Menu

How much money to give college grad?

I think you did just fine, and could probably have even gotten away with giving less, because this is just an acquaintance, not a close friend or relative.

Personally, I wouldn't have given a gift at all unless I attended a graduation party. If you went to a party for the guy, I think you were spot on with your gift. :thumbup:

I think you did just fine, and could probably have even gotten away with giving less, because this is just an acquaintance, not a close friend or relative.

Personally, I wouldn't have given a gift at all unless I attended a graduation party. If you went to a party for the guy, I think you were spot on with your gift. :thumbup:

I did go to a graduation party for her. I'm feeling good now!

I did go to a graduation party for her. I'm feeling good now!

You did just fine -- I'm sure she thinks you were very generous.

I hate trying to figure out how much to give people that I don't know too well. I know the "expected amounts" for family parties, but with casual acquaintances, I always worry that I'll mess up.

You did just fine -- I'm sure she thinks you were very generous.

I hate trying to figure out how much to give people that I don't know too well. I know the "expected amounts" for family parties, but with casual acquaintances, I always worry that I'll mess up.

:iagree: Exactly! Thanks.

We have a strict $25 limit for all gifts for non-immediate family members. Birthdays, weddings, graduations; $25, period. We just don't have a lot of extra money and have found that if we set this limit, we're not anxious about what to spend on people. Also because my MIL can get really immature when it comes to what she perceives a gift is worth compared to someone else, so this way we just avoid nonsense. Everyone gets $25 worth.

We have a strict $25 limit for all gifts for non-immediate family members. Birthdays, weddings, graduations; $25, period. We just don't have a lot of extra money and have found that if we set this limit, we're not anxious about what to spend on people. Also because my MIL can get really immature when it comes to what she perceives a gift is worth compared to someone else, so this way we just avoid nonsense. Everyone gets $25 worth.

I like this idea! I thought $20 was too small, and $40 felt like a bit too much for someone who's not a close friend, but then I thought maybe I was just being cheap, so decided on $40. Kinda wished I went with $25. Oh well, nothing to do about it now.

This is for an adult (upper 20's, married, no kids) acquaintance from church if that makes any difference. I just wondered if what I gave would be considered generous, cheap, or right on. I put a $40 check in the card. Did I hit the mark or miss it? :lurk5:

I think that's good.

Now I feel like a cheapskate. I've just been slipping $20's into cards this year. We've had so many graduations and I'd go broke otherwise.

Don't feel that way. Of the 4 grads I went to, I gave $25 to one, a book to another, and cards only for the other two. All these families are better off financially than we are, some by a considerable margin. The gifts went to the kids I know better and have a strong relationship with. I do not feel that I am obligated to give $$, especially when we cannot afford it. :001_smile: