Menu

s/o MRSA thread. Prevention?

Can we talk about this a bit? What are some things I can do in the home to help fight this infection or prevent its reoccurence? What about our diet and nutrition?

I would appreciate ideas and help from those who have been there, done that. If what you are doing seems to be helping.

Also, please talk to me about further ways we can prevent antibiotic resistance. We have always used them sparingly, but there has to be more we can do.

Clean wounds and treat to prevent infection. Really that simple. MRSA is just staph that can't be killed by one particular drug. Doesn't mean it is resistant to all drugs. But clean wounds, cover, and keep an eye on them.

For me it is not that simple. I found out I have the impetigo form on my chest. As they erupt I do cleanse and cover, but as soon as one heals another erupts. It was only this morning that I discovered what this was going on. I thought I had some strange acne on my chest. My body does seem to be able to fight it there, but I am passing it to my children.

So while I do agree with you in the vast majority of cases. I can't bandage a large area nor my nether regions.

:grouphug:

My kids got impetigo when babies from the latex on their diapers making them break out. It's why I switched to cloth.

Is anything on your chest breaking your skin down?

And I am all ears on this thread--I had no idea this was so bad. I have friends who are nurses at the hospital talk about how bad it is, but I thought it was contained to hospitals.

I will admit that ealier post has me freaked out about a spot on my daughter now... Ugh.. I am not one who rushes to the doctor, but I have been doing some research. The two best things I have found are coconut oil (I have been rubbing this on the spot and having her swallow some) and also Manuka Honey (it is from New Zealand). I don't have that honey, but it sounds like it is great to have on hand for all sorts of things including MRSA. So, the local health food store has it and I will either get some from there or order from Amazon.

I knew nothing about any of this ten minutes ago. Thanks to these two threads, I just spent $18 on 32 ounces of Hibiclens.

I'm sorry :o It is not my intention to start some mass scare. I "knew" all about MRSA in a clinical sense. When I was doing clinicals for nursing school a few years ago we were being drilled about it and I had a very healthy appreciation for proper hygiene practices and methods of breaking the chain of infection.

The only problem is that was Hospital acquired MRSA and I knew what to do. Now that I have it here at home it is different. Stopping the cycle of infection/contamination with multiple children feels slightly overwhelming.

:grouphug:

My kids got impetigo when babies from the latex on their diapers making them break out. It's why I switched to cloth.

Is anything on your chest breaking your skin down?

And I am all ears on this thread--I had no idea this was so bad. I have friends who are nurses at the hospital talk about how bad it is, but I thought it was contained to hospitals.

Hmmmmm, I almost exclusively where V-necks so where I am getting the breakouts is exposed. The way I explained it to the Dr was that it was like having a small pimple that slowly progresses towards the surface of the skin, eventually breaks, gets very inflamed and goes away, almost within 24hrs of one of these resolving a new begins. It is like putting out a fire in one location, taking a breath and having it erupt in another.

Hmmmmm, I almost exclusively where V-necks so where I am getting the breakouts is exposed. The way I explained it to the Dr was that it was like having a small pimple that slowly progresses towards the surface of the skin, eventually breaks, gets very inflamed and goes away, almost within 24hrs of one of these resolving a new begins. It is like putting out a fire in one location, taking a breath and having it erupt in another.

Ya know.... I don't mean to question your doctor's diagnosis, but what you describe sounds very much like molluscum contagioso. Has that been ruled out? Because you would treat that differently. It can last a looooog time, though.

Ya know.... I don't mean to question your doctor's diagnosis, but what you describe sounds very much like molluscum contagioso. Has that been ruled out? Because you would treat that differently. It can last a looooog time, though.

I would not doubt that it started out as MC, now they get a lot more inflamed and the most recent is turning into a boil. It most like is a entry point for the secondary bacterial infection.

I have just spent way to much money on cleaning supplies and anti-bacterial products. I called my mom in tears, because this is very antithetical for me. I am very much a get in the dirt, limited medication, exposure is good so long as you are not immuno compromised, build up natural antibodies and strong fighter cells type of person. But everything I am reading about this speaks of an extreme anti-bacterial lifestyle.

The whole thing is a bit frustrating and confusing.

I have to say, I worked med-surg at the hospital. We often had MRSA patients. But they were the exception, not the most common. I think people are really overreacting to possible MRSA like it's an epidemic. It's a problem with misuse and mutations of antibiotic resistant infections. Use your abx properly and encourage others to do so. Use common sense wound cleaning and hand washing protocol. If a MRSA infection comes up, it will not be as common as a cold and your doc will deal with it. Chillax, y'all!

I had MRSA, mainly on my legs, several years ago with an infant in the house. DS had a couple of cases of impetigo and DH had it on his face :001_huh::001_huh:

I showered with Hibiclens, let it sit on my skin for a few minutes, then rinsed. I used hand sanitizer whenever I passed by the pump. I washed my hands lots and lots. I also had three courses of both Rifampin and Bactrim. DH's went away with tetracycline.

Before this regime, I had tried several courses of Keflex (I was nursing and my doc was primarily an ob, so he was cautious) to have the boils come back as soon as I was done with the course.

This regime was given to this doctor by an infectious disease doctor. It went away for good after that.

Now, whenever I see any type of pus, I clean it with alcohol or hibiclens. We have not had any problems since then.

I have to say, I worked med-surg at the hospital. We often had MRSA patients. But they were the exception, not the most common. I think people are really overreacting to possible MRSA like it's an epidemic. It's a problem with misuse and mutations of antibiotic resistant infections. Use your abx properly and encourage others to do so. Use common sense wound cleaning and hand washing protocol. If a MRSA infection comes up, it will not be as common as a cold and your doc will deal with it. Chillax, y'all!

I would have completely agreed with you.................................last week.:tongue_smilie:

We use hibiclens and triple antibiotic on any bug bites or scrapes. We also keep the kids' fingernails cut short and encourage kleenex use, iykwim.

When there is MRSA in our house (it has happened 3x now--one from a scrape at the pool, one we think picked up in the bathtub in a diaper rash from the kid who had the pool scrape, and one reoccurance from the diaper rash kid).....we cut everyone's fingernails short, but triple antibiotic in the nostrils and under the fingernails of all kids, and wash in hibiclens. We clean in the bathroom with bleach between baths/showers, etc. and keep infected areas covered at all times.

The honey is nice....we had a friend whose son had cancer and MRSA at the same time our dd had MRSA.....the honey allowed the wound to heal when the wound center at the ped hospital had given up on him ever healing.

MRSA used to be in hospitals and care centers only, but in our area it is common to pick up infections at the gym or at the pool now. Not a big deal for most healthy people....but lifethreatening for others. We've lost relatives, and have had family members on iv abx... :(

We use hibiclens and triple antibiotic on any bug bites or scrapes. We also keep the kids' fingernails cut short and encourage kleenex use, iykwim.

When there is MRSA in our house (it has happened 3x now--one from a scrape at the pool, one we think picked up in the bathtub in a diaper rash from the kid who had the pool scrape, and one reoccurance from the diaper rash kid).....we cut everyone's fingernails short, but triple antibiotic in the nostrils and under the fingernails of all kids, and wash in hibiclens. We clean in the bathroom with bleach between baths/showers, etc. and keep infected areas covered at all times.

The honey is nice....we had a friend whose son had cancer and MRSA at the same time our dd had MRSA.....the honey allowed the wound to heal when the wound center at the ped hospital had given up on him ever healing.

MRSA used to be in hospitals and care centers only, but in our area it is common to pick up infections at the gym or at the pool now. Not a big deal for most healthy people....but lifethreatening for others. We've lost relatives, and have had family members on iv abx... :(

Thank you!

We had a run with it here. I was told a big vector for staph (particularly with kids) is via the nose. We did a nasal Bactroban with all of us. Now I keep nails short and try to encourage kleenex. I'm pretty sure he got staph in eczema recently (not necessarily MRSA) but it's the first time I've seen it for years here. I used Bactroban ointment for it.

So I'd say treating for possible staph in all family member noses might be something to talk to the doctor about. People can carry and transmit without an active infection. When someone gets a skin break (cut or otherwise) clean and cover. I don't do antibiotic creams unless I see evidence of infection and then I use the Bactroban. I'm wondering if you need something systematic to knock things out given your recurring chest issue.

We had a run with it here. I was told a big vector for staph (particularly with kids) is via the nose. We did a nasal Bactroban with all of us. Now I keep nails short and try to encourage kleenex. I'm pretty sure he got staph in eczema recently (not necessarily MRSA) but it's the first time I've seen it for years here. I used Bactroban ointment for it.

So I'd say treating for possible staph in all family member noses might be something to talk to the doctor about. People can carry and transmit without an active infection. When someone gets a skin break (cut or otherwise) clean and cover. I don't do antibiotic creams unless I see evidence of infection and then I use the Bactroban.

This is what I have been waring about in myself, when to use antibiotic creams and such. I am picturing my kids with bandaids from head to foot. :D

I'm wondering if you need something systematic to knock things out given your recurring chest issue.

I am on two antibiotics right now and dd is on one. Hopefully, we will get this cleared up. I just want to know how to help keep it from the other members of the family and try to prevent reinfecting.

I will warn you against using antibiotics loosely-including the antibacterial creams. These bugs are resistant to antibiotics for a reason-improper usage and OVERusage. Try to stick with things like vinegar, bleach, and alcohol based cleaners and skin products if you have to.

I would also work on strengthening your immune system if this is affecting you often. MRSA really isn't common. So stick with a healthy diet, CLO, vitamin C, adequate Vitamin D, exercise, and probiotics. Seriously. TONS of probiotics. Honey is also good externally. And make sure your kids know how to wash their hands properly and do so often.

I am on two antibiotics right now and dd is on one. Hopefully, we will get this cleared up. I just want to know how to help keep it from the other members of the family and try to prevent reinfecting.

Ah, I'd do the nasal treatment for all if the doctor thinks it's a good idea. Someone else could be carrying and, in my understanding, the nasal is important even if you're on the oral meds. Of course it's been a while and maybe I'm remembering the why differently or things have changed in treatment.

Towels, clothes/anything else that contacts the staph for you guys needs a hot wash and dry. I don't worry too much about transmitting other than washing stuff in contact, washing hands after putting on creams of course, and keeping it covered until it's gone. In her case bandage and in your case a t-shirt would do it as long as it doesn't have a v or scoop, right?

Are you doing probiotics with your antibiotics? If you can get Florastor is terrific with antibiotics as they don't kill it and it boosts the immune system as well.

Edited by sbgrace

Hibiclens, Garlic supplements, and Manuka honey are good to have on hand.

Don't be afraid to take the antibiotic that your particular strain of MRSA is not resistant to. It is the lesser of two evils. And do take probiotics.

We had the whole family do the Bactroban nasal thing and I think it has eradicated MRSA in our home.

For me it is not that simple. I found out I have the impetigo form on my chest. As they erupt I do cleanse and cover, but as soon as one heals another erupts. It was only this morning that I discovered what this was going on. I thought I had some strange acne on my chest. My body does seem to be able to fight it there, but I am passing it to my children.

So while I do agree with you in the vast majority of cases. I can't bandage a large area nor my nether regions.

I have one child who is highly susceptible to skin bacteria. When we lived in PA, she developed a case of it every summer and when she contracted chicken pox, it ended in a bad case of cellulitis. I'm not sure why she was the only one in the family to contract it while the rest of us remained asymptomatic.

Edited by Barb F. PA in AZ