Menu

Must-reads for reluctant readers?

Gailmegan

Both my boys are slow readers. They "read" for an hour each day, but they don't seem to get very far. Every year when I plan ahead I get these huge lists of suggested books, but they never finish them all. I am trying to decide how to prioritize to make sure they at least hit the most important ones.

So, which books do you absolutely make sure your children have read by the time they finish 3rd and 5th grades (respectively)? If you will give me your top 5-10 for each year, that would be great. Thanks!

Edited by Gailmegan

I'm sure some will disagree with me, but my son is similar (not the same), in that he actually loves to read, but not at all the books I would pick. He generally reads non-fiction and things like Diary of a Wimpy Kid (not actually his favorite, he likes Vordark the Incomprehensible and Origami Yoda, but the style is similar - simplistic drawings with words- and Vrodak is less well known). He also loves myths (so that's a win).

Anyway, I have spent hours over the years making book lists, getting frustrated, and this year I dropped it. I got him a reading textbook of short stories (I guess CLE would be similar but we're secular). The books I want him to read, I read to him or he listens to through audible, some we pair read. Several he has gone on to read after hearing them, some he's just enjoyed and moved on.

Anyway, he's getting a lot more reading now that I'm doing his "free" reading (which he looks forward to because I no longer question him at all about it except for helping him reserve things at the library), his textbook reading (he doesn't complain about it because it was how he got his free reading- and most of the stories are short), a standard read aloud (always have done), a shared read aloud (started because he wanted a book that he was intimidated by the size), and a audiobook in the car. And, all of it is done joyfully.

HTH,

I appreciate your input Holly. Yes, they do seem to read faster when it's something they like. And we do some read-alouds too.

I guess I need to clarify. Because they read so slowly, we just can't cover that many books in a year and I want to know what 5-10 books people would absolutely want to cover for 3rd/5th grade.

I appreciate your input Holly. Yes, they do seem to read faster when it's something they like. And we do some read-alouds too.

I guess I need to clarify. Because they read so slowly, we just can't cover that many books in a year and I want to know what 5-10 books people would absolutely want to cover for 3rd/5th grade.

This isn't answering your question exactly, as my kids are y ounger. Out of the list you made, could you check at your library so see which they have on audio? Then you could cut those out of the list of ones they need to finish on their own or you need to do as read out louds.

I have reading lists made up for each grade for the next few years for my girls (currently K4 and 1st) but I have two lists, independent reading and read aloud (some of which we will cover on audio) which are well above their reading levels. My girls read more than once a day and we do read aloud twice a day (once in the afternoon and also at bedtime) plus we do audio book at lunchtime and in the car if we go anywhere. So I guess what I'm asking is are you wanting a list of read alouds or of independent readers and you said they are slow readers but are they reading on grade level?

I am looking for a list of independent reading for each of them.

I think they read on grade level, but slowly. The 5th grader is reading through The Chronicles of Narnia and Madeleine L'Engle's Kairos series right now. The 3rd grader is currently reading The Trumpet of the Swan and The Bridge to Terabithia.

For you, I recommend a book called the Book Whisperer, by a 5th grade teacher on how she got her students to be readers.

Now, that said, it could perhaps work too well. I have posted recently on special needs board that my son will now not stop reading, reading, reading.

Key is to allow the child choices. Also helps to get child to get hooked on a series (just realize if they get hooked they may not want to do anything else!) so that they want to read and their reading can get better and faster.

I would suggest a trip to a book store or book fair or library and allow them to choose, rather than to have a set of must reads.

It even may be that some of today's popular books will turn into tomorrow's classics.

I truly appreciate the time everyone has taken to respond to my thread.

Obviously I must not be expressing myself clearly because I am looking to pare down a list of books, not get suggestions on other ways to encourage or improve reading.

Please, let's just let this thread die and I will try another way.

Thanks again for your time.

Sorry everyone has been missing your point.:confused:

I've been using this site to give me ideas on books that are considered essential per grade level. You may need to pick from lower grades for a few selections. You can also check out the literature and free reading list at Ambleside Online.

Hope that helps a bit.:001_smile:

For me, 3rd grade:

Charlotte's Web

Farmer Boy

Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes

Sarah, Plain and Tall

Pippi Longstocking

5th grade:

The Phantom Tollbooth

Understood Betsy

The Princess and the Goblin

Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH

Island of the Blue Dolphins

some version of Arthurian legends and Robin Hood

Okay... I think you want high interest books that they'll want to read?

First up, if you have no objections, graphic novels. For the high literature of the graphic novel world, we adore, adore, adore:

Jeff Smith's Bone series

Kazu Kibuishi's Amulet series

Also, try some of these:

Tintin

Asterix and Oblix

Zita the Spacegirl

Missile Mouse

Lunch Lady

The Secret Science Alliance

Squish (so easy they'll read it really fast)

The Flying Beaver Brothers (another too easy one, but fun)

Moving away from the graphic novels, some series books that are fun for boys:

Dragonbreath

Super Chicken Nugget Boy

NERDS

How to Train Your Dragon

39 Clues

Artemis Fowl

Diary of a Wimpy Kid

Wayside School

any of Dan Gutman's sports series if they're into sports

Some individual titles:

How to Eat Fried Worms

The Strange Case of the Origami Yoda

Holes

Maniac Mcgee

The Mouse and the Motorcycle

Is that more like what you meant?

Edited by farrarwilliams

See, as much as I appreciate many of the books listed, why would one link a list that includes difficult classics when someone asks for help finding books for a reluctant reader? I know we all value quality literature, but it seems like these are the sort of books the OP might want to read aloud to her sons, not the sort they're going to want to read independently.

Maybe I'm not clear on what the OP wants either though. What's the priority? Is it to hit the "important" literature or to get the kids to build their fluency and be excited about reading? For me, when I see the term "reluctant reader" I think of high interest titles.

See, as much as I appreciate many of the books listed, why would one link a list that includes difficult classics when someone asks for help finding books for a reluctant reader?

But you see, the range is 3-5. Off these books, OP can choose appropriate books for her readers. They could be at grade level 3, 4, or 5. OP can pick the easiest/shortest of those and call Literature done. It seems to me that the OP is looking for only some of the best books as her children read slowly.

Is that more like what you meant?

I think she's asking the opposite - her boys can read, they just don't want to. She wants to get lots of classics in but they don't read that fast, so she wants which classics are the most important to read, not high-interest books like graphic novels or "fun" books.

I have a girl like this. She won't read anything I don't assign (even fun pulp), so I pick carefully. It's just as hard to get her to read twaddle as classics (and just as easy to get her to read classics as twaddle), so I pick classics (and she enjoys them after the fact). One thing that's worked is having a book group - she'll read anything for a book group with her friends (even if I have to remind her how many chapters to read per night).

OP, it's hard to make a short list for you - I've tried as best I can to pick stuff for my dd from among the "good" books that I think she'll enjoy. But your boys probably need a different list. For example, my dd will be reading Secret Garden next year, but not Treasure Island. If she were a boy, I'd probably go the other way - but even kids the same gender have different tastes. I'd say look at all those classic lists (Ambleside, Sonlight type lists are a great start) and try to pare based on what you know they've liked (or at least tolerated) in the past. This year (5th) among others my dd read Wind in the Willows and Jungle Book - those are pretty gender-neutral. And I'm not sure we're ever going to fit in Heidi or Anne of Green Gables, which are girly but I think aren't going to make the list for her based on her personality. Kind of makes me sad, but for this kid I'm not going to get to everything.

Edited by matroyshka

See, as much as I appreciate many of the books listed, why would one link a list that includes difficult classics when someone asks for help finding books for a reluctant reader?

She said they're reluctant, not reading-challenged. The two are not necessarily the same. The books she listed that they're reading are not remedial at all.

She said they're reluctant, not reading-challenged. The two are not necessarily the same. The books she listed that they're reading are not remedial at all.

True, but I still think high interest books is the way you turn a reluctant reader into a reader, not older classics, regardless of reading ability.

And if she wants literature instead of fun reading, then I would tend toward modern classics like Holes or The Indian in the Cupboard.

True, but I still think high interest books is the way you turn a reluctant reader into a reader, not older classics, regardless of reading ability.

And if she wants literature instead of fun reading, then I would tend toward modern classics like Holes or The Indian in the Cupboard.

Well, I don't know if OP's kids are anything like my youngest, but I've tried all those things and it hasn't done a thing. The only thing she's read without prompting are The Runaway Doll series, Alice in Wonderland (!) and the Rick Riordan books. She hasn't even gotten all the way through Harry Potter. I've let her go to the library, book store, and pick out anything she wants. But even those won't get read unless I tell her "read X chapters before bed". She is not any more enthusiastic because a book has shorter sentences or smaller words or a more "modern" setting - the converse is often true. I don't stop her from reading "high interest" books like Riordan (and I'll even suspend assigning anything else if she's reading without my asking in the extremely rare times that happen), but I'm not going to assign them.

Wow. I figured the thread would die out and I come back to all these responses. Thanks everyone. I was ready to quit because I clearly felt like I just wasn't communicating my request effectively. I have lists - wonderful lists - that I made from many of those sites recommended. I love to read and devour books quickly, so I plan ALL these books I want them to read and they just putter their way through them. I want to take my enormous lists and pare them down to the most important books to cover, just to make sure we get those in. That's why I was hoping everyone would pick their 5-10 most important. The ones that came up the most I would make a priority.

Well, I don't know if OP's kids are anything like my youngest, but I've tried all those things and it hasn't done a thing. The only thing she's read without prompting are The Runaway Doll series, Alice in Wonderland (!) and the Rick Riordan books. She hasn't even gotten all the way through Harry Potter. I've let her go to the library, book store, and pick out anything she wants. But even those won't get read unless I tell her "read X chapters before bed". She is not any more enthusiastic because a book has shorter sentences or smaller words or a more "modern" setting - the converse is often true. I don't stop her from reading "high interest" books like Riordan (and I'll even suspend assigning anything else if she's reading without my asking in the extremely rare times that happen), but I'm not going to assign them.

Matroyshka - I think your youngest would get along with my boys. I take them to the library children's section and set them loose while I look for books. I come back and ask what they picked out. Nothing. They did go through the Captain Underpants, Encyclopedia Brown, and the Magic Tree House books a while back; and currently the older would pick out Hardy Boys books, while the younger is waiting for the next Bunnicula book. But other than those, they won't CHOOSE anything. They only read what I tell them to read. When I assign them books, they truly do enjoy them (well, most of them), but they just read so slowly. Thanks for sharing your experience - it makes me feel a little less crazy.

I won't break down by grade level because every child is different but I will give you my top picks

We'll call this grades 3-4-5

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory OR James and the Giant Peach

The Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E Frankweiler

Little House on the Prairie or any one of the series

Strawberry Girl

Mr. Popper's Penguins (if you didn't read this in Grade 2)

A Cricket in Times Square

Any Title by Thorton Burgess

Wind in the Willows

Call of the Wild

Tom Sawyer

The Black Stallion or Black Beauty

Swiss Family Robinson or Treasure Island

Just my personal choices.

Matroyshka - I think your youngest would get along with my boys. I take them to the library children's section and set them loose while I look for books. I come back and ask what they picked out. Nothing. They did go through the Captain Underpants, Encyclopedia Brown, and the Magic Tree House books a while back; and currently the older would pick out Hardy Boys books, while the younger is waiting for the next Bunnicula book. But other than those, they won't CHOOSE anything. They only read what I tell them to read. When I assign them books, they truly do enjoy them (well, most of them), but they just read so slowly. Thanks for sharing your experience - it makes me feel a little less crazy.

Heh - if it makes you feel any better, my dd wasn't even tempted by Magic Treehouse or Nancy Drew or Bunnicula. Tried all of those and more. She didn't even get through the first Wimpy Kid book (see, she would have if I insisted, but who's going to insist on that?) And that's why I save "insist" for things like Wind in the Willows, which she ended up loving. I totally get it!

:iagree: Absolutely.

My reluctant reader devoured all the Roald Dahl children's books when he was 8 yo, for some reason they really inspired him. After that it wasn't difficult to require him to sit and read more difficult, or less exciting, books.

Cassy

My reluctant reader devoured all the Roald Dahl children's books when he was 8 yo, for some reason they really inspired him. After that it wasn't difficult to require him to sit and read more difficult, or less exciting, books.

My dd loves Roald Dahl. But with the exception of Fantastic Mr. Fox, she's still needed "read x chapters" to get through them, and in spite of there being a spate of them on my shelves, has not picked up any without my suggesting them first.

I think it's very hard to understand this till you've lived it... I've tried for years to ply her with "high-interest" books or let her pick whatever she wants. I got all excited when she read the Riordan books without my asking, but it hasn't translated into anything else.

Both my other dds took off and never looked back after finding a series that they loved. Not this one.

My dd loves Roald Dahl. But with the exception of Fantastic Mr. Fox, she's still needed "read x chapters" to get through them, and in spite of there being a spate of them on my shelves, has not picked up any without my suggesting them first.

I think it's very hard to understand this till you've lived it... I've tried for years to ply her with "high-interest" books or let her pick whatever she wants. I got all excited when she read the Riordan books without my asking, but it hasn't translated into anything else.

Both my other dds took off and never looked back after finding a series that they loved. Not this one.

I have one just like this as well. :grouphug: He wouldn't ever finish a book if I didn't assign the chapters, even high-interestes books that my oldest read in a couple days. The only thing he will finish is Garfield and Diary of a Wimpy Kid (he has read those books over and over). And I was really surprised when he read an entire Captain Fact chapter book without chapter assignments last week. Maybe we're moving out of this phase?

But he will read anything that I ask him to read including classics. I just have to assign the chapters and keep reminding him to read. So it feels slooooowww to get through anything! He will always say he likes the book but he doesn't have the desire to see it to the end and know the conclusion.

DH says he was that way until about 7th grade. :001_huh: Which surpises me because he reads all the time now. That's too many years to miss out on enjoying books!

:iagree::iagree: Fantastic Mr. Fox is the only Dahl book she made it through on her motivation alone, even as a read-aloud. She enjoys things when she does read them, and she's definitely reading more now than she used to, but she generally only picks up a book on her own when she's in bed & doesn't want to sleep--then she'll read by flashlight. Even then it takes her several nights in a row to finish one very short ("easy" per her) chapter book, if she does. Normally she reads a few chapters and then moves on. During the day, she doesn't usually pick up anything with text in it.

Edited by LittleIzumi

You all are making me feel a lot better. Mine thoroughly enjoyed the Dahl books but could not get into the Wimpy Kid books.

I am working on paring down my list. They have read a number of ones suggested, but not all - not by a long shot. Maybe I will post my current lists when I get a free second this afternoon and you all can help me decide how to prioritize. :D

For that age group, I would say that The Phantom Tollbooth by Norman Juster would appear on my list of canonical kidlit, along with something from James Thurber (The 13 Clocks) and E. Nesbit (The Five Children and It).

P.S. I just wanted to second the recommendation of Donalyn Miller's The Book Whisperer as food for thought. I just read it and it truly changed some of my thoughts about books and reading. And now I will run out of the room at great speed so you don't feel misunderstood/ganged-up on. Byeee!

You all are making me feel a lot better. Mine thoroughly enjoyed the Dahl books but could not get into the Wimpy Kid books.

I am working on paring down my list. They have read a number of ones suggested, but not all - not by a long shot. Maybe I will post my current lists when I get a free second this afternoon and you all can help me decide how to prioritize. :D

Yes, I think it would be easier to look at the larger list of books you are considering.

Wow. I figured the thread would die out and I come back to all these responses. Thanks everyone. I was ready to quit because I clearly felt like I just wasn't communicating my request effectively. I have lists - wonderful lists - that I made from many of those sites recommended. I love to read and devour books quickly, so I plan ALL these books I want them to read and they just putter their way through them. I want to take my enormous lists and pare them down to the most important books to cover, just to make sure we get those in. That's why I was hoping everyone would pick their 5-10 most important. The ones that came up the most I would make a priority.

Hi. I'm sorry. I understood what you wanted, but was trying to get at something else which was that I thought it would be better: to try to aim at engaged readers, rather than reluctant readers who have grudgingly read a few top pick books this next year. The latter will be of less benefit over life, IMO.

But now after reading the above, I am not so sure you do have reluctant readers. They seem to choose some books, just not ones you would choose. The books you have them reading are fairly hard books for many children. Reading fluency target rates for gr. 3 are around 100 words per minute, for grade 5, 120 wpm. Possibly it could be helpful to look and see if they are able to read the books you want them to read at that rate or not. If they cannot, it may be hard for them to get the flow going to allow the books to be pictured in their minds as they go as easily as would be needed and that could lead to reluctance with such books as compared to easier books. Magic Treehouse is what my son and his former bricks and mortar school classmates were all reading recently (3rd grade). It was not considered inappropriate reading for that stage. Similarly, Hank the Cowdog, which is a bit harder reading, and funny, but less interesting as to historical aspects that also come up.

I don't really believe there are any "must-reads" for those grades, but would probably second something by Laura Ingalls Wilder as being useful. I would also suggest something by Ben Carson (non-fiction, because they talk about the importance of reading in his life among other things) for both boys. My son whose stage is between yours is enjoying Rick Riordan books, which are not old classics, but I think are perfectly fine reading, and can get some interest in mythology going too. Maybe some fun books like Mr. Popper's Penguins, or can't recall exact title , but something along lines of Tales of a 4th Grade Nothing, or The Fourth Story Mistake, and Because of Winn-Dixie would be helpful. Dare I suggest Harry Potter?

As for classics, my son liked seeing a BBC version of Oliver Twist and, I expect, will read that as his first Dickens book in or around 5th grade. He tried an abridged version, but found it too abridged. The book after the movie might be something that your older son would like too.

I re-recommend The Book Whisperer to your attention.

ETA: This has stayed in my mind. I was listening to my son read aloud, and thought I'd add that it might help to have your boys do that and see how they are able to do with the books you are having them read. It is really slow that they are reading from your description--enough to make me wonder why so slow. It could be they are too hard for your boys as compared to their current reading fluency and reading level. It could be that there is an unrecognized vision problem or something like dyslexia... Well. Sorry again. I'll butt out now for good on this thread. Good luck in any case.

Edited by Pen

ETA: This has stayed in my mind. I was listening to my son read aloud, and thought I'd add that it might help to have your boys do that and see how they are able to do with the books you are having them read. It is really slow (and I think you even used the term "painfully slow"?) that they are reading from your description--enough to make me wonder why so slow. It could be the books you are assigning are too hard for your boys as compared to their current reading fluency and reading level. It could be that there is an unrecognized vision problem or something like dyslexia... Well. Sorry again. I'll butt out now for good on this thread. Good luck in any case.

Well, I was going to let it die ;), but since the thread keeps popping back up, here's my list. They are the ones both I feel have merit and my son enjoyed.

Anything by Lynne Reid Banks (Indian in the Cupboard for the older, Harry the Poisonous Centipede for the younger)

The Hobbit

The BFG, Charlie and The Chocolate Factory, James and the Giant Peach (if they're only going to do one, probably Charlie and the Chocolate Factory- it's fun to compare the 2 movie versions to the book)

The Phantom Tollbooth

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe

Dominic

Where the Mountain Meets the Moon

DS tends to like books with interesting characters-imaginative worlds, so this may not be your kids cuppa.

HTH,

You can give them the MWIA and compare WPM rates on holistic and phonetic words. The 8 year old should miss 1 word or less on each portion of the MWIA II and should be reading at least 60 WPM, 80 is better. The 10 year old should not miss any words and should be reading at least 80 WPM, 90 or above is better. They also should read both portions within 10 to 15% of the same speed, a slower speed on the phonetic portion indicates a need for phonics remediation and nonsense words.

My remedial students initially slow down a bit as they work with nonsense words and learn new rules but eventually improve about 20 to 40 WPM (words per minute) after a few months of work.

Here is the link for the MWIA and some reading grade level tests. I like the NRRF reading grade level test best for those ages.

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/readinggradeleve.html

Edited by ElizabethB

From a mom with another reluctant reader -- have you tried audio books? You could add some of the books you'd like to cover as audios and likely double your must read list.

My 11 year old is dyslexic and he reads what I make him for school, but little else. My 9 yr old ds enjoys reading (but still is more interested in lots of pictures, graphic novels, etc.). I think its just being boys. For both I plan their school reading (and I even use picture books for a 5th grader), but I let them choose most of their bedtime reading/audio books. I make suggestions. And I say just try 3 chapters...then you can switch to something else if you don't like it. I don't make them read/listen at bedtime, but if they don't its lights out. ;)

Eldest listens to his book at other times as well. My DH didn't read much until after college. Elder might never read for enjoyment. But at least this way he's developing a bedtime habbit, learning vocabulary, practicing narration when he tells me about his book, and learning pronunciation.

Nicole