Menu

pretteen boy angst may kill me...or him...

I can't handle it anymore. The eye rolling, the snideness, the "this is soooo dumb" attitude when I try to teach him are going to drive me to madness. Seriously.

We only have a few weeks left. We are doubling up on math (two different topics a day), and finishing up grammar and SOTW. He's also required to read each day. That is IT for the rest of the year. I've dropped Spanish and Logic until next year. This is NOT a lot of work. But still I get the eye rolls and such every time I bring out grammar. (we are switching grammar programs next year).

I'm sure this is normal. I'm sure it will pass. I just REALLY wish I wasn't pregnant so I could have a stiff drink in the meantime!

I have one like that. I found that humor helped us all through it. When he gave me an eye roll, I would tell him that it just wasn't his best work and to give me a better one. When he would get irritated over nothing, I would get all dramatic with him and tell him he "gives me great woe." This has been my not-so-subtle way of telling him that he is behaving badly while not escalating. Now it has become a joke between us. He gives me an eye roll and I rate it Olympic style. It usually cracks him up and defuses the situation. He is 15 and his attitude has improved tremendously.

Oh, and I delegated driving to his dad. After 40 hours of practice behind the wheel, I can now let him drive and casually watch the scenery instead of stomping on that imaginary break:).

It does get better.

I'm with ya. The last couple of weeks, the eyerolling has escalated to severe verbal rudeness, with today being an extreme. I put him on the phone with DH, who said something (I don't know what) that has him quaking.

Consequences such as refusing to be the chaffeur for fun events, loss of priveleges, etc., have not provided relief. He has a healthy diet and lots of vigorous exercise. He is absolutely pleasant and cooperative to the outside world, which makes it worse.

I have one like that. I found that humor helped us all through it. When he gave me an eye roll, I would tell him that it just wasn't his best work and to give me a better one. When he would get irritated over nothing, I would get all dramatic with him and tell him he "gives me great woe." This has been my not-so-subtle way of telling him that he is behaving badly while not escalating. Now it has become a joke between us. He gives me an eye roll and I rate it Olympic style. It usually cracks him up and defuses the situation. He is 15 and his attitude has improved tremendously.

Oh, and I delegated driving to his dad. After 40 hours of practice behind the wheel, I can now let him drive and casually watch the scenery instead of stomping on that imaginary break:).

It does get better.

To the bolded - that is AWESOME! I'm going to borrow it! :)

:iagree: I've started using humor with my 11 yr old. It works great.....so far. ;)

When he rolls his eyes, I also rate it as being a good one or not. Then I'll tell him to rate mine and roll mine. I tell him I can roll mine better, and then I do a super drastic eye roll. It makes him laugh and eases his frustration.....and mine.

If he complains about chores or amount of school work, I'll will go into a dramatic soliloquy about all the work I have to do....which of course is a lot longer list than his. That usually works to point out that his work load is not so bad.

I'm in a blessed lull between this stage, but I can hear the distant thunder rolling. Ds9 is starting to show those early signs. From 11 to 13 were truly the least fun parenting years that I have experienced up to this point. DD15 has thankfully moved past that stage, but it's just around the corner with DS9. My thoughts and prayers are with you!

I have heard that it gets better in the teens. But OMG. This is killin' me. My son is 11 and few months. It's been going on for a while now. I do think it would be 10x worse if he were in school. IDK- -I just here stories from a friend with a kid in school.

I've gotten to the point when he is just so full of it- I go up and hug him. He thinks hugs aren't "cool" anymore, but I can tell when I do this- it melts him just a bit. Well, enough to alleviate the straight jacket and muzzle for a few more hours.

I'm in a blessed lull between this stage, but I can hear the distant thunder rolling. Ds9 is starting to show those early signs. From 11 to 13 were truly the least fun parenting years that I have experienced up to this point. DD15 has thankfully moved past that stage, but it's just around the corner with DS9. My thoughts and prayers are with you!

We're at this point too. It's not terrible yet, but the eye rolling, sarcasm, and attitude are peeking through. I only have one child, so haven't been here yet... if his teen roller coaster attitude is anything like mine, I will have to start drinking. :D

It does get better.

Love this. I try to use humor to help my ds's attitude. Sometimes I start singing and dancing and I threaten not to stop until he adjusts his attitude. He has become a lot more aware of his attitude when his friends are around, since the last thing he wants is mom breaking out in song in front of his buddy.:D