Menu

Can you mutli-task and/or sit still while talking on the phone?

I can. I can talk on the phone and deal with the kids, if need be. I can sit down and talk on the phone.

Mh dh, however, cannot! He paces around like a Keystone Cop. You know like this :willy_nilly:. It drives me NUTS! I don't know why, it just does. He also can't deal with the kids. Apparently it is too much for him to say "Hang on a sec" and deal with a kiddo.

:001_rolleyes: Just drives me bananas.

I usually wander, but that was developed from a need to get away from rude children who don't understand that when I am on the phone is not the time to tell me everything that happened that day or about so and so's party next week. :glare: I have tried doing dishes, but it gives me a crick in my neck. Sometimes I do wipe down counters or something, but usually I accomplish nothing. :tongue_smilie:

I can. I can talk on the phone and deal with the kids, if need be. I can sit down and talk on the phone.

Mh dh, however, cannot! He paces around like a Keystone Cop. You know like this :willy_nilly:. It drives me NUTS! I don't know why, it just does. He also can't deal with the kids. Apparently it is too much for him to say "Hang on a sec" and deal with a kiddo.

:001_rolleyes: Just drives me bananas.

Dh is Exactly the same way! LOL He paces and can not do anything else. I will ask him to fold a load of laundry or some other simple task and he can't do it!

I would rather be doing something while I talk, but I can sit also. Pace....not on my list of things I want to do, but I guess I could if the urge hit me. LOL

I pace, from room to room, head outside, walk around the yard, come back in. If I am not pacing than I busy myself doing dishes, or cleaning something or on the computer. I can not focus properly if I am not in motion while on the phone, otherwise I get distracted by other things. I do think it developed due to a) avoiding interrupting children and b) monitoring quiet children. My children always seem to do their worst when they think I am distracted by the phone.

I sort of wish I could pace while I was on the phone, but the coffee would keep sloshing out of my cup. And would I have to carry the cookies with me? Logistically, the whole pacing thing seems impractical. :D

OTOH, Pacers burn more calories than Sitters. Even without taking the cookies into account. ;)

I sort of wish I could pace while I was on the phone, but the coffee would keep sloshing out of my cup. And would I have to carry the cookies with me? Logistically, the whole pacing thing seems impractical. :D

OTOH, Pacers burn more calories than Sitters. Even without taking the cookies into account. ;)

Ahh see I can not eat or drink on the phone, and if someone else is when I speak to them I usually tell them I can't talk to them right then. I have major sensory issues with the sound of people eating (including myself if the phone it on my ear it amplifies my own chewing back to me).

If it's a social call, I multi-task. I often call my mom when I'm doing something like folding laundry or cleaning the kitchen, and I'll find that she's doing the same while we're chatting. She doesn't mind if I take a second to deal with something the kids need, though if it's protracted, I'll call her back.

If it's a business call, then I really don't multi-task, unless it's nursing the baby.

On phone calls, I devote myself to the caller. I don't do things like housework or sift through paperwork. I don't have that kind of attention span. I sit still in one spot though. Pacing around would make me feel restless. However, I will certainly ask the caller to hold on a moment if my kids or DH are asking me a question. Even when the kids were little, it was never anything big.

I deal with the person on the phone only. If it is business it requires my full attention. If it is personal I still need to give them my full attention. I don't like talking on the phone a lot.

I can multitask many things but communicating with people in person or on the phone doesn't seem to be one of them.

I usually wander, but that was developed from a need to get away from rude children who don't understand that when I am on the phone is not the time to tell me everything that happened that day or about so and so's party next week. :glare: I have tried doing dishes, but it gives me a crick in my neck. Sometimes I do wipe down counters or something, but usually I accomplish nothing. :tongue_smilie:

My first thought was "how would I sit? The children find me when I'm moving!" I have much better conversations when I can find my bluetooth earbuds. Then, I can do the dishes, fold the laundry, etc, and not just walk from room to room looking at the things that need to be done. Bonus: both ears are blocked, so I can't hear the unabridged history the child has decided he/she must share at this.exact.moment. :D

Edited by MyCrazyHouse

I cannot sit still- it drives me crazy. I do my best cleaning and talking at the same time. I focus on the talking but working on mundane tasks helps me focus on the talking. It is very hard for me to just do one thing at a time.