Menu

long term success with workboxes?

Is anyone willing to share experiences with workboxes (good, bad and in between)? I'm especially interested in long term success stories. Why has it worked well for you over the long haul? Are there particular ages and/or types of kids that this is most successful with?

I have the opportunity to hear Sue Patrick speak at a convention this summer. I'm thinking about sitting in her workshop and getting some ideas. I'm going to the convention anyway, so why not, eh?

We need organization. We need productivity. But, I'm so worried about wasting time and money on yet another organizational system that is doomed to fail (at least for me and mine).

Edited by shinyhappypeople
I'm constitutionally unable to post something without immediately editing (usually for typos, occasionally for clarification)

I've done workboxes off and on over the last few years. At first I tried using the shoeboxes that Sue Patrick recommended, but I didn't like that my supplies couldn't lay flat. I tried some 12x12 plastic Sterilite drawers, but they weren't deep enough. Now I'm using a regular bookcase and metal holder/file thingies.

I don't use use them exactly as she describes, but more to hold the current books and supplies for each different subject. I can just grab one, plop it on the table, and then put it back when that subject is finished. It's not perfect, but it's working for me right now. ETA: I don't follow any plan or use velcro numbers. I don't have special boxes for extra stuff like recess or phys ed. I have a paper "daily" plan of sorts, and when we've finished x number of boxes, or worked about an hour, we take a break and do something physical.

Edited by photojenic

We used Workboxes for three years, and overall it was great. My oldest DS was just getting into 6th grade, at a point where I needed to move him to more independent stuff and he liked moving along at a good pace. So he enjoyed the structure that workboxes provided and the ability to know what he needed to do next especially if I was busy with a baby and crazy 5 year old.

It helped me remember things I wanted to do. That was one of my worst things, I'd think, oh, tomorrow, I'll get out the counting bears for other DS and we'll do some math type stuff with them. Tomorrow would come and go, all hectic, stressful trying to get middle DS to actually do something related to schoolwork. Totally forgot about the fun things I wanted to add in.

Workboxes saved me with that because I was loading them the night before in peace and solitude, and I could visually see an empty box or two after I'd load the regular work stuff, I was able to remember to add in the fun little side projects, the counting math bears, the cake box to indicate we were going to make a cake, etc. Those were the motivators for that middle DS, because he would always look threw all of his boxes to see what he was going to do and know if he just got threw those first boxes he got to make a cake!

I didn't do it just like Sue Patrick...we used a rolling cart that has 10 drawers. I had them numbered and a matching number chart on the wall, so they moved their number over when they were done. But other than that, not much else from her book.

Here's the things I didn't like and why we eventually stopped using them this past January:

-I had to get my booty in there and load those boxes every night! If I forgot or got lazy, the next morning was not smooth. Hated that feeling.

-As oldest DS got older it was just as easy to print out his assignments from HST+ and let him go at it. Workboxes seemed redundant at his level.

-Youngest DS and middle DS do alot of the same things, like this year they will both be using Sonlight Core B, both doing same Spanish, both doing same Bible, etc...so I'd load one boy's both, and then the other just had a paper that said "Bible", etc. I dunno, it just seemed like more work than it was worth at a certain point because I had already spent time entering all of the plans into HST+, then I had to go to each boy's lessons, pull it up, go back and forth between the computer and boxes to fill them, try to decide what to put where to try to balance out this boy working on this while this other boy is working on that. Makes my brain tired.

-When I FIRST started the system, after reading her book, I felt like I HAD to add in alot of fun things and felt like I had to go out and purchase stuff to make that happen. Maybe just my own quirck.

I don't see us going back to Workboxes for the time being. I've revamped our HS room this past week and put the workbox carts next to each boys desk, with their own art supplies in each drawer.

Also, for me, since neither DS9 or DS6 are reading well on their own, there is very little independent work going on. I am pretty much next to them and instructing them on everything. Perhaps as they get better with reading, and a bit older, we'll go back to the workboxes when there's a bit more independent work going on.

I've used them for a couple of years and they work well for me and DS11. I find them very flexible: I've used them with a couple of different timetables and the workboxes have provided the linch-pin for the timetable both times. They are also great for the days when my husband has to step into the teaching role because I am busy elsewhere. I didn't pay out any money for the system, apart from the ebook, which I found very helpful (you could easily do without this, but I was happy to pay for the intellectual property). I use an old two-tier tray mobile and 6 cane baskets, all of which I had at home. I only use six "workboxes" (the baskets) each day because we only do six subjects each day. I made the tags and timetables using cardboard, contact, blutac and pictures I found on line. We don't use them anymore, but I didn't spend any money on laminating, velcro or any other bells and whistles.

The great advantage of the workboxes is that it makes me get organised before the day begins (I'm a lazy bugger, and if I can wing it, I will). Thus the day runs smoothly and we get heaps more work done. My son is not self-motivated, so having the work laid out, with a visual reminder of what he's up to and what is left works very well.

Hope this helps

Danielle

We've used them for 3+ years, and I plan to continue them through high school. They've been hugely successful here. This post has pictures and a description from when we first started, and not much has changed.

We also don't use them exactly as described in the book. (BTW, Sue Patrick has some very interesting and creative ideas, and I think you'll glean from her seminar whether or not you decide to use workboxes. I think her ideas for making centers and visually appealing worksheets, and how to make posters interactive are pretty neat. Had my kids been younger, I might have done more of those things).

Changes we have made:

-No "fun" stuff. I tried that a few times because that is supposed to motivate them to finish their work. My kids were like, "why do we have to do extra things? Why can't we just do our work?" LOL! Apparently mom's idea of fun isn't their's! They wanted to get done so they could go do their own thing and didn't need "fun" school to "motivate."

-I don't rotate subjects--they are done in the same order every day. If I rotate, it's every few days (like switching grammar & writing), but not daily.

-I labeled the drawers! So the Math drawer has a "math" label and so on!

These things have made the system easy for us to use--I don't have to put time & thought into changing things out, I don't "reload" drawers nightly (except for things that I have to check--I check their work & stick it back in the drawer, not a big deal).

I think that's a big part of why the system has been successful for me--I adapted the system to how I wanted to homeschool instead of changing how I homeschool to match the system. Of course, it never hurts to try something out, but when those things didn't work--I just used the system with how I homeschooled to make things run more smoothly. Sometimes people burn out because they try to totally revamp how they school at the same time they implement the system and it's just too much change at once.

It has also been successful for us because:

-my kids knew what to expect each day (no more temptation to drop something because it was late in the day), less complaining, less feeling overwhelmed

-my kids were motivated to see finished drawers and get work done to get on to free time

-NO MORE LOST BOOKS! We probably had things missing about once a week before. I incorporated putting things away with the system and it made a huge difference. Things are organized, they can find their rulers and protractors, no wondering whether they lost it or I did (when I checked their work) etc...

-We get more done because we didn't drop things.

I can't really think of any cons for us, it really has been a great visual organizational tool for us.

HTH some, Merry :-)

I'm currently schooling five children, and there just isn't room in my house for the workboxes. Instead I have five small plastic containers, one per child, large enough to hold an index card. I have a file box of index cards separated by my children's names with their school subjects or daily chores on. On school days I pull out the cards with the required tasks, put it in their tray and when they are finished they return it to the file box. The cards just list the general subject, ie math, science, etc. so they still may need to check with me for specifics. For us, this was a much less expensive and space saving option than the workboxes with the same general idea.

I'm not a long time user (so maybe I shouldn't even be commenting). I was really gung-ho at the beginning, but it fizzled. But, it's not because I didn't like it. I used the shelf thingy with shoe boxes. It started out well, but it just became inconvenient in our very small living area. I have it sideways (the side against the wall) and there is always something in the way and other things getting tossed in the boxes. :glare: This summer I am revamping the whole thing. I'm going to use a 2 drawer filing cabinet with hanging file folders. The file folders will be labled #1 to whatever I think we need. On the front upper corner of each file folder I'll have a velcro dot with a number that sticks on it (I made up tons of different style numbers with velcro). I'll probably just put velcro dots on the front of the filing cabinet drawer. When they take work out of the file folder they can peel the velcro number off and stick it on the front of the file cabinet drawer. Then they still have the visual as to how far they are coming along.

Just a reminder, if you go to Sue's workshop....she may imply (if not outright say) that her way of doing workboxes is the only effective way. At least this was the impression I got from reading her book. But, I'm pretty sure that every person using workboxes tweaks it and makes it their own.

I'm currently schooling five children, and there just isn't room in my house for the workboxes. Instead I have five small plastic containers, one per child, large enough to hold an index card. I have a file box of index cards separated by my children's names with their school subjects or daily chores on. On school days I pull out the cards with the required tasks, put it in their tray and when they are finished they return it to the file box. The cards just list the general subject, ie math, science, etc. so they still may need to check with me for specifics. For us, this was a much less expensive and space saving option than the workboxes with the same general idea.

This is clever thinking for a small space. I'd love to see pics.

I don't do workboxes anymore, but workfolders. It's working out a lot better for us this year. I load it up on the weekend and its ready for the week.

I'd love to hear more about how you load it for an entire week and not daily (or should I say, nightly). How are the workfolders stored?

We've used them for 3+ years, and I plan to continue them through high school. They've been hugely successful here. This post has pictures and a description from when we first started, and not much has changed.

We also don't use them exactly as described in the book. (BTW, Sue Patrick has some very interesting and creative ideas, and I think you'll glean from her seminar whether or not you decide to use workboxes. I think her ideas for making centers and visually appealing worksheets, and how to make posters interactive are pretty neat. Had my kids been younger, I might have done more of those things).

Changes we have made:

-No "fun" stuff. I tried that a few times because that is supposed to motivate them to finish their work. My kids were like, "why do we have to do extra things? Why can't we just do our work?" LOL! Apparently mom's idea of fun isn't their's! They wanted to get done so they could go do their own thing and didn't need "fun" school to "motivate."

-I don't rotate subjects--they are done in the same order every day. If I rotate, it's every few days (like switching grammar & writing), but not daily.

-I labeled the drawers! So the Math drawer has a "math" label and so on!

These things have made the system easy for us to use--I don't have to put time & thought into changing things out, I don't "reload" drawers nightly (except for things that I have to check--I check their work & stick it back in the drawer, not a big deal).

I think that's a big part of why the system has been successful for me--I adapted the system to how I wanted to homeschool instead of changing how I homeschool to match the system. Of course, it never hurts to try something out, but when those things didn't work--I just used the system with how I homeschooled to make things run more smoothly. Sometimes people burn out because they try to totally revamp how they school at the same time they implement the system and it's just too much change at once.

It has also been successful for us because:

-my kids knew what to expect each day (no more temptation to drop something because it was late in the day), less complaining, less feeling overwhelmed

-my kids were motivated to see finished drawers and get work done to get on to free time

-NO MORE LOST BOOKS! We probably had things missing about once a week before. I incorporated putting things away with the system and it made a huge difference. Things are organized, they can find their rulers and protractors, no wondering whether they lost it or I did (when I checked their work) etc...

-We get more done because we didn't drop things.

I can't really think of any cons for us, it really has been a great visual organizational tool for us.

HTH some, Merry :-)

Great ideas! I love the part about not loading with the fun things. This became my most time consuming part of it to do. Dd loved the fun things. But, I'm with you and your kids.....let's just get the work done for the day and then have time to do a fun thing of their choosing.

I also like your idea of labeling the drawer with the subject. I might do that with the file folders. That would make it easy to just put that subject right back in the same file (or drawer) so there isn't a lot of reloading every night (that got to be a pain real fast too).

I use workboxes but the broke (all of those storage units are expensive!), small space (I do not have room for the storage units or shoeboxes), and lazy (no filling any folders, binders, boxes, etc. every night) way.

My children keep all of their books, workbooks, binders, etc. in one large fabric bin from Wal-mart.

Then I have their "workbox chart". This shows them what subjects we are doing that day and in what order. They know what book to get out of ther bin for that lesson.

When we finish a subject they take the picture off of their chart and put it in a small plastic container that I leave on the table.

I have a more detailed explanation in this blog post.

How I Plan Our Homeschool Day

I love the system we have now and will keep it for the forseeable future.

I use workboxes but the broke (all of those storage units are expensive!), small space (I do not have room for the storage units or shoeboxes), and lazy (no filling any folders, binders, boxes, etc. every night) way.

My children keep all of their books, workbooks, binders, etc. in one large fabric bin from Wal-mart.

[ATTACH]8969[/ATTACH]

Then I have their "workbox chart". This shows them what subjects we are doing that day and in what order. They know what book to get out of ther bin for that lesson.

[ATTACH]8970[/ATTACH]

When we finish a subject they take the picture off of their chart and put it in a small plastic container that I leave on the table.

I have a more detailed explanation in this blog post.

How I Plan Our Homeschool Day

I love the system we have now and will keep it for the forseeable future.

Love your ideas! Going to work on trying to figure this out for our family for fall.

Our family has been using workboxes since Sue Patrick's book came out. I have tweaked it a little as most families have, but we love it. These have really been an asset to our homeschool routine and with independency for our sons as well. I ask my boys every year if they want to continue with them and they always say "YES!"

We do use the storage unit along with the plastic shoe boxes. Each of my boys have one. But, we have done away with the work chart. However, we still use the numbers on their boxes. And on each of their desks I have a colored finished work letter tray I picked up at the Target dollar spot for them to put their finished work in. Sometimes I do rotate their subjects but not often. And I fill them up the night before.

I have introduced this concept to alot of my fellow homeschool families and some of them are using them, some of them have tried and didn't work for them and some of them never tried. But, it doesn't hurt to try. Like us, it may just be what needs to happen to get structure into your homeschool days.

Blessings on your journey,

Lori, mom to 2-ds 10 & 7, and 1-dd 24 grown and out of the nest soaring.

I never read the Sue Patrick book (nor saw her) but I did my own version workboxes for while after reading about them on this forum. What I used them for was solely for "do on your own" things and I used a 6 drawer sterlite. At the time we had a lot of extras that needed "props". When she had "free" time, DD could go in and open any drawer she liked and do whatever was in it.

The nice thing was being able to make sure all the "supplies" needed were all together ready to go. The hard part was remembering to refill as she did things (since it wasn't every day or in any particular order).

We've tried a few other things since then (went more worksheety for a while and the workboxes seemed too cumbersome for a sheet of paper and a pencil) but I'm planning on going back to my version of workboxes this summer - since DD3 is getting old enough to make fun drawers to do while DD9 and I work together. Might even try it again with DD9 for the summer (doing lots of "games" for school this summer).

I use folders too and I am still doing it even with my 13 year old. I like my folders as filling them either the night before (or quickly in the morning while they go out for fresh air) makes it so I remember to make sure that worksheets are photocopied when needed. My 13 yo Aspie DS can spend more than 1/2 hour pulling out the binder for his Sonlight Science sheets then finding the right one then copying it. And then next time he needs to finish the other part he can never find it. Much better I keep track of it by filing it in his folder when needed or in my "use next" box.

I have posted about the set up I have on my blog. http://jens-busy-days.blogspot.com.au/2010/02/space-challenged-workboxes.html

I have enjoyed reading about others' long and short term successes.

Best wishes

Jen in Oz

I wrote a post on it so I wouldn't clog up this thread.

http://tendingourlordsgarden.blogspot.com/2012/06/our-own-way-of-workboxing.html

Thank you for making a blog post in my honor. I'm flattered. :lol: JK!

Thanks for explaining. The binders look really nice. I love the design on the covers and for the days of the week.

BTW...I love the owls on your blog. :001_smile:

I use folders too and I am still doing it even with my 13 year old. I like my folders as filling them either the night before (or quickly in the morning while they go out for fresh air) makes it so I remember to make sure that worksheets are photocopied when needed. My 13 yo Aspie DS can spend more than 1/2 hour pulling out the binder for his Sonlight Science sheets then finding the right one then copying it. And then next time he needs to finish the other part he can never find it. Much better I keep track of it by filing it in his folder when needed or in my "use next" box.

I have posted about the set up I have on my blog. http://jens-busy-days.blogspot.com.au/2010/02/space-challenged-workboxes.html

I have enjoyed reading about others' long and short term successes.

Best wishes

Jen in Oz

I've looked at countless workbox ideas on the internet...I think this is the first time I've seen them done as tote bags. Neat idea.

:iagree: with the bolded.

Great ideas! I love the part about not loading with the fun things. This became my most time consuming part of it to do. Dd loved the fun things. But, I'm with you and your kids.....let's just get the work done for the day and then have time to do a fun thing of their choosing.

My friend had a good solution for the "fun" things. She made up a set of laminated index cards with things like "choose a puzzle to do" or "jump on the trampoline for 10 minutes" etc... They were all decided ahead of time, and since the things might not fit in the box or were not box things (like a trampoline), the cards were a great idea. She just rotates through the cards each day, or drops them on busier days. With it all planned out ahead, she didn't have to think through them. Her kids know where to get things out & put them back etc... so that works for her. Wish I'd had that idea when my kids were younger!

Merry :-)

My friend had a good solution for the "fun" things. She made up a set of laminated index cards with things like "choose a puzzle to do" or "jump on the trampoline for 10 minutes" etc... They were all decided ahead of time, and since the things might not fit in the box or were not box things (like a trampoline), the cards were a great idea. She just rotates through the cards each day, or drops them on busier days. With it all planned out ahead, she didn't have to think through them. Her kids know where to get things out & put them back etc... so that works for her. Wish I'd had that idea when my kids were younger!

Merry :-)

This is a great idea! Thanks for sharing it.

I have used them for 3 or 4 years now I guess, but not with all children all the time. I use a coffee table with 6 clear bins from IKEA for my toddlers/preschoolers. I load them up with toys or manipulatives. That gives my little people enough to hopefully keep hands busy during school time.

My pre-K and now going into K'er next fall also loves hers. She graduated from the coffee table last year when little sister needed it. She has lidded latched sterilite bins, 12 of them, that stack in an IKEA cube setup. I reload hers pretty much each night except a few workbooks where she just moves to the next page each day. She was pretty attached to the velcro numbers and the whole thing at first but now just moves from 1 to 12 consecutively each day.

DS age 6 (a 1st grader this year) uses plastic magazine holders from Target, 6 of them. Each of his "subjects" is loosely grouped into one of those holders. He goes through all 6 each day but didn't like the velcro numbers thing. I print out a spreadsheet for him labeled as "box 1" etc instead of subjects along the Y axis and M-F along the X axis. I print out his for the whole week and give him the sheet. He puts an X on each thing as he progresses along. I load his file boxes weekly most of the time unless there is some special thing that he just uses one day (balance for his Singapore math or whatever), in which case I put it next to the box the night before.

DS age 10 completely moved from them. He liked the magazine files like my other son for a while but now just wants his weekly assignment sheet and his materials (ONLY those used that week) put in his cube in the Ikea cube room divider. He probably honestly would do better with the magazine files other DS has (oldest DS has ADHD), but doesn't want to go back to that system so just has a clipboard for anything loose, with his assignment sheet for the week clipped on top and works his way through.

I'm loosely using workboxes right now. I tried folders, file folders, boxes, and magazine files. The magazine files worked best. My current problem is that my original magazine files I bought at ikea have fallen apart so I don't have enough to have workboxes set up the way I want. I hope to buy more before we start our new year in August. I also use a clipboard checklist instead of velcro numbers. I wanted the checklist so I could keep it for records.

I'm using them with 5 kids and love them when I actually use it right.

I've been using workboxes for over a year, and as long as I actually fill them the night before, they work beautifully! Ours are color-coded (and this year, labeled) for each child, so they can easily tell which ones they still need to do. It also helps me to see what I haven't assigned for the next day yet.

Of course, this year it is going to present a small problem. My 10yo has 5 individual workboxes to my 7yo's 4 (10yo has foreign language, and we do several subjects together as a family, so those have their own boxes), but my 3yo only has one workbox (and only because he asked to do "koolwork" too). He saw the stack the other day and scowled at me because HE wants lots of "koolwork" like his big sister. LOL!

When I don't fill the boxes, schoolwork doesn't flow nicely, and I default to workbooks and not many projects. It's well worth the extra time taken to fill them each night.