Menu

Reading program for struggling 2nd/3rd grader?

Tasia

I got an e-mail today from my 2nd grader's teacher asking me to meet with her because she's concerned about his reading and wants to talk about how to improve it over the summer. I hadn't told her yet that he'll be homeschooled starting in the fall, so I responded telling her that, but that I'd love to meet with her and get her advice.

My son is 8, bright, mature for his age and a hard worker. He does really well in school, even in writing and spelling (although his handwriting isn't the best), but reading just hasn't really "clicked" for him yet. He can read a lot of the "Hello, Reader" books without too much trouble, but some of the Level 4s are still a challenge. He's slogged through the first Magic Tree House book and just started the first Marvin Redpost, but it's slow going. It takes him so long to sound out some of the words that he has to re-read the sentence to make it make sense. He says the same thing happens when he reads silently.

I've been looking over the last few weeks for a reading program that could help him get over this, but I haven't seen anything that looks perfect for him. I'd like to have some idea of what I plan on using next year (and over the summer if he's up for it) when I meet with his teacher next week, so I can get her opinion on it. She's a great teacher, so I'm sure she'll have good suggestions of her own.

So, do any of you have any suggestions for a reading program? He wouldn't enjoy anything too babyish or anything that has a big "Grade 1" or something stamped across the front. I'd also prefer something secular, but that's not a big deal.

Thanks for your help. :)

I'll share a few tips. Our youngest is a struggling reader. He is finishing 2nd grade, just turned 8, and not reading as well as your ds.

1. Have his eyes checked.

2. Have him read to you often. Short amounts, books he can successfully read, if he gets stuck give him the word and move on. If he's missing more than 3-5 words on a page the book is probably too hard. Use caution with sending him off to read silently (he'll have no one to help or correct him).

3. Try using a cursor. An index card with the corner notched out. Have him use that as a guide when he reads. You use it as you teach. We have one in every book around here.

4. Read to him often. As much as possible, good quality lit.

5. For comprehension have him re-tell back to you what you read to him.

6. Look for a Spalding or Ortho Gillingham based reading program. Most will not be grade 1, grade 2, etc. They're more likley to be start here and work at your own pace. We're using All About Spelling with the level 2 readers. I highly recommend it as a spelling program. Your ds may be above the level 2 readers tho. You can see samples on there site. A lot of kids are successful with Dancing Bears. I know there are many others. Hopefully, someone will come along with some other suggestions.

7. If you see red flags of a learning disability have it checked out. Reading may not have clicked yet, or there may be a problem. Be open to whatever it is. (Tho he doesn't sound horribly behind to me.)

8. Relax. Stress will not help him be a better reader.

Congrats on joining the hs world!

Guest Xapis10

I've become a big fan of thephonicspage.org

This has great information on teaching remedial students to improve reading (and/or spell) as well as teaching new students.

Here's a page that gives different recommendations for starting (though I would spend a little time exploring the site, to get a feel for the philosophy behind what works and what doesn't): http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Phonics/practical.html

If you have the money I would get the first three levels of All About Spelling. I am amazed at how this program helped my children break apart works while they are reading and really help them sound the words out. I would also read to him- a lot! My ds8 is listening to me read the Chronicles of Narnia right now and loves them! If you could read to him an hour a day I think that would help tremendously. You could also find audio books for him to listen to and get the book for him to follow along. Exposure to all of those new words should really help him. So just find some good books he is interested in and just read, read, read:)

I am using Abecedarian Level B with my son right now.

Here is a link to the assessment page.

http://www.abcdrp.com/samples/ABCDassessment.pdf

I agree with all the other advice.

My son started with phonemic awareness problems, that we worked on first. Now he just needs extra, slow, explicit phonics that is very simple. This is a good fit for him.

It says it is Orton-Gillingham -- but really, there is no kinesthetic element. One of the big things about O-G is that it is multisensory, so that at some children are seeing and hearing something; saying and writing something; moving letter tiles so that they are seeing, saying, and moving something..... etc. The second thing about O-G is that it will start with phonemic awareness, and then do explicit phonics. That is my summary, anyway.

I like AAS also, but it moved too fast for my son. If he learned the phonics patterns more quickly or if I was better at adapting programs, it would have been good. If he moved a little faster I would be using AAS for sure.

If you can identify what his big weakness is that will help target instruction. I would consider reading a book about reading.... in the 371s in my library. I like anything by Louisa Moats and Sally Shaywitz.

The order is something like: phonemic awareness -- how well can he blend words and segment words (plus other things). basic decoding -- does he know all the letter sounds and ch, sh, th, wh. fluency -- can he read fluently things written at a basic level. then more advance decoding -- all the things like oa, ea, ie, ough, ou, wr, kn, u-e, ue, igh. Then fluency with advanced code. Then multi-syllable words. The fluency with multi-syllable words.

If you have a sense that he is strong in some areas with one area of weakness, you can target that area.

Spalding. It's everything you need to improve your ds's reading and spelling skills, and it also addresses handwriting, basic capitalization and punctuation, and simple writing. In short, it could be everything you'd need for "language arts." Your only supplies are the manual, a set of phonogram cards, a spelling notebook, and the Spelling Assessment Manual (althugh you can use just the Morrison-McCall spelling lists, available here).

I'll share a few tips. Our youngest is a struggling reader. He is finishing 2nd grade, just turned 8, and not reading as well as your ds.

1. Have his eyes checked.

2. Have him read to you often. Short amounts, books he can successfully read, if he gets stuck give him the word and move on. If he's missing more than 3-5 words on a page the book is probably too hard. Use caution with sending him off to read silently (he'll have no one to help or correct him).

3. Try using a cursor. An index card with the corner notched out. Have him use that as a guide when he reads. You use it as you teach. We have one in every book around here.

4. Read to him often. As much as possible, good quality lit.

5. For comprehension have him re-tell back to you what you read to him.

6. Look for a Spalding or Ortho Gillingham based reading program. Most will not be grade 1, grade 2, etc. They're more likley to be start here and work at your own pace. We're using All About Spelling with the level 2 readers. I highly recommend it as a spelling program. Your ds may be above the level 2 readers tho. You can see samples on there site. A lot of kids are successful with Dancing Bears. I know there are many others. Hopefully, someone will come along with some other suggestions.

7. If you see red flags of a learning disability have it checked out. Reading may not have clicked yet, or there may be a problem. Be open to whatever it is. (Tho he doesn't sound horribly behind to me.)

I do seem a little panicked, don't I? :glare:

I know he's too far behind (maybe a year?), but his older brothers were much more natural readers, so I'm kind of new to actually having to teach reading. His eyes are perfect. He reads about 30 minutes per day to me or Dh (he prefers to read to me, Dh is pickier about pronounciation). Usually, it's books his teacher assigns or books of the same level that we have around. His comprehension is perfect, but he doesn't do well in "reading comprehension" in school, because he doesn't have time to finish reading the whole story.

Thanks for the index card suggestion, I'll try that one out tonight.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. :) I like the look of All About Spelling and was already thinking I'd use it in the fall, so that seems like it will work well. I'll have a look through the others, but keep them coming!

Lecka, thanks so much for the help and the book recommendations. :001_smile:

You have already gotten a lot of good suggestions. Just thought I would let you know what we are using here. My ds is 7 (will be 8 in Nov), and reading has not come easy to him. Here are a few thoughts, for what they are worth...which may not be much. :)

1. Don't stress. A lot of children-boys especially-do not read well until they are 10 or older. I see you have older children, so if you think back, you will probably remember a time when reading all of the sudden just "clicked" for them. He will get it!

2. We just finished up The Reading Lesson. I highly recommend it. While I plan to go on to more formal phonics instruction (haven't decided yet--maybe Phonics Pathways; maybe just using WRTR to make flash cards), TRL built his confidence immensely. He considers himself a "reader" now, which is huge! My guess is that your son would fly through at least the first half of TRL. Nothing wrong with that, right? :)

3. You may want to try Explode the Code (ETC). I cannot believe how much these books have helped my son, and he loves them! He flies through them and calls them, "Explode I Know," because he, "already knows it all," but I know he doesn't realize how much they have helped him with his reading!

4. You already know this one, but you cannot repeat it too many times: read to him! Lots!

5. Find books of varying levels on his favorite topic(s), and have them available to him at all times. My son LOVES dinosaurs. A few weeks back, my husband found him on the stairs reading a dinosaur book that I never would have thought he would be able to read yet. Needless to say, the topic spurred him on to make his way through that book. His sister's horse books would not have accomplished that! :)

Keep it up, Mama. Good for you for taking your sons education by the reigns! He will thank you for it someday!

I think I would look at two scenarios as both being possible and likely... with other things that could be going on instead.

a) His fundamental skills are all good. He is solid on the 1st grade level. As he has gotten into longer words, he does not know all the phonograms/advanced code very well... stuff like oa, ea, ie, ei, ou, ough, y, au, aw, oy, oi, kn, wr, a-e... all those things, maybe he needs more work there. Those are things kids are supposed to know by middle-to-end of 2nd grade (if not before). Then you would focus on teaching those things, and work on fluency. For fluency -- supposedly (aka I have read) the biggest gains come when a passage about 100 -500 words long is read about 4 times. The first time the child can just listen, and then read along with a parent or along with a cd. Then repeated readings. That supposedly is better for focused fluency practice than just reading from a book. Reading from a book is good too -- it is just that supposedly spending 10 minutes on reading the same passage over a few days is supposed to give good results.

b) He doesn't have good fundamentals in sounding out words or reading through words left to right. His phonemic awareness is still a problem. He does not break down words to spell them. He can't read "nonsense words." If this is the case -- I think it is good to go back to phonemic awareness, and to look at dyslexia materials. You don't have to have dyslexia to use dyslexia materials! They are just good materials.

After much flip-flopping, and many issues, I am finding the simplest and most effective program for my late-reading nine year old is Phonics Pathways.

Even though she knew the material at the beginning of the book, we started from page one. It is a program that trains the eyes to track, and is repetitive enough (without being boring!) to really cement the phonics in her mind.

She has already made tremendous progress, and we're only a quarter of the way through! I also bought Reading Pathways, and we are adding that in slowly - it reinforces tracking, phonemic awareness, etc. It breaks words down into their parts to help students progress in reading longer words.

I am hoping to get her through Phonic Pathways, and most of Reading Pathways, by the end of summer.

And it is not very costly. You can pick up used copies here or on Amazon at good prices!

Thanks Ellie, I didn't see your post before. I like the idea of Spalding, but it looks a little intense and time-consuming (going from the sample lessons in the Teacher's Guides). Does it really take two hours per day? Is there much preparation for the teacher?

Lecka, thanks again! I'm going to have him do the Abecedarian placement test that you posted, as I think it'll give me a better idea about where to start with him and what exactly the issue is.

iafrmgrl77 and momto2Cs, it's great to see what other people are using.:001_smile: Phonics Pathways and (especially) Reading Pathways look perfect! ETC looks really good too. He loves workbooks, so maybe I can get him to do a few ETC books over the summer?

After much flip-flopping, and many issues, I am finding the simplest and most effective program for my late-reading nine year old is Phonics Pathways.

Even though she knew the material at the beginning of the book, we started from page one. It is a program that trains the eyes to track, and is repetitive enough (without being boring!) to really cement the phonics in her mind.

She has already made tremendous progress, and we're only a quarter of the way through! I also bought Reading Pathways, and we are adding that in slowly - it reinforces tracking, phonemic awareness, etc. It breaks words down into their parts to help students progress in reading longer words.

I am hoping to get her through Phonic Pathways, and most of Reading Pathways, by the end of summer.

And it is not very costly. You can pick up used copies here or on Amazon at good prices!

I agree with PP and RP. When DD was 7 (almost 8), we spent about 3 months going through RP and doing some work in Webster's Speller. She made a huge jump in her reading.

It's always nice when someone suggests something and I find it sitting, unused, on my shelf. I will pull this out later and take a look at it. My younger ds could use a little help.

My son, turning 7 this month struggles as well. He has auditory processing issues, but the Orton-Gillingham is working for him. He is using Saxon phonics. Saxon has a "remedial" phonics program for older kids who are struggling. Even though his vision may be perfect or fine, he may still have some visual tracking problems. You can google it and find simple at home tests to see if that is a problem.

and to look at dyslexia materials. You don't have to have dyslexia to use dyslexia materials! They are just good materials.

This is so true. I feel that way about the videos on the Barton site too. Lots of great ideas to use with all kids, not just those dx'd with dyslexia.

Forgot to mention that my son's handwriting is not good either and it is attributed to poor core body strength and visual tracking. This came as a shock to me because he is crazy athletic, plays football, soccer, and basketball.

That's really interesting. My son is also super athletic and has great hand-eye coordination, so I'll take a look into visual tracking problems and see if he's having issues with this.

If your son does good on the Abecedarian placement test, I would look at this book preview on Amazon. This is a book for students who have good "1st and 2nd grade" phonics skills (aka already know all the ou, ea, ie, ough, igh, ch, th stuff) but need to work on multisyllable words (I think).

The end of this book, but on the preview, has some more tests.

http://www.amazon.com/Teaching-Phonics-Study-Intermediate-Grades/dp/0439163528/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1336527108&sr=8-2

It is a book I want to get when my son reaches this level, but I don't think it is an actual program.

Edited by Lecka

Master Reader really helped my struggling reader (ds8). It has 4 different levels and is designed to help kids over the "hump" into independent reading. It assumes the child knows the letter sounds and simple blends, but it really focuses on multi syllable words and difficult sounds/blends/vowel teams. Each level comes with a computer disc of games to help with whatever phonics concept is covered in that lesson. So, first he'll play the computer games for that lesson. The games help with dividing syllables, sorting sounds, etc. Then, he'll read the story card to himself. Next, he'll read the story card to you. The nonfiction stories seem to be geared towards boys with topics like: snakes, vampire bats, sports stars like Tiger Woods and Michael Jordan, etc. They are high interest stories I'm sure he'll enjoy.

-You'll definitely want some type of phonics workbook/spelling program to go along with it, but if your goal is to get him reading bigger words and more difficult stories, Master Reader may be just what you need!

http://www.hookedonphonics.com/master-reader-deluxe-edition -Check retailmenot for coupon codes if you want to buy it new. I think they currently have a 35% off coupon.

I had him do the Abecedarian placement test this morning (he was late for school - oops). He did well on the "letter sounds" section and okay on the "text" sections (a little slow, but only a couple mistakes/blanks). But, the "nonsense words" didn't go well at all, so it looks like we should start back farther than the Master Reader, but that looks like it would be perfect after Phonics and Reading Pathways!

I talked to him about and he says he wants to do workbooks over the summer, but not "school". So, I think Explode the Code would be perfect for the summer. He's a little tired of placement tests (he did a super-long math one on the weekend and ended up exactly where I thought he'd be :glare:), but I can't tell where to place him in ETC. Do I need to order the placement test or is there one online somewhere?

I also started my son in bm schools and then began homeschooling--my son was way behind where yours now seems to be when we started and is now doing much better. Yours probably will too.

There are a lot of reading programs available and it may be that some will fit better to your son than others. I know Spalding has helped some children, but my sense was that for mine it had too many rules to learn and that would be a problem. But yours may be the opposite where it would be perfect. For my son what ended up working was an Orton-Gillingham based program (and not just anyone, it was try number 2 when I found one that worked for him) called High Noon--their sound out chapter books and Reading Intervention program. The reason this helped him, I think, was it was very very methodical, and stressed reading practice rather than rule learning. At first he read each level of the chapter books and the Intervention exercises more than once to gain ease and fluency at that level. Then, and long before we were done with that program, he was able to progress to a small series called the Buddy Files (dog detective main character and a little easier than Magic Tree House, both in its words and slightly larger typeface) which I read the first of and then he read (aloud for fluency and assistance, the next ones. Then he "graduated" to being able to read the Magic Tree house books with a little assistance, but increasing fluency. He read almost the whole Magic Tree House series including many of the Fact Trackers, and some side trails were taken on areas that were of interest, then those got too easy. Then he moved to some more dog related books (such as: Everything for a Dog, Because of Winn-Dixie, Hank the Cowdog series). Now he is on Rick Riordan books.

The really key thing for him was getting into the reading in a very progressive step wise way from a review of basic letters and then onto readings that practiced CVC words, and so on. It needed to be done in very measured steps most of the time--and when it was not, that was mostly driven by my son who would suddenly decide he was ready for a greater challenge level and would jump himself ahead. (The Rick Riordan is an example--he decided he could jump to a 500+ page book and is loving it--had I imposed it on him I am sure he would have rebelled.)

And, frankly, a lot of time spent on reading was absolutely critical (1/2 hour on weekend days, 90 minutes to 2 hours on weekdays---this includes time doing freereading--but at least 1/2 hour daily is with my help). Many other parts of the hs program were put in secondary position to work on the reading, and hs is going year round primarily to keep the reading going.

We also have a program I got from HN for 9-21 year olds called Power Skills for Literacy (I think) which he has just gotten to the point of being able to use as a spelling of multisyllabic words program (his reading has already advanced beyond its reading scope by and large). I mention it because your son sounds like he is ahead of where my son was when he started and so it could be relevant to you.

H.N. has some online assessments and samples. It tends to be less expensive than Barton etc. also--though perhaps more expensive than some others PPs have mentioned..

Whatever program you use, I think the realization that it simply takes a good bit of time and effort will help both you and your son to understand and expect that, and not to expect a small amount of time to yield huge benefits. Children who start reading easily when young often end up reading a great deal for an upward spiral (a friend of my son's will read 8 hours per day if not directed to other activities)--and for readers where it comes harder, there needs to be an effort made to increase quantity (within reason), along with quality. Quantity of effort alone does not work, because it is just spinning wheels, but quality without the quantity also does not build up the reading "muscles"--IME.

Edited by Pen

I had him do the Abecedarian placement test this morning (he was late for school - oops). He did well on the "letter sounds" section and okay on the "text" sections (a little slow, but only a couple mistakes/blanks). But, the "nonsense words" didn't go well at all, so it looks like we should start back farther than the Master Reader, but that looks like it would be perfect after Phonics and Reading Pathways!

I talked to him about and he says he wants to do workbooks over the summer, but not "school". So, I think Explode the Code would be perfect for the summer. He's a little tired of placement tests (he did a super-long math one on the weekend and ended up exactly where I thought he'd be :glare:), but I can't tell where to place him in ETC. Do I need to order the placement test or is there one online somewhere?

An added note--my son has dyslexia problems. He still cannot do nonsense words well. But he is learning to read anyway by the means I mention in my prior post.

It's always nice when someone suggests something and I find it sitting, unused, on my shelf. I will pull this out later and take a look at it. My younger ds could use a little help.

:lol: Believe it or not, I did the exact same thing! I didn't even know I still had a copy, but was cleaning out a bookshelf, found it, and decided to give it a whirl!

Master Reader really helped my struggling reader (ds8). It has 4 different levels and is designed to help kids over the "hump" into independent reading. It assumes the child knows the letter sounds and simple blends, but it really focuses on multi syllable words and difficult sounds/blends/vowel teams. Each level comes with a computer disc of games to help with whatever phonics concept is covered in that lesson. So, first he'll play the computer games for that lesson. The games help with dividing syllables, sorting sounds, etc. Then, he'll read the story card to himself. Next, he'll read the story card to you. The nonfiction stories seem to be geared towards boys with topics like: snakes, vampire bats, sports stars like Tiger Woods and Michael Jordan, etc. They are high interest stories I'm sure he'll enjoy.

-You'll definitely want some type of phonics workbook/spelling program to go along with it, but if your goal is to get him reading bigger words and more difficult stories, Master Reader may be just what you need!

http://www.hookedonphonics.com/master-reader-deluxe-edition -Check retailmenot for coupon codes if you want to buy it new. I think they currently have a 35% off coupon.

:iagree: we used this with my daughter & i'm currently using it with my son. it's really excellent & is the perfect program to bridge new readers into more complex chapter books. i found our deluxe version used for $45 at vegsource i believe. also check amazon and homeschool classifieds (definitely look for the deluxe version though as it has the 4 levels).

oh. i forgot to mention something else that we like. if you have an iphone or ipad, etc. you can download the k12 timed reading app. especially if your son is in public school, this will help gauge his words per minute. my son reads a story and it gauges his fluency. it's just a helpful tool & lets me know my son is still reading a little behind the "expected norm". there are 2 versions, and one is free. my son has no idea what the results are, so it never deflates him in anyway.

Pen, thanks so much for your post! :) Looking through all the different programs I'm realizing that there's no "quick fix" and that some of my other plans for him for the fall are going to have to wait for a year or two. I don't think Spalding is for us, but the Orton-Gillingham programs seem like they'd be a better fit. I was looking at the SPIRE program, but High Noon seems a lot simpler and easier to use. The sound out chapter books look great, so I actually just went ahead and ordered the Sound Out US Sports to give them a try.

mytwomonkeys - I have a couple reading apps, but I'll give that one a try! Thanks. :001_smile:

So, I think I've got a couple options picked out and will wait until I talk to the teacher before making any real decision. Phonics and Reading Pathways if she thinks that's enough, or a more intense Orton-Gillingham program like High Noon. Of course, I still have lots of reading of my own to do.

Thanks again for all the help!

I really like the look of High Noon. I looked at samples of it when I first heard of it here.

You might want to read about phonemic awareness. The book Overcoming Dyslexia and the Lousia Moats books talk about it, and more books also... those are what are in my library. I am not a big "dyslexia" person, I am just not, but the materials for it are so good, and the book Overcoming Dyslexia has a lot of good information.

If he can do phonemic awareness -- great. If not -- you might want to do "something" phonemic awareness before or along with phonics.

I think all or most O-G and remedial reading programs start with phonemic awareness. I think High Noon does -- I remember thinking it did when I looked at samples.

There are phonics programs that assume kids do already have a certain level of phonemic awareness that they build on -- it is something to keep in mind.

Edited by Lecka

Hi!

There are a couple of threads on this board and the special needs one that might help with suggestions. In addition to what's already been recommended, I'd also suggest looking at Reading Rescue 1-2-3 for tips (my library had it) and Reading Pathways for building fluency. High Noon publishers also has some high interest readers for older readers that look really good.

You might also want to check out the right brained threads - these children often come to reading later but eventually do very well. At least now you can go at your own and your child's pace without pressure!

You can work through the things on my how to tutor page. It's what I use with my remedial students. The nonsense words are very helpful. You don't have to use the readings from Hebrews if you don't want to.

It is on my how to tutor page, but I'd make sure you start by giving the NRRF grade level test and the MWIA, they are linked on my testing page.

I have a son who struggled with reading. Finally took him to the eye doctor and found out that he has one eye nearsighted and one farsighted. Made it hard for him to read but now with glasses he's doing much better.

As far as a program....we use Discovering Intensive Phonics which is an Orton-Gillingham approach program. If you son likes the computer, I would recommend that. It's a great visual way to learn the phonics and is fun too. http://athome.readinghorizons.com/index.aspx I have both the print and the computer program. We use the print work together and then the child does the computer lesson as review.

Hope you can figure out how to help your child. Good luck!