Menu

6 June 1944 D-Day

You will bring about the destruction of the German war machine, the elimination of Nazi tyranny over the oppressed peoples of Europe, and security for ourselves in a free world. Your task will not be an easy one. Your enemy is well trained, well equipped, and battle-hardened. He will fight savagely....The free men of the world are marching together to victory. I have full confidence in your courage, devotion to duty, and skill in battle. We will accept nothing less than full victory. Good luck, and let us all beseech the blessings of Almighty God upon this great and noble undertaking." ~General Dwight D. Eisenhower giving the D-Day order on June 6, 1944.

You will bring about the destruction of the German war machine, the elimination of Nazi tyranny over the oppressed peoples of Europe, and security for ourselves in a free world. Your task will not be an easy one. Your enemy is well trained, well equipped, and battle-hardened. He will fight savagely....The free men of the world are marching together to victory. I have full confidence in your courage, devotion to duty, and skill in battle. We will accept nothing less than full victory. Good luck, and let us all beseech the blessings of Almighty God upon this great and noble undertaking." ~General Dwight D. Eisenhower giving the D-Day order on June 6, 1944.

68 years ago today, my 19 year old Father (to be) stepped off a U-boat on Omaha Beach in Normandy, France. He made it up the Beach a short way before taking a bullet in the forehead above his right eye that richocheted out of his mouth, blowing out all of his front teeth.

Amazingly, he lived, spent 2 years in a hospital, and met my Mom when she spied this "dashing man who looked like a pirate"(eye patch) across the room at a USO dance.

Rest in Peace, Dad, and all of your brothers at arms too. May God welcome you all into the Kingdom. Thank you for what you did.

May God welcome you all into the Kingdom. Thank you for what you did.

Amen

The men of Normandy had faith that what they were doing was right, faith that they fought for all humanity, faith that a just God would grant them mercy on this beachhead or on the next. It was the deep knowledge -- and pray God we have not lost it -- that there is a profound, moral difference between the use of force for liberation and the use of force for conquest. You were here to liberate, not to conquer, and so you and those others did not doubt your cause. And you were right not to doubt.........

And so, the night before the invasion, when Colonel Wolverton asked his parachute troops to kneel with him in prayer he told them: Do not bow your heads, but look up so you can see God and ask His blessing in what we're about to do. Also that night, General Matthew Ridgway on his cot, listening in the darkness for the promise God made to Joshua: ``I will not fail thee nor forsake thee.''.... -President Reagan

Edited by pqr

68 years ago today, my 19 year old Father (to be) stepped off a U-boat on Omaha Beach in Normandy, France. He made it up the Beach a short way before taking a bullet in the forehead above his right eye that richocheted out of his mouth, blowing out all of his front teeth.

Amazingly, he lived, spent 2 years in a hospital, and met my Mom when she spied this "dashing man who looked like a pirate"(eye patch) across the room at a USO dance.

Rest in Peace, Dad, and all of your brothers at arms too. May God welcome you all into the Kingdom. Thank you for what you did.

Thank you for sharing this beautiful story. And as pqr said, Amen.

What an incredible story! Thank you for sharing.

Thank you for the important reminder.

One of my friends posted this as her Facebook status today:

Today is the anniversary of D Day and my father God rest his soul was an army paratrooper and he was shot and hid from the Germans and a French family found him and hid him until the Americans came and took him he was awarded the Purple Heart as well as a honor certificate from President Charles DeGaull . I love and miss my Daddy and I am proud of him.

:patriot:

Reminds us of the caliber the men were who fought for all our freedom.

My grandfather was also there that day. Last year, I watched the Ken Burns: The War documentary on Netflix and when it covered D-Day and the other campaigns that my wonderful Grandpa was in, I cried for the horror that he suffered and it reminded me once again what an incredible man he was. If anyone has not seen that documentary, I highly recommend it.

My maternal grandfather, the oldest paratrooper (an ancient 35 years of age) in the American forces that day, was dropped on Utah beach. Of the 23 men he was dropped with, only 5 survived. No one knew for a couple of weeks. He spent the next 5 days fighting his way inland and helped another unit take out a Nazi communication center. He had no chance to make contact with his unit so he was reported MIA, then KIA, and then oops, except for a piece of shrapnel, he's okay! Good news indeed! My grandmother was pregnant with my mother at the time.

My paternal grandfather - ever the clown - was teaching Naval radiomen in California and paying someone else to wear his dogtags and go to swim class because he didn't feel like doing it. :glare: He lived to a ripe old age and never learned to do more than dog paddle!

Thanks for the reminder.

Faith

The statue of Maj. Dick Winters (Band of Brothers) was just unveiled in France.

This report includes brief interviews with Sgt. Bill Guarnere, now 89, who served with Maj. Winters and a boy named Jordan Brown who helped raise $99,000 for the statue and spoke at the ceremony in France.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505263_162-57448042/d-day-statue-of-band-of-brothers-hero-richard-winters-unveiled/

(But shame on you, Gayle King, for not paying more attention to the reporting on your own show. She didn't seem to follow that Maj. Winters has passed away. :tongue_smilie:)

Perhaps they also wanted us to remember those who stayed home in Hollywood play-acting in B-movies while the brave brave men were off fighting (and often dying) in the war?

Let us not forget the real heroes are not the same as celluloid heroes. Or vice-versa.

Here's to the men and women who served! :patriot:

Bill

I am certain that that was NOT the reason.

The Hollywood crowd of WWII produced movies that were deemed essential to the war effort, unlike today's crowd.

Hollywood was deemed so essential to the war effort that many actors were given military ranks; while they in no way compare to those brave men who laid down their lives they did make a real contribution to the war effort. Someone had to produce patriotic films to keep up moral in both the states and for our boys overseas, the training films produced by the Army Air Force First Motion Picture Unit were used throughout the military.

While it appears that you and I now both agree as to the relative value of Hollywood, I would offer the caveat that during WWII it was immensely important to the war effort. Many of its denizens did serve and did provide a valuable service (Frank Capra, John Ford, Ronald Reagan etc all used their talents to support this nation). For this they deserve our thanks.

Nevertheless this thread is certainly not the place for heated debate. If you wore the uniform during WWII then you have my complete respect, you did your part and served you nation as asked. If you heard the rumble of cannon then you truly were a patriot and your personal courage demands my utmost respect. May God Bless You for your service.

Let us not denigrate anyone who wore our nation's uniform on this thread. (I would be happy to engage elsewhere but snide comments about those who served in any capacity are rather boorish here)

SC How about a truce on this thread?

Edited by pqr

I read half of the Landmark history book, The Story of D-Day, aloud to my children today. Wow.

We use this series extensively, if the children are interested in WWII (and if you have not yet read them) may I suggest:

The Flying Tigers by John Toland (it always amazes me the variety and fame of some of the authors of the Landmark series, Toland just being one example)

The Battle of the Bulge by John Toland

The Sinking of the Bismarck by William Shirer

Guadalcanal Diary by Richard Tregaskis

The Battle for Iwo Jima by Robert Leckie

and or course 30 Seconds Over Tokyo by Lawson

As an aside has anyone seen a definitive list of the series.

Edited by pqr