Menu

So we got Beast Academy and my son looooves it....

Halcyon

:thumbup: good to hear!!!

I'd be interested if either of you (or anyone else) have any comments on Stripe's recent thoughts on the other thread (here and here)

My very short thoughts on this are that (1) I never saw BA as a program intended for geniuses and (2) the fact still remains that no program is going to be perfect for all kids.

For me, the beauty of BA is the presentation (perfect for my visual-spatial learners) and the more challenging, puzzle-like problems. If they bore of the easier problems, we will skip some, but I won't give up the presentation and challenging problems.

He has found the section on isosceles, right, acute, obtuse, scalene challenging because it's his first time learning the definitions, and finding the "scalene obtuse" triangle in the puzzle is hard! But I heard the first couple chapters are more challenging than the rest, so he's pressing forward.

He has found the section on isosceles, right, acute, obtuse, scalene challenging because it's his first time learning the definitions, and finding the "scalene obtuse" triangle in the puzzle is hard! But I heard the first couple chapters are more challenging than the rest, so he's pressing forward.

Yep! We went back to those definitions couple of times just to nails down the terminology. Enjoy!!! And good luck trying to persuade him to do his "regular" program:D

I'd be interested if either of you (or anyone else) have any comments on Stripe's recent thoughts on the other thread (here and here)

I understand what she means, but for us, it is still working out well. While my kid is expected to work through easy problems himself, we now approach super challenging ones as a lesson. Basically we work through it together and several days later I create a similar problem that he is expected to work through alone. We also use that approach with SM CWP for occasional problems. It helps avoid frustration and teaches valuable problem solving skills.

Welcome back you naughty girl! :p hehehehe Glad your son likes the math. I need to look into that myself. What grades is it for??

It's for third graders, or students doing 3rd grade math. My younger just began MM3 so he's just the right age. He adores it, but then, this is a child who has read all his Calvin & Hobbes at least 15 times each. :D

I understand what she means, but for us, it is still working out well. While my kid is expected to work through easy problems himself, we now approach super challenging ones as a lesson. Basically we work through it together and several days later I create a similar problem that he is expected to work through alone. We also use that approach with SM CWP for occasional problems. It helps avoid frustration and teaches valuable problem solving skills.

i will let you know what i think as we progress--I'll probably just post in the mega BA thread.

It's for third graders, or students doing 3rd grade math. My younger just began MM3 so he's just the right age. He adores it, but then, this is a child who has read all his Calvin & Hobbes at least 15 times each. :D

Thanks for the details on the program and may I say your son has EXCELLENT taste! Calvin and Hobbes ruled! hehehehe

I'm very enamored of the Beast Academy materials. My son begs to do them, often protesting about his math time cut short because it is time to go to bed. So I don't relate.

The problems to me represent a nice rage of challenge. MEP users are going to be spoiled relative to everyone else by coming from a program that has a consistently high level of challenge. BA isn't the only game in town, but the whole package is one that grabs my child in a way that MEP (for all its worthiness) does not. The fun of the format is part of the draw. But beyond that the work is highly interesting in its own way.

Bill

I looked at the posts that were linked here. My son LOVES to read the Beast Academy Books. Seriously, he doesn't read anything "for fun" but will read comics. (He reads when instructed that he absolutely has to...) So, when I have books like Beast Academy that he willingly reads... I think that's pretty cool, just as another way to sneak in some reading. He is doing some of the problems... For math level... He's in Singapore 4.

For me, the beauty of BA is the presentation (perfect for my visual-spatial learners) and the more challenging, puzzle-like problems. If they bore of the easier problems, we will skip some, but I won't give up the presentation and challenging problems.

Thanks for reminding me about the VSL angle!

Interesting approach...

The fun of the format is part of the draw. But beyond that the work is highly interesting in its own way.

Thanks for your thoughts. (I'm starting to wonder if lately I've been spending too much time thinking about teaching math and not enough time actually teaching it... it's going to be a busy summer)

I'm very curious why you were banned.....but I'll just leave it to my imagination. ;)

Glad your ds likes beast! We are shelving it until fall, since we keep needing to stop and learn things, like adding and subtracting with borrowing. But, it's good incentive, "the sooner we do this, the sooner we can get back to beast. :D

.....but I couldnt share the news with anyone :(............until now! I'm back! :D:D i missed you guys!!

Ps he really does love it...cried when i told him at 9 pm he needed to stop doing math and go to bed :lol:

Welcome back:party:

I am sorry you were banned, but it was a fun night:D

We are loving Beast Academy too. We are almost through chapter 3.

Welcome back you naughty girl! :p hehehehe Glad your son likes the math. I need to look into that myself. What grades is it for??

It is for 3rd grade, but my son started doing it last month and he is about half way through 4th grade math. He enjoys it, but still finds it challenging. It is just so different than anything else out there. My dh even learnt something new last week:lol:

Nicole