Menu

How long do you keep student work from previous years?

There is nothing in TN law to indicate that your dc's past academic records could ever be inspected by school officials, or that you'd have to produce anything to prove anything. You don't need to keep stuff out of fear.

Other than keeping a few things as momentos for the dc, I say toss it all.

My plan is to keep one or two things per subject, per month, plus reading logs. I want to be able to bind them and have a whole-school book that I can show the grandkids. Or something silly like that.

We'll see if it actually turns out that way.

I'm the wrong person to ask because I keep it all! All 24 years, so far... We never move...

The next reality show: "Homeschool Hoarders" :lol:

Seriously, though? Everything? Every math paper? Every grammar lesson? Where do you keep it all?

I hate to admit it, but I have most everything my kids have done in the 4+ years we have homeschooled. It is getting to the point now where I am ready to let a lot of it go, but I want to make sure my bases are covered incase I am ever questioned by the state (TN), etc. So...what do you keep and how long do you keep it?

Dd is finishing up 6th grade this month. I still have just about everything tucked neatly into a giant rubbermaid tote in the basement. Every time I decide to go through it and weed out all of the unnecessary items, I wind up looking at her old handwriting or math assignments and getting all sentimental, then keeping it all!:)

There is nothing in TN law to indicate that your dc's past academic records could ever be inspected by school officials, or that you'd have to produce anything to prove anything. You don't need to keep stuff out of fear.

Other than keeping a few things as momentos for the dc, I say toss it all.

:iagree: and I'm another TN homeschooling mama.

I live in Ohio. I hope there's no regulations because after keeping everything for 4 years (k,, 1, 2, 3 for one, and k, 1 for the other) I tossed it all and keep nothing. We do the CAT test from Seton, and I keep the test results. MUCH easier to manage than totes of stuff.

The law is two years here. But I make the portfolios and they're really a snapshot of where the kids were at that moment, so I intend to keep them forever. Or, until they're adults anyway.

But it's just a single binder from the year. If I had "everything" that would make me nuts. We even clean out every two months and toss finished workbooks and so forth.

I'm the wrong person to ask because I keep it all! All 24 years, so far... We never move...

Wow! You sound very similar to my MIL & FIL. We had to clean out their house a few yrs ago. They have 6 kids. We found tons of attic space *full* of old school papers, projects, etc. They didn't HS, but certainly kept everything that came home from school.

We're active duty military. Frequent moves help keep dh's pack ratting DNA under control ;)