Menu

Jigsaw puzzles: Fun or infuriating?

Jigsaw puzzles are:  

1. 1. Jigsaw puzzles are:

• Fun
    • Infuriating
    • Both!

We started a 1500 piece jigsaw puzzle on Saturday. It has been several years since we've done one--dh and I used to work puzzles before we had kids. I'm enjoying it... but it's also one of those that is mostly just one or two colors, with huge swaths of similarity, so it is taking FOREVER.

I thought I'd ask the board just for fun...

I've been wanting to try one of the large 3d puzzles for ages. Dh bought me a little one, a grandfather clock, and that was cool. I think it all depends on the picture. My puzzle with a cartoon style paella party is fun, doing the forest background to Neuswanstein was akin to torture.

:)

Rosie

Why? I mean, really. Take a pic, chop it up, put it back together. What. is. the. point?????

My mom loves jigsaws, though, & I have found them to be quite calming when she's in town, if that says anything.

Fwiw, though, I distinctly remember wondering what the point was of playing dolls when I was about 3. I couldn't come up w/ a good answer, & I dropped the doll & never played again. Some people say I'm too serious. :D

We have a large table in our family room that has a constantly changing 1000 piece puzzle on it. My ds7 is the master puzzle assembler. When he was 2 he could do 60-100 piece puzzles which my dds never could. They were still on the 24 piece variety at that point. I think it is fun to have history puzzles. We'll be breaking out the giant Civil War puzzle here any day now. Right now he's got a huge peacock he's working on.

My mother in law just completed several weeks of radiation therapy. In the family waiting area at the hospital, each table had a jigsaw puzzle set up. As the patients and families came back day after day, we would work on the puzzles, just kind of picking at them. The bigger puzzles would be there for days at a time, the smaller ones would get done in a day.

We have a large table in our family room that has a constantly changing 1000 piece puzzle on it. My ds7 is the master puzzle assembler. When he was 2 he could do 60-100 piece puzzles which my dds never could. They were still on the 24 piece variety at that point. I think it is fun to have history puzzles. We'll be breaking out the giant Civil War puzzle here any day now. Right now he's got a huge peacock he's working on.

This is what I would like to have, but our current living conditions (and the current 2yo) just don't allow it.

DH got me a large piece of felt that rolls up around an inflatable insert. It allows me to work on a puzzle after the kids are in bed and then store it safely out of reach. Life is busy enough that it can take me months to finish a puzzle, but it's much better than nothing.

Guest Virginia Dawn
Why? I mean, really. Take a pic, chop it up, put it back together. What. is. the. point?????

Just like many kinds of mind games it's all about seeing relationships, making connections, and the satisfaction of meeting a challenge. The most serious child I have used to work puzzles almost constantly, until life became enough of a challenge to satisfy him.

Maybe the challenges of daily living are enough for you, maybe they are not enough to keep your mom's mind occupied. If you keep puzzles around for when she visits, she might also be kept occupied by crossword puzzle books. :001_smile:

My mom loves jigsaws, though, & I have found them to be quite calming when she's in town, if that says anything.

Like someone else mentioned, I like the brain challenge. I enjoy doing Sudoku, too. It's one of the ways I work to keep my mind sharp.

It's also great for conversations. When one of my kids does a puzzle with me, we tend to talk about things that maybe we wouldn't talk about if our hands weren't busy doing something else.

I love puzzles except for the 2000 piece puzzle we had of several satellite dishes with a blue background. It literally took us years to finish it and it was a pretty big puzzle so we couldn't just put it away. Of course after sitting out for 3 years, when we finally finished it, it was missing one piece.

I was ready to put it back in the box and part with it after a month, but dh insisted on finishing it. I hated that puzzle.