Menu

paste, for crafts, the old kind in a jar with a stick??

I'm pretty sure I've seen the Elmer's brand paste at our local Target, though I haven't bought it in years!

When I was in school, we always used "mucilage." It was kind of like rubber cement, but without the mess. I wonder if I can still find it anywhere...

Now you've got me off to Google various types of school glue. :lol:

Do they still sell this anywhere? That old fashioned "paste" that came in a small container, with a stick. We used it at elementary school way back when. I'm thinking it has to last longer than glue sticks, which we go through at an unbelievable rate.

Hey, I remember those! Great memories. And I think I still remember the smell of that paste. :D Now I'm curious too...

I've been searching all over the internet for the past 15 minutes. :D But I can't find it. :(

Talk about strong olfactory association! When I read your post I was immediately transported in my mind to my third grade classroom, pasting a paper sack owl (with construction paper features) to hang above my desk. I was having trouble with the beak but the eyes were good. LOL

I would also love to buy some Elmer's school paste, but I think it might have been discontinued. I can't find it online.

Hey, I remember those! Great memories. And I think I still remember the smell of that paste. :D Now I'm curious too...

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I haven't thought of that paste in 30 years! Thanks for the flashback, OP! :)

Talk about strong olfactory association! When I read your post I was immediately transported in my mind to my third grade classroom

I can smell it, too!

Here's a recipe that I've used with success:

1c water

1Tbl sugar

1 tsp white vinegar

1/2 c cornstarch

Mix water, sugar, vinegar and cornstarch in a small saucepan. Heat on med-low, stirring until mixture becomes thick and creamy. Let cool. Ready to use. Can be stored up to a week in an airtight container.

The "paste smell" comes from oil of wintergreen. You can add a drop or two.

You can add one of these paste scrapers for a more "authentic" paste experience!

Edited by mommyagain

Here's a recipe that I've used with success:

1c water

1Tbl sugar

1 tsp white vinegar

1/2 c cornstarch

Mix water, sugar, vinegar and cornstarch in a small saucepan. Heat on med-low, stirring until mixture becomes thick and creamy. Let cool. Ready to use. Can be stored up to a week in an airtight container.

The "paste smell" comes from oil of wintergreen. You can add a drop or two.

You can add one of these paste scrapers for a more "authentic" paste experience!

Just curious, since one is not eating this, does it lose it's stickieness after a week?

I remember buying Yasutomo Nori paste at Dick Blick. I remember I was obsessed with getting some paste and don't know why :confused: I have flashes of confused sales people asking why, but don't remember my answer :confused:

Seizure based memory loss hits again. I wonder where the paste went. I have a faint memory of one of my manic tutoring students and the paste.

I have the feeling there is a good story here, but I don't remember any of it :confused:

Anyway there is a thing called Yasutomo Nori paste sold by Dick Blick, but I can't even review it for you. Sorry.

Flash of colored construction paper strips surfacing. Ahh, I think we made woven paper placemats for a pagan holiday meal. This memory just gets weirder, the more I remember. :lol:

Now I want paste again! For what I don't know. :confused:

I checked the Elmer's site and they don't even list it as an option.

Something that may work for you is what I do with my kids. I bought a gallon of regular Elmer's glue and a pump for it. When we need to use glue I pump a little in a plastic condiment cup (little 2 oz plastic cups I got on amazon) and the kids use a paintbrush to spread it on their projects.

And does the recipe make it smell like that old paste? Because forget sticky, that's what's really important.

I think someone mentioned earlier that you would need to add wintergreen oil to get the smell.

Is it bad that while everyone else is talking about smell, I am wondering about taste? :lol: This thread also brings to mind when I used to put glue all over my palm, let it dry, then peel it off like skin. Fun times!

Is it bad that while everyone else is talking about smell, I am wondering about taste? :lol: This thread also brings to mind when I used to put glue all over my palm, let it dry, then peel it off like skin. Fun times!

I'm glad to be bringing back such good memories for all of you but it still doesn't solve my problem of HOW to get this wonderful paste! :tongue_smilie:

just saw it the other day while browsing school specialty and it's in stock :D

http://store.schoolspecialty.com/OA_HTML/ibeCCtpItmDspRte.jsp?section=&minisite=10044&item=2294559

I should add they have even more as well as powder wheat paste ect. to make paste with.

Thanks! They have my favorite School Smart Ruled Notebook Paper and I'm planning on putting in an order soon.