Menu

For Singapore users

Targhee

Do you/did you use the home educator's or other teacher's guide?

I am pretty competent with math, but I am wondering if the teacher's guides addressed drills, activities for reinforcement, etc. or if you just get the supplementary problems books? We're testing out 1A this summer along with Miquon Orange - so far DD is cruising through it, but knowing that this isn't a spiral program I am worried if we go too fast it will diminish retention.

We go over the unit in the text, doing the examples and discussing, then she completes the exercises in the workbook. Simple enough. She gets the answers right. Do I do anything else??

My eldest is completing 1B right now. I don't have either of the teacher's guides. I do, however, use the Intensive Practice, Extra Practice (this is used when he's at his sitter's and I'm at work), and Challenging Word Problem books. This sounds like a lot; but, I don't have him do every problem, especially when he has already demonstrated conceptual understanding of a given topic.

I don't know if I'll use/need the instructor's guides in the higher levels, though.

I have the IG just to give me the confidence that I'm teaching it the Singapore way, since it's not the way I learned math. For more drill, we use MathUSee's online drill game. We also add in the CWP(a unit behind) and the IP(a semester behind). Hope that helps!

I buy the HIGs. I think they are very helpful although so far I haven't consulted them a lot. (We're finishing up 3B) I highly recommend the Challenging Word Problems. They can be very...challenging! My boys actually enjoy working on them. This year we're going to try out the Intensive Practice books too.

We've never used them because they weren't available when we started. We just go through the text together. If I feel that a lesson could use some manipulatives, we pull some out. After that, they do the corresponding exercises in the workbook. On occasion, we have used the supplemental materials, such as challenging word problems and extra practice workbooks, but not regularly.

I am very glad to have them for the New Elementary Math Series (grades 7 - 10) because there are things in those books that I don't remember how to do (or are just plain challenging for even me who majored in math.) However, they don't have them for the upper levels, which has me a little nervous. I may need to hang out at the SingaporeMath boards when things get tougher.

We started with Singapore this year in 3A and I bought the HIG for that one. I used it only a few times. My ds is pretty math savvy so he catches onto the concepts quickly. We did 3B without it with no problems. I do plan on buying them for 4b and up, so I have the extra help if he gets stuck.

I started 1A dd and ended up purchasing the HIG midway through the book. SO GLAD I did. I have a math minor and am pretty proficient in math. However, I don't know how to teach and Singapore teaches math in a different manner than I learned it. We complete 1A and 1B with the HIG's and I highly recommend them.

They offer many methods of teaching the concept with manipulatives, number bonds, etc and I found the investment well worth the extra $$..

We also use the Intensive Practice and the Challenging Word Problems.

I would recommend them for the first year of the program to help familiarize yourself with Asian math and for 2B. We came to Singapore from Right Start, so I already had the Asian math thing down, but there are mental math strategies in the 2B HIG that are not taught in the text.

I don't refer to it too often but when I do need to, it's nice to have them around. I like the Home Instructor's Guide and I used it for 3A to 6B with my kids. There are some problems that I don't know how to do. Now, it would be really handy to have a solution book for the Challenging Word Problems. If anybody decides to write one, I'll buy a copy from you.

I don't refer to it too often but when I do need to, it's nice to have them around. I like the Home Instructor's Guide and I used it for 3A to 6B with my kids. There are some problems that I don't know how to do. Now, it would be really handy to have a solution book for the Challenging Word Problems. If anybody decides to write one, I'll buy a copy from you.

You can always ask Jenny at the http://www.singaporemath.com forums if you're stuck on how to solve a problem.

No. I began using Singapore Primary Math before any of these additional teaching resources were available, and I've never missed them. I find the textbook and workbook sufficient. I've added in supplemental SM workbooks from time to time as extra practice, but I don't consider the home eductaor's guides necessary.

I have combined Singapore with Saxon, but work a year ahead for Saxon. For example, for second grade I used Saxon 3. We find it doable because Saxon has so much repetition. Then I supplement with Singapore at the correct grade level (so Singapore 2 level for a second grader.) For some this may seem like too much math, but I really enjoy it. We did slow down a little more towards the end of Saxon 3, because Saxon tends to save the "fun stuff" for the last quarter of the book.

I think the Singapore solutions manuals could be useful, but I've never used one.

Last year, all I supplemented with were the workbooks from Singapore, but (after reading many posts on this website :)) for this fall I purchased Challenging Word Problems.

For your daughter, I would periodically quiz her on older topics that you covered in the previous two sections. Then after this, I would quiz her back to the beginning of the book if the material has not been built upon from section to section. Then you are spiralling a little, and you should be able to tell if she's retaining it.

I am pretty competent with math, but I am wondering if the teacher's guides addressed drills, activities for reinforcement, etc. or if you just get the supplementary problems books? We're testing out 1A this summer along with Miquon Orange - so far DD is cruising through it, but knowing that this isn't a spiral program I am worried if we go too fast it will diminish retention.

We go over the unit in the text, doing the examples and discussing, then she completes the exercises in the workbook. Simple enough. She gets the answers right. Do I do anything else??

If you're big into the mental math, there is a lot of it in the HIG that isn't in the text/workbooks.

I've had to look up solutions to word problems occasionally (level 5), so it's helpful for that. I like having the background info, although I find their explanations are rather wordy and often present the concept in a more complicated manner than needed.

I think DD would balk at Saxon - "I already did this!" is a common complaint I hear from her (about many things). What prompted my question here was that I was reading an article about Singapore math in a public school and they mentioned a speed drill that was "an important part of Singapore" math - which got me thinking about instruction and use of the materials. If we could have a simple (their speed drill was one minute) activity or two each day to reinforce and practice I think that would be enough. So I wanted to know if information about these kinds of activities or other teaching methods were in the instructor's guide. The reason Singaporean students always score so high in math tests isn't due solely to a textbook. It has to do with they way math is taught, the emphasis it gets, and the cultural support.

Thanks for all the input. I think I may get the first home IG and then decided if I will get anymore. :001_smile:

What prompted my question here was that I was reading an article about Singapore math in a public school and they mentioned a speed drill that was "an important part of Singapore" math - which got me thinking about instruction and use of the materials.
We don't do speed drills, but I do have my oldest do almost all calculations mentally. I don't have a sense of how long we can keep this up, but she has become very proficient at mental math.

I did use the Teacher's Guide this past year for 4A/B. However, I found that I only used it to help make sure that my son had the right answers. Most of the time, I hardly used the suggestions. My son understood fractions and decimals pretty well. I never bought the guides before this year. My oldest son started in 2A and has continued ever since. He loves this math program. He has certain curriculum that he just loves to do. Singapore is one of them.

Singapore has been an excellent fit for my oldest son. He does well with this program. He took to it right away and always loves to do math. He takes the IOWAs every year and he scores high in the math section. So, this program fits my child's learning style. So, I do not use the guides too much, just for the answer key.

Sincerely,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony