Menu

Unpacking aaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

Om goodness, i feel like an ant digging away at a mountain. It's not even that we have soooooo much stuff, but the books! Oh my! And dh's random power cords, electronics and who knows what- i dont even know where to begin!, and he is travelling this week.

How many hours a day would you devote to npacking, once your basics were set up (kitchen, boys' room, toiletries, bedroom, school room)? We have things to hang, lota of books, some more kitchen stuff, and stuff for the storage shed that needs organizing.......:nopity: :lol:

Edited by Halcyon

When we moved from IN to FL the unpacking was just basically go till your done. Take breaks when needed etc. That was pretty much full time for quite a while. Of course we took a long time because we had to first pack all the stuff left in my house and go through that! My parents built their dream house and wanted new everything so my house sat for almost two years completely furnished with everything down to dish rags LOL!

It was a nightmare to deal with but I look back now and wish I would have taken more time going through stuff!

I'd just keep going and get it done. Take breaks when needed, but deal with it all now so you don't have it looming over your head.

Confession: We moved into our house 2 weeks before youngest was born. Toward the end of unpacking (right before he was born), I put some odds and ends in unused cabinets. The baby is 6.5 and I still haven't dealt with it.

I'd just keep going and get it done. Take breaks when needed, but deal with it all now so you don't have it looming over your head.

:iagree:

I tend to have "tunnel vision" in that I can't move on to something while I am working on another task. I can't do anything until my house is unpacked whenever we move, lol.

For me, unpacking is actually more work than packing. Put a box by the front door. When you come across something that you realize you don't need or can't find a real place for, put it in the box for donation. Keep another box nearby and label it, "Ask Hubby." He can decide what those items are and where they should go when he returns.

Don't get too tired of it all and place boxes in the garage or closets. If you can live without those items, you should just get rid of them.

Move all boxes to their appropriate location - all kitchen boxes in the kitchen, all master bedroom boxes in the master bedroom, etc. Focus on one room at a time. I'd probably start with the kitchen.

Unpacking is definitely a "Band-Aid" chore. It's best to just get it over with because procrastinating just prolongs the misery.

:grouphug:

I've been unpacking for a week. The essentials are out but it's the little stuff that we are missing right now. I figure by the end of this week I should be almost completely done. Take it at the pace you can achieve. For me, I have too much to worry about getting it done in just a few days. I'd rather take it slow and do it right the first time rather than just get it done and have to go back through and put things in new places.

I feel your pain! We are packing now. We packed the books in the basement (one bookshelf) and curricula yesterday (except the stuff we're using now and in the fall - those will go in different boxes). It took 7 boxes plus 4 for selling. I haven't touched the kids books, or the 4 bookshelves upstairs. I'm guessing we'll hit 25 boxes, plus whatever we sell. I dread unpacking them almost as much as packing!

I would just keep at it too. But intersperse fun stuff as well as other chores. Aim for a 15 minute break per hour of work. But break it up if you need to. Work 22 minutes, then take an 8 minute break. Then do it again. I imagine you can unpack one, or maybe two, boxes in 22 minutes. Then read a little, drink a cup of coffee, play a game with the kids, etc.

I figured you were probably lost under a pile of boxes!;) We moved about two and a half years ago and several good friends came over the next day and helped me get the majority of things put away. That said, I still have two boxes up in the schoolroom that I never dealt with, guess it's nothing we really need.

It'll be so nice once it's all done and don't forget, we want pics!

Well, we handled our last move a little differently. I sort of had a mental or written list of what to accomplish for that day. First thing is always to get the kitchen functional, the beds set up, the rest can come later. I didn't want to collapse into bed at night but wanted to be able to think how to organize rather than quickly put everything away or stuff it into shelves and closets.

So there is an individual approach for everyone. Perhaps, some days it helps to remember that there is probably still time tomorrow...

I've had small children when moving before. I'll have a two year old this time, but I'll also have many bigger hands. Our first move, we moved in on Dd's 3rd birthday, Ds was one, and I was 5 months pregnant. Dh didn't help at all. It took me a month. Last time it took two weeks to get most things done. The kids were older, but I was pregnant again. I am not pregnant this time, the kids are older and Dh is going to help. Yes, he is. I told him that getting the satellite hooked up is the last thing we are going to do.:D. I'm hoping to get most things done in one week.

I have not fully unpacked or hung everything up in...well, probably ever. :)

I get the basics unpacked and moved in, then rearrange furniture and rooms about 3 or 4 times, trying to make each new home work for us so I can "unpack the rest" (craft supplies, scrapbooking, decorations). By that time it's usually time to pack and leave again, and I still haven't "unpacked the rest".

We've been here 4 months and I've still got boxes to sort through and find a home for or donate the items, and we've already rearrange bedrooms once and the "schoolroom" is in it's 3rd location in the house. :D

I hear you! We just bought a home and moved about a month ago. What I did was unpacked the essentials at first and then committed myself to unpacking/organizing 1-3 boxes per day. It depended on the size of the box, the complexity of the organizing, and the amount of spare time I had. It's a month later... I didn't unpack anything last week. I think I still have around 5-6 boxes left.

Good luck!

I hear you! We just bought a home and moved about a month ago. What I did was unpacked the essentials at first and then committed myself to unpacking/organizing 1-3 boxes per day. It depended on the size of the box, the complexity of the organizing, and the amount of spare time I had. It's a month later... I didn't unpack anything last week. I think I still have around 5-6 boxes left.

Good luck!

I think this is what I am going to do. I am working on about 3 boxes a day, and I have about 15 left, not counting DH's books, which we are not unpacking until we have new shelving. Thank you for all the advice. I just don't want to completely tire myself out. I work part time, plus we're still homeschooling, so.....