Portion control is something that I hadn't considered. I need to be mindful of how much I'm eating, because with all the socializing we've been doing, I find myself munching on bread or chips while we talk. I've also consumed a little more alcohol than I usually do, going from less than one drink per month to one or two per week.

I think finding the time is going to be the hardest thing for me. Again, congratulations on your success, and thank you for sharing.

Congrats! This is very motivating to me. Which Wii game did you use? I have the Wii fit, as well as Zumba on the Kinect. Portion control is something that I hadn't considered. I need to be mindful of how much I'm eating, because with all the socializing we've been doing, I find myself munching on bread or chips while we talk. I've also consumed a little more alcohol than I usually do, going from less than one drink per month to one or two per week.

I think finding the time is going to be the hardest thing for me. Again, congratulations on your success, and thank you for sharing.

I'm not even sure what game it is! All I can get here are pirated games and they're usually pretty old. I searched through stacks of dusty games to find one that said cardio on it. It's mostly boxing, and I think it's a Gold's Gym game? Maybe? For me, the biggest thing I needed was something to get my heartrate up because even though I usually walk 4-5 miles a day and have done so for years, that wasn't enough. I got that game after realizing that Wii Fit doesn't do much cardio, although it's really good for some other things. Having a variety of things to do helped me too.

You can definitely do it without equipment. Just search for "body weight" exercises, you'll get tons of ideas.

As far as time goes, with just a couple of hand weights, the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred and Ripped in 30 DVDs are dirt cheap, 18-25ish minutes workouts that are worth every sweat dripping, heart pounding, cursing at your t.v. minute. ;) They really make you WORK.OUT.

This is the first time I've heard that. As far as diet goes, I'm cutting out sweet tea, cokes (like two per week when we eat out), food with added sugar, and sacrifice as many carbs as I can. I would like to eventually follow a paleo diet, but I'm not quite ready to commit.

But the changes you are making ARE dietary changes. :). Not everyone has to go on an all-out, totally new, throw everything out and start over, way of eating. If you cut out sweet drinks, watch your portions, and consider bad vs. better choices (twinkies or an apple?) you are cutting calories.

My dh has a friend who took up running, but refused to eat better. He ran marathons while very overweight and with a humongous gut. After a few years, he and his wife went on a "diet" and he finally lost the weight. He does still run, which makes his weight loss, statistically, more likely to stay off.

Edited by snickelfritz

I recommend T-Tapp and Callanetics - the old Callanetics from the 80's. I love them both and will alternate which one I do.

Both result in excellent toning without weights to build long, lean muscles that are elegant and not bulky.

T-Tapp has some free exercises at t-tapp.com and there are some videos about T-tapp and Callanetics on youtube.

Also, instead of focusing on weight loss, focus on inch-loss. Take your measurements before you get started and measure each week to track your results.

Here's the link to T-Tapp's Try Before You Buy exercises:

http://www.t-tapp.com/try/index.html

I started training for a half marathon last winter (didn't actually make the race because of slight injury) and found myself becoming much more toned - I actually have leg muscles now! :) I had jogged casually previously (~3 miles per week), but when I began seriously training I added weight work to keep things balanced as my running muscles strengthened. Because I didn't change my eating habits a lot, neither my weight nor (as best I could tell) my clothing size decreased. However, since getting back to running after recovering from my injury I've adjusted my eating to a moderate cut-back in calories that has me losing about 2 pounds/week or so.

Right now (in case it helps you estimate time), my exercise routine basically is

Mon - Walk 1 mile (about 30 minutes including prep - I don't hurry.)

Tues/Thurs - run 3 miles (about 45 minutes including waking up beforehand and stretching out afterwards)

Wed/Fri - walk 1 mile; Balance ball routine with weights and video that takes about 12-15 minutes broken up by baking breakfast, taking dd2 to the bathroom, settling arguments, etc.

Sat - run 4 miles (about 50-60 minutes including prep and stretching.)

I walk and run before the kids are awake in the mornings so that it doesn't effect the family routine. I love the extra energy this exercise gives me. I also find that eating 150 or so healthy carb calories immediately after a run keeps me from going on a binge for breakfast and doesn't keep me from the weight loss.

Dh says he can definitely see a difference in me! :D

HTH!

Mama Anna

I don't know how active you are, but I'd start small and not buy anything. Go on a 30 minute walk every day until it's a habit. As for your diet, if you don't want to change what you prepare, you can slowly let the veggies take up more of your plate and let your bread servings shrink.

Excellent advice, thanks! I was about to head out for a walk with the baby this morning, but I forgot that the stroller was in the back of DH's truck, which is in the shop, so we scrapped that and had breakfast instead. But, from now on I have something to do with DD in the mornings. More veggies, less bread, got it.

If you're a social person, an exercise class might be the answer. Investing money may motivate you to attend every week and you might look forward to seeing new friends at each class. It can be ANYTHING. Join a local volksmarching club, try bellydancing, give a martial art a go . . . The key is it HAS to interest you. Pick up a parks and rec catalog or look at the adult education classes at your local community college. Don't worry about losing weight first. Just jump in and try something!

I'm not a very social person in general, but I love this idea. I do much better when I have someone telling me what to do, like when I was in sports in high school. The community college is very close to where I live. That would be the best starting point. Finding a sitter is the only obstacle I can think of.

You can definitely do it without equipment. Just search for "body weight" exercises, you'll get tons of ideas.

:iagree: You can accomplish a great deal with body-weight exercises, and to me, there is something freeing and fun about not needing equipment. My hubby says that I'm now (approaching 40) in better shape than I was in my 20's -- though his opinion may be a little influenced by his desire to encourage me. :001_smile:

I do use two pieces of equipment, though: a pull-up bar, and a few free weights (which I use for shoulders). I think that's really all you need for a home gym.

I've always been in shape. I have a pullup bar at home and that's it. I do have a gym membership and need 2 days a week for squats/presses, but I could do it at home with minimal equipment too. Running sprints is great for your legs, or running at all for that matter. PUshups/pullups and all you need for your upper body. GET A KETTLEBELL! Seriously, I could drop my membership and stick with the kettlebell and be fine, but I just love getting out a couple times a week.

You can get these adjustable weight stacks, which i have thought of getting.

I gained 60 pounds with each pregnancy but took it back off with just plain old walking. 1 pound is 3500 calories. Walking burns about 100 calories per mile. If you keep your diet exactly the same and walk 5 miles a day, that's a pound every week (5miles x 7days x 100 calories). If your body's not used to exercise, it should go faster. And the additional muscle burns additional fat. The clothing sizes come off faster than the pounds. I'm 40, so I also get to see other changes that are more fun than the size stuff - no sciatica!!! :001_smile: MapMyWalk.com is a fun way to map your routes out and track your progress - and it's free. You can compete against yourself instead of Super Chick down the street. :001_smile: If you've got a treadmill, that's a fabulous luxury to keep you on track on rainy, hot, or any other sort of miserable days. I love to walk to movies on the treadmill. I can rewatch all those films that my husband can only watch once. I've got the mileage recorded for a bunch of good treadmill movies on Pinterest. http://pinterest.com/walker2011s/to-your-health/

Edited by JenMama

If one was at the upper end of what is considered a normal BMI but wanted to lose about 10-15 pounds mostly through exercise. And if this person did not have a gym membership or exercise equipment at home, do you think it is possible to achieve this goal by walking, climbing stairs, sit ups, Wii fit, Kinect, etc. Is there any advice or websites you would point this person towards? Also, this person is willing to make some diet modifications, but does not want to drastically change her diet in case you were wondering. Finally, is there anyone who has had results from working out at home and would like to share her experience? Thanks!

Yes, I think working out at home can be great if you are motivated. Some light hand weights would be great, but you could manage with other things.

Speed walking works wonders, and if you want you can combine/alternate it with jogging/running a few minutes then speed walking. Also, jumping jacks, jump roping and hula hooping. You can do things like donkey kicks, push-ups, squats, lunges, and dips to build muscle without getting huge or buying equipment.

I have done all of this for about 3 months and dropped 26 pounds of stubborn pregnancy weight. No gym membership, or videos. I did begin using dumbbells (3lbs, then 5) to do more arm exercises recently, but that is not absolutely necessary.

Danielle

For exercise ideas, bodyrock.com and youtube are great... Beware of barely dressed women, in case that bothers you.

Hills...walk up and down hills. All sorts of hills - different lengths and grades. Going up works the back of your legs and butt. Going down works the fronts of your legs. Hills produce amazing results IMO. If you can run them, even better.

1. Crossfit - google at-home crossfit workouts. You will get a lot of strength training/toning for very little cost (if not free) using what you ahve in your home.

2. Diet change: Drastically reduce your consumption of 'whole grains' (specifically wheat) and you will likely note a change in your weight and belly fat specifically. Read this book for more info: http://www.amazon.com/Wheat-Belly-Lose-Weight-Health/dp/1609611543

Since no one has mentioned it yet: look into Pilates. The exercises are built to strengthen your core muscles and many of them require no special equipment at all. I have done enough videos over the years that I have my own Pilates/Yoga routine I do with the kids. There are books at the library, or lots of different videos you can get (I prefer the Pilates for Men series as the workout is quite challenging).

Walking makes a big difference too. Park further away from shops so you get extra steps in.

Consider some simple exercises - 10 pushups, 10 crunches, and 10 mountain climbers 3x a day. It takes only a few minutes, but it targets most of your major muscle groups.