Menu

If you are a LM Montgomery fan....

My dd is a huge fan of hers. We recently moved and are debating this very topic. Her latest is Hydrangea Hill House--we are on a hill but we only have one hydrangea so we would have to plant more to make sense (we love hydrangeas so good excuse). She also insists on "Last name's" End--despite the fact that we don't live at the end of anything, haha! My parents first home was named "Mon Caprice" with a sweet painted sign. So far no consensus. She wishes we had a green roof!

Not because of LM Montgomery, but we've always named our houses. We actually have one name that is our home, whichever house we live in. This is "Lastname Gates" because dh is Jamaican and your "gates" is your home.

Then each house we live in has a name, so we're "Lastname Gates at 'current house name' ". The house we're in now is "Shady Fifth" because it's, well, shady and a fifth of an acre.

To complicate things, we registered a herd name for our vast herd of two goats ;). Our herd name is "Herb of Grace" so I suppose they'd be "Herb of Grace at Shady Fifth" until such bright day when we move to something with more than 0.20 acres.

Our school name is our family home name plus the word "academy" until high school, then family home name plus "High School".

Sounds complicated, but we were a military family until dh retired, and we moved a lot. So our family-home-name went with us and we use it for email addresses, stationery, etc.

Edited by mamakim
not enough caffeine

Sounds complicated, but we were a military family until dh retired, and we moved a lot. So our family-home-name went with us and we use it for email addresses, stationery, etc.

That probably gives your kids a sense of continuity. What a great idea!

When I was little I named our house in San Diego "The Palms". I've never come up with anything good for our house now, but you guys are giving me some ideas...

Our lastname is Arn, and our farm is called Arnworks farm. Now to get it, you have to say iron works with a southern drawl, which is common here with Ky just a stones throw away. My husband's cousin's name growing up was Rusty Arn. That got giggles in Maysville, Ky on a Saturday night trying to talk to girls!

My dd is a huge fan of hers. We recently moved and are debating this very topic. Her latest is Hydrangea Hill House--we are on a hill but we only have one hydrangea so we would have to plant more to make sense (we love hydrangeas so good excuse). She also insists on "Last name's" End--despite the fact that we don't live at the end of anything, haha! My parents first home was named "Mon Caprice" with a sweet painted sign. So far no consensus. She wishes we had a green roof!

I like Hydrangea Hill. :) It sounds like something my family would come up with.