Menu

Pick my spelling for me....

I'm satisfied with everything I've lined up for the coming fall quarter, except spelling.

What we've used: Spelling Workout-really a complete bust. I likely used it too early but I couldn't find rhyme or reason to the lists and neither could my boys.

Currently-Wheeler's Elementary Speller. This has been better. At least the lists make more sense to me and I like to have the children mark the words. While it has been helpful for my more natural speller (my hFA son, go figure!) it really hasn't been translating to my older son's writing. And Wheeler doesn't seem to cover spelling rules.

What I do have: I've got The Writing Road to Reading. I'm probably just too dumb to use it. I have tried to tackle the thing a couple of times, but I get bogged down. I've also got The ABC's and All Their Tricks and love that book. But I'm not sure how to use it as a speller.

Issues: For me as the teacher.

1. I can't deal with a lot of materials or things that are cut up and have to moved around. No tiles!!!! I cannot compromise on this. If you want to see a class A Momma melt-down just hand me a box of letter tiles.

2. I am no great shakes at spelling. I managed to make my way through spelling solely on the back of a near photographic memory. I have no memory of spelling rules ever being taught to me. I was an avid reader which probably helped my spelling, but I would not call myself a good speller at all.

3. Money isn't a huge object, but let's just say I don't want to spend most of my book budget on spelling.

4. I would prefer to keep the spelling lesson to under 30 minutes per day, four days a week.

5. I don't mind if the spelling program has a lot of reading, but I don't need it to teach reading or grammar. Writing amounts are not necessarily a problem--both boys have enough stamina to handle a fair amount. Although they will whine.

6. I would like the program to be teacher-intensive. I need to know why I am teaching as well as what.

Boys issues: The more natural speller needs rules.

The other boy just plain needs to learn how to spell one day and be able to remember how to spell the next day.

Both will spell phonetically if they don't know the word.

Both read decently, the non-speller better than the speller. Both are currently reading in the McGuffey 2nd Reader for instructional material and in lower level Abeka Readers for fluency work.

Somebody make sense of this please! I'm about the pull my hair out over spelling choices, and muddling along where we are is not doing anyone any favors.

The spelling is for the coming third grade year. I don't know what level they spell at, but I'd put it at first grade.

Edited by Critterfixer

I've seen good things about RS Spelling. I would want the TM for sure, and perhaps I should add another book for myself as the teacher? That way if there are any hang-ups I would be able to find another way to go over the concept.

If you can get the Spell to Write and Read manual from the library, it may help you understand WRTR enough to be able to use it. If you like SWR enough, you can consider using it with the WISE guide instead of WRTR.

Another good option is the Logic of English.

I bought the entire AAS kit, tiles and all, and have not used them once. Apparently, I'm just not the type to have all the extras. In retrospect, I could have just bought the teacher's manual. Everything you need for the program is in there. I do like having the cards filed nicely in the custom box (although I have had a couple of meltdowns myself when my twins unloaded the entire thing a couple of different times...). The card box is very handy for review of concepts and rules, etc. But since my sons are fluent writers, I just have them spell everything and skip the tiles. Too many small pieces for my two-year old's to destroy.

Anyway, you could get just the teacher's manual for AAS. It would work just fine. I like it that she doesn't split everything up into "lessons". The lessons are "skills", so you really can just work through them at whatever speed works for you and your student.

I really like AAS. It's not full of unnecessary paper work. It's just the skills, and really solid spelling work.

Anyway, just thought I'd throw that out there in case you were interested in hearing a different take on spelling tiles. :lol:

I've seen good things about RS Spelling. I would want the TM for sure, and perhaps I should add another book for myself as the teacher? That way if there are any hang-ups I would be able to find another way to go over the concept.

All the student pages are in the TM also. And the TM does recommend drilling the words each day and gives ideas for different ways to do that.

Logic of English is one to look at also. It looks easier to understand how to teach than WRTR.

have you looked at Sequential Spelling? It takes a different approach by teaching word families.

I'm personally drawn to Sequential Spelling because it makes all kinds of sense to me. I like word families. I like lists that have something in common and don't deal with too much at once. One thing I've liked about Wheeler's has been the lists that make sense to me.

On the other hand, I'm not sure that it has enough about spelling rules to be solid for those who could use a course in the rules.

Here's hoping I've not got to do two separate spelling programs for my boys, although it could come to that.

Logic of English is one to look at also. It looks easier to understand how to teach than WRTR.

Whatever I get has to be easier that WRTR. I am simply not smart enough to wrap my head around that book. Wish I was--since I've already got it. Maybe I'll have another go at it.

I'll go take a look at the Logic of English. I had looked at SWR but I wasn't convinced I was smart enough to use it either.....

Spelling Plus with Dictation and the Homophone books.

See notes with in quote.

I'm satisfied with everything I've lined up for the coming fall quarter, except spelling.

What we've used: Spelling Workout-really a complete bust. I likely used it too early but I couldn't find rhyme or reason to the lists and neither could my boys.

Currently-Wheeler's Elementary Speller. This has been better. At least the lists make more sense to me and I like to have the children mark the words. While it has been helpful for my more natural speller (my hFA son, go figure!) it really hasn't been translating to my older son's writing. And Wheeler doesn't seem to cover spelling rules.

What I do have: I've got The Writing Road to Reading. I'm probably just too dumb to use it. I have tried to tackle the thing a couple of times, but I get bogged down. I've also got The ABC's and All Their Tricks and love that book. But I'm not sure how to use it as a speller.

Issues: For me as the teacher.

1. I can't deal with a lot of materials or things that are cut up and have to moved around. No tiles!!!! I cannot compromise on this. If you want to see a class A Momma melt-down just hand me a box of letter tiles.

Three books for k-1st grade spelling. You dont even really need them all.

2. I am no great shakes at spelling. I managed to make my way through spelling solely on the back of a near photographic memory. I have no memory of spelling rules ever being taught to me. I was an avid reader which probably helped my spelling, but I would not call myself a good speller at all.

All words are grouped by spelling rule. I think the method of repitition she sets up is great for a weak speller, I dont have my natiral spellers do it all; but a struggler, I would. I do a word list one week. We study the words and rules presented, then we do dictation for that list the next week. Really, it can be done in 15 minutes a day. It will take longer next year because we are adding Homophone worksheets.

3. Money isn't a huge object, but let's just say I don't want to spend most of my book budget on spelling.

I spent well under $50 for all three books.

4. I would prefer to keep the spelling lesson to under 30 minutes per day, four days a week.

Definitely doable.

5. I don't mind if the spelling program has a lot of reading, but I don't need it to teach reading or grammar. Writing amounts are not necessarily a problem--both boys have enough stamina to handle a fair amount. Although they will whine.

No excessive reading or grammar. But the dictation book builds in difficulty with grammar concepts and spelling rules. It is great review for grammar , without seeming like grammar. I use it for handwriting practice as well.

6. I would like the program to be teacher-intensive. I need to know why I am teaching as well as what.

It is flexible here. As much time as you want to spend reviewing the lesson, it is up to you. We do a quick lesson most days, but there have been linger lessons on the whiteboard for more difficult rules.

Boys issues: The more natural speller needs rules.

The other boy just plain needs to learn how to spell one day and be able to remember how to spell the next day.

Both will spell phonetically if they don't know the word.

Both read decently, the non-speller better than the speller. Both are currently reading in the McGuffey 2nd Reader for instructional material and in lower level Abeka Readers for fluency work.

Somebody make sense of this please! I'm about the pull my hair out over spelling choices, and muddling along where we are is not doing anyone any favors.

The spelling is for the coming third grade year. I don't know what level they spell at, but I'd put it at first grade.

I hope this is helpful. We love this program. It is working great!

SWR, Spelling Power, Spelling Plus, Rod and Staff, Sequential Spelling, AAS sans tiles...

You guys are no help at all!:D

Seriously, thanks for taking the time to answer. I'll be looking carefully at all of these over the next few weeks to make a choice. One thing does seem clear and that is that all these programs have their good points and most of them look as if they can be reasonably adaptable to the student and the instructor, so I probably can't go far, far wrong.

Rod and Staff's Spelling by Sound and Structure fits every requirement but the teacher intensive. The TM does say what the current concept is, and offers a couple tips for teaching it.

:iagree: This is exactly what I would suggest. We left SWO and tried R&S. If a book is too easy, just grab the next one. It is very simple to use so we've been able to stick with it happily. There are also many samples (including the full word lists) on the website.

Spalding. All you need is the manual (WRTR), the phonogram cards, and the Spelling Assessment Manual. Your dc will have only a spellng notebook. There may be times when it takes longer than 30 minutes (e.g., drilling phonograms plus dictating and analyzing spelling words), but you don't have to do it all in one fell swoop.

I had looked at SWR but I wasn't convinced I was smart enough to use it either.....

SWR is completely open and go once you start the spelling lists in Wise Guide. The Wise Guide tells you exactly what you need to do from day to day. The hard part is getting started. Feel free to PM me if you want to do SWR. I can tell you exactly how to get started.

Likewise, I think that Ellie would be happy to walk you through Spalding. (I've heard somewhere that WRTR is the manual! :tongue_smilie:)

The hard part is getting started.

Isn't that the hardest part of everything?

What inevitably happens when I start to read WRTR is one of two things: either my eyes blur and I have a sudden urge to go do something like fix a button or scrub the bathtub OR I start trying to jump ahead to see when the part I need right now starts.

So you see, my main hand-up with WRTR is all self-made from a lack of discipline. Before I order any spelling I WILL buckle down and read that book from start to finish and TAKE NOTES. If I can get through Augustine surely I can get through a spelling book. Sheesh.:001_huh:

So you see, my main hand-up with WRTR is all self-made from a lack of discipline. Before I order any spelling I WILL buckle down and read that book from start to finish and TAKE NOTES. If I can get through Augustine surely I can get through a spelling book. Sheesh.:001_huh:

When I started SWR, I was lucky to have gotten in the summer when we were off school. I was excited about it but got quickly discouraged by the manual. But I just decided that for the next month, I was going to do this a little each day. Taking it a little at a time and just trusting that I would get there was very helpful. I haven't seen WRTR, but I understand it to be very similar. Hang in there. I think you will get it. And there are plenty of people willing to walk you through it.