Menu

Gift ideas for tinkering kid- turning three

My two year old likes to tinker and figure out how things work so I am looking at the lego kits but I am also wondering at what age snap circuits would be appropriate (I've seen people use them for four year olds but not three year olds). Any other ideas are welcomed. I'm trying to give him activity toys that are challenging enough to keep him away from actual house items such as clocks. His attention span for tinkering is fairly long.

My two year old likes to tinker and figure out how things work so I am looking at the lego kits but I am also wondering at what age snap circuits would be appropriate (I've seen people use them for four year olds but not three year olds). Any other ideas are welcomed. I'm trying to give him activity toys that are challenging enough to keep him away from actual house items such as clocks. His attention span for tinkering is fairly long.

LOL, I'm not sure you're going to be able to get him away from clocks. My ds was obsessed with clocks at that age too - and he still is!

There is a book called Sandbox Scientist that you should look into.

My ds's absolute favorites at that age were the wooden train tracks and wooden blocks. He could build amazing designer cites. Also Wedgits. He built for years with them.

:iagree: with all. There is no better toy than wood unit blocks.

pvc pipe, elbow pieces, t pieces, and enders- loads of fun (also fun n water!)

Yes! My kids have had days worth of fun with PVC. They have built puppet theatres, stages, houses, and so much more. I used a Dremel drill to put holes in some of the pipes and they have built amazing showers, car washes, etc. in the summer.

Yes! My kids have had days worth of fun with PVC. They have built puppet theatres, stages, houses, and so much more. I used a Dremel drill to put holes in some of the pipes and they have built amazing showers, car washes, etc. in the summer.

Yup. My kids have made awesome fountains and more with this stuff.

• 1 month later...

Do a search for "take apart toys" on Amazon. My son loved those. Also, Keva blocks. They seem so simple, but they are great. My son is 4 1/2 now and has really started taking off with them. Superstructs started for him around 4. Anything with gears. :)

Brenda