Menu

What to do for science (esp if you've used MPH)?

I'm trying to figure out next year's science for The Sponge. She'll be 7. She's the science hound. We pretty much wrapped up BFSU I. We are using RSO Life as summer fluff (aaaaaah, so dang light, it's driving me crazy but it's fun for summer). I want to do half interest-led and half formal science next year. It worked well last year with BFSU. But what to use with it?

I have RSO Chem but I want to wait a year. She has essentially zero interest in chemistry right now. It's all about biology and physics for her.

I don't think she's quite ready for BFSU II. I plan to fly through RSO Chem and then dive into BFSU for 3rd grade, but not now.

NOEO, ScienceFusion, Nancy Larson, all too light for her.

I've heard good things about MPH, esp with the HOTS books, correct? I was thinking about using that for next year. However. I looked it up on Singapore's site. The ToC and the samples for 3/4 look really light (compared to what dd already knows). The HOTS are the only pages that look like they will require dd to think for a minute, and even then I'm pretty sure she could do them right now if I gave them to her. She'd enjoy it--she loves all science stuff. She could do it herself, which would be nice. But it wouldn't stretch her or teach her much at all. So I looked at 5/6. That ToC looks more promising, the text/activity pages look right at her level, and the HOTS would definitely stretch her. Will probably need handholding in the HOTS, honestly. But... it's 5/6! That can't be right for a 7-year-old. Can it? :confused: Is MPH actually harder than the samples indicate?

Edited by LittleIzumi

The text and activity books for MPH are pretty light. Same with Homework. I use it and a bunch of extra library books. Then the HOTS and Tests do add a lot. HOTS has questions with multiple answers and it's definitely tricky IMO in some areas and promotes thinking.

5/6 assumes a continuation from 3/4.

I think HOTS and Tests are a bit higher than the samples show...but depending on your child's strengths, it may still be easy. It's a good fit here and my son generally is in the 80s on HOTS and Tests.

I don't really have time to answer this right now, but I tagged the thread so you can read the older reviews. We have used Singapore straight through from MPH to the high school books with a science-and-math kid, and been uniformly happy with it.

If you PM me later I can go on and on.

We have MPH 3/4 and they are a "zzzzzzz" for my big girl and I bought them when she was about 5.5 (she's turning six in two weeks). We only did a small amount before I stopped. She is also a science nut.

Edited by MissKNG

Alli did 5a-6b last year, at age 6-7, and loved them. There's a lot more depth in the HOTS and workbook (and tests, which I got with one set of books, but not the other) than in the textbooks. We're going to try Prentice-Hall Science Explorer, which is a middle school series next year for Earth science.

I had to jump up to about 5th grade to really get into topics in the kind of depth she wanted. I'm hoping that we can stay on middle school level for a couple of years and let her math skills get to where she can handle a high school level text.

I haven't used it, but it sounds like MPH might be a fit. I have a science nut and for the earlier years I used:

living books

DVDs

microscope

nature studies

studying one topic in depth

college astronomy lectures

RS4K Pre-Level Chemistry

Creepy Crawlies and the Scientific Method

Plus a lot of free time was spent reading chunky science books, using astronomy software, exploring science websites, and watching science DVDs.

I started him on a textbook this year (4th) for part of our science. The rest of our science is studies I put together on botany and mammals using library books and videos. We are doing science today and planting tons of vegetables, making a worm bin, and planning for a weekend zoo trip to find mammals of orders we recently studied. I'm using CPO Physical, Space, and Earth Science. It has lots of math and is designed for 9th grade. It fits him well and I help him with any difficult math. He has actually learned a bit of math using this book.

Thanks everyone. I read some of the tagged posts, too. It looks like it won't be a very good fit right now, at least not without supplementing and I want our other time to be interest-led instead. I might just get the HOTS books and go through those with some living books as a supplement to our interest-led until she's ready for Chem/BFSU II.

Thanks everyone. I read some of the tagged posts, too. It looks like it won't be a very good fit right now, at least not without supplementing and I want our other time to be interest-led instead. I might just get the HOTS books and go through those with some living books as a supplement to our interest-led until she's ready for Chem/BFSU II.

If you do HOTS, I'd love to hear how it goes. Please keep us updated if you do find something else that's a good bridge between BFSU 1 and 2.

Also, you mentioned Science Fusion as being too light--have you thought about bumping up several grades? We're not doing it but I have bookmarked some for DS (5 years) to do over the summer, and I had to go up at least 2 grades to get something substantial.

I know BFSU, but what do these other abbreviations stand for?

There's a link to a common abbreviation thread on the K8 board.

MPH stands for My Pals are Here - two levels: 3/4 and 5/6. Science from Singapore. HOTS is their Higher Order Thinking Skills. I don't have the other abbreviations handy :)

If you do HOTS, I'd love to hear how it goes. Please keep us updated if you do find something else that's a good bridge between BFSU 1 and 2.

Also, you mentioned Science Fusion as being too light--have you thought about bumping up several grades? We're not doing it but I have bookmarked some for DS (5 years) to do over the summer, and I had to go up at least 2 grades to get something substantial.

I went up two grades and according to dd, "I didn't learn anything but it was so super fun." (Everything science and interactive is fun!) To get meaty enough I'd be heading into grades requiring algebra.

What about Ellen McHenry's programs? She does a great job at making advanced concepts accessible to young learners. I know you said your DD wasn't interested in chem right now but what about Cells and The Brain?

Oh, I did forget about those. I'll check them out again. I just ran across my sample of her photosynthesis relay this week, too. Thanks!!

Alli did 5a-6b last year, at age 6-7, and loved them. There's a lot more depth in the HOTS and workbook (and tests, which I got with one set of books, but not the other) than in the textbooks. We're going to try Prentice-Hall Science Explorer, which is a middle school series next year for Earth science.

We moved from MPH 5/6 to PHSE this spring and it went really well. Our library actually has several of the books so I let DD pick one to use to finish up science for the year, and I think it is a great fit for her.

Agreeing with everyone else that the HOTS book is great. I really wanted to like the entire program, but DD had already done so many of the experiments in outside classes that those were not very thrilling, and the textbooks and activity books are, as others have mentioned, a bit thin.

We moved from MPH 5/6 to PHSE this spring and it went really well. Our library actually has several of the books so I let DD pick one to use to finish up science for the year, and I think it is a great fit for her.

Is there anywhere to view samples of PHSE? I didn't see any samples on their site or Amazon. TIA!

sorry for the slight derail, but can you do HOTS without having the corresponding textbooks?

I'd say yes, if you've covered those topics. I think it would be tricky though.

I find HOTS requires some info that's in the text, activities, and TM...and sometimes I still find them tricky :001_smile:

To get meaty enough I'd be heading into grades requiring algebra.

No, there are lots of other things you can focus on!

Has she read:

The way things work (about physics)

The way life works (about biochemistry)

Cartoon guide to genetics

Also what about oceanography or environmental science as extensions of biology?

And you know I am going to tell you to do an investigation. It is by far the best way to really get into science. My ds(8) lives and breathes his project right now; his whole focus is soil. And it is HIS study. I have not written it up yet, but we have found out that the soil depth appears to be fractal! So now every time I turn around, he is noticing fractal geometry and questioning all observations on different spacial scales and time scales. Very exciting!

Ruth in NZ

Edited by lewelma

Is there anywhere to view samples of PHSE? I didn't see any samples on their site or Amazon. TIA!

I don't know of anyplace online. I stumbled across a few in our library's homeschool section, so I just got very lucky. I would describe them as having all of the visual appeal of most textbooks (think colorful pics, data tables, sidebars) but the text itself is meaty and well-written -- a lot of the other texts were nice to look at but light on actual content.

Has she read:

And you know I am going to tell you to do an investigation. It is by far the best way to really get into science. My ds(8) lives and breathes his project right now; his whole focus is soil. And it is HIS study. I have not written it up yet, but we have found out that the soil depth appears to be fractal! So now every time I turn around, he is noticing fractal geometry and questioning all observations on different spacial scales and time scales. Very exciting!

Ruth in NZ

Ah, yes, the cartoon guides! Our library has some--thanks for the reminder. I've been following your investigations with GREAT interest. I'm still quite unsure on how to conduct them in our home. Yesterday dd proposed a study on the relative sizes of dragonfly to prey--what sizes of insects can dragonflies of various sizes eat. My ideas so far are :confused: and :001_huh:. :lol: (She has actually hand-caught a dragonfly, but I don't think she could catch enough and catch enough live prey to really make a study of it.)

Soil depth is fractal?!

Edited by LittleIzumi

Has she read:

Ruth in NZ

Ruth, you are ever the voice of reason. Thank you! Dd9 would love an investigation in the future.

And I 'second' the MacAulay books.

Has she read:

Ruth in NZ

This is one of my favorite authors for kids! The civilizations project I described in the other thread was based off his Motel of Mysteries book. The architectural books are awesome too.

Ruth, you are ever the voice of reason. Thank you! Dd9 would love an investigation in the future.

Beth,

I am feeling a bit like an advertisement this week, but have you seen my write up of my dc's science fair projects this year? Given your dd's love of inquiry-based science, the scope of these projects might be the next level for her. http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=361740

Ruth