Menu

DS found a coin

while out with his new metal detector today. It looks identical to this one. He's convinced it's the real deal and I'm trying to tell him not to get his hopes up, but an 11 year old who was already on a quest for buried treasure finds a coin like this buried under the ground, and you can imagine. It's really quite sweet but I don't want him to be overly disappointed to find out it's a souvenier/replica.

Anyway, he wants to take it somewhere to have it looked at but I don't have a clue where. Anybody have any ideas where to go? I figured since The Hive knows all, I should come here first. :tongue_smilie:

You want an ANA coin dealer. If they think it is genuine you want to get it slabbed. You pay about $25 and the dealer will send it off to be graded and authenticated. It will also be sealed in a box like your Picture. Good luck.

Thank you all! DS is so excited about going right out this morning to have it looked at. I've been searching for a coin shop this morning. I guess it's one of those things that's completely off my radar because I don't remember ever seeing one anywhere around here, but when I do a search they're popping up all around me.

I'll update with whatever we find out about it.

Totally cool, my Zee would FLIP if he found that!

Zee likes to metal detect with daddy. It's their 'thing'. Now both the little boys are WAY into coins. Like, ridiculously. :D Like, most days I end up saying some version of 'Ok, mommy needs a break from hearing about coins for a while please!'.

Let us know what you find out!

Okay, just got home and as expected, it's not real. But the guys at the coin shop were both metal detector guys (is there a term for this?) and thought it was so cool. All the other people in the shop wanted to see it too and were so jealous that they hadn't been the ones to find it.

DS was a little disappointed but not surprised and just loved being in that shop. I ended up buying him a book about coins, some plastic coin and bill seperator pages that you put in a 3-ring binder, and a few other tidbits to help him organize his collection.

He bought a small lot of antique coins at an auction last year that have been sitting in a box so now he's all excited to sort them and look them up. Overall, it was a lot of fun and could lead to a nice hobby for him. :001_smile:

Guest submarines
Okay, just got home and as expected, it's not real. But the guys at the coin shop were both metal detector guys (is there a term for this?) and thought it was so cool. All the other people in the shop wanted to see it too and were so jealous that they hadn't been the ones to find it.

DS was a little disappointed but not surprised and just loved being in that shop. I ended up buying him a book about coins, some plastic coin and bill seperator pages that you put in a 3-ring binder, and a few other tidbits to help him organize his collection.

He bought a small lot of antique coins at an auction last year that have been sitting in a box so now he's all excited to sort them and look them up. Overall, it was a lot of fun and could lead to a nice hobby for him. :001_smile:

What an adventure! I'm curious--how do they determine that it wasn't real? Thanks for the update.:001_smile:

What an adventure! I'm curious--how do they determine that it wasn't real? Thanks for the update.:001_smile:

I guess it can get complicated if there's some doubt about whether or not it's real, but in this case he said it was fairly obvious that it had come from a poured mold vs. being punched out. Apparently if there are no hammer marks around the edge that's also a sign that it's not real.

It did turn out to be a cool little adventure though, especially for an 11 year old boy. :tongue_smilie: He's up in his room now sorting through his coins and checking his book to see if they're rare and/or worth anything. He said he needs one of those little maginifiers that you can hang around your neck (like the guy in the shop had) so he can see the coins more clearly. I think this hobby is gonna cost me money. :glare:

You might want to look for some coin shows around the area.

I think you are talking about a jeweler loop, we have several here. You can pick them up at hobby shops and oftentimes you'll find them in jewelry stores. Dd here has learned to use them, and she knows how to find gold marks among the junk jewelry at thrift shops. She has a fairly impressive stash of precious metals.

We bought binders this year for coins, the state quarter series, I'd also like to get the National Parks binder.

I took her to a stamp show last weekend, the adult collectors just swooned over every kid that walked in; they really love to mentor the excitement.

Dh and my brother both collect coins so my kids do. We have taken them to a huge show in Orlando which they love. Some nice people here(UK) have given them Roman coins found in fields. We live on the London to York Roman Road so great potential for finding coins. We really need to take a metal detector out -- just not sure where we can go legally.

Anyway it is a great hobby. I'm sorry it wasn't real but what a learning experience!

You might want to look for some coin shows around the area.

I think you are talking about a jeweler loop, we have several here. You can pick them up at hobby shops and oftentimes you'll find them in jewelry stores. Dd here has learned to use them, and she knows how to find gold marks among the junk jewelry at thrift shops. She has a fairly impressive stash of precious metals.

We bought binders this year for coins, the state quarter series, I'd also like to get the National Parks binder.

I took her to a stamp show last weekend, the adult collectors just swooned over every kid that walked in; they really love to mentor the excitement.

I'm going to start looking for some coin shows around here. I figure there must be something going on somewhere around here considering I live in the greater Chicago area, right?

How fun! This reminds of the time my oldest daughter brought me what looked like 5 diamond earrings. I asked her where the heck she got them and she said she'd picked them up from airport floors when she was little (she used to travel with her grandma a lot). She has Asperger's and is like a magpie when it comes to shiny things :)

None of them were real either. Oh well. It was exciting to imagine they were.