Menu

Looking for a rigorous US History course

Preferably not an online course as we have trouble keeping to a super strict schedule.

This is for my rising 8th grader who has reading/comprehension skills slightly above average.

I'm looking for the same thing. The things I am considering:

The American Pageant

K12 American Odyssey (expensive)

I thought I had one other idea saved, but can't find it

You might want to check with the Catholic Schools Textbook Project to see when they expect One Nation Under God: The American Achievement to be ready. DD and I really liked their middle school U.S. history textbook From Sea to Shining Sea but it would be too easy for a bright 8th grader IMHO.

We liked A history of US by Joy Hakim. You can buy a syllabus and tests from other sources. It works for a kid who gets absorbed in the story.

We've used Hakim as a spine, added in lots of historical fiction, and included a significant writing component. There is a lot to choose from in the discussion/study guides.

The American Pageant

Thanks. American Odyssey is out of my league. The American Pageant almost is.

You might want to check with the Catholic Schools Textbook Project to see when they expect One Nation Under God: The American Achievement to be ready. DD and I really liked their middle school U.S. history textbook From Sea to Shining Sea but it would be too easy for a bright 8th grader IMHO.

Sadly it isn't ready yet. It seems as if they have been working on that forever.

We liked A history of US by Joy Hakim. You can buy a syllabus and tests from other sources. It works for a kid who gets absorbed in the story.

We've used Hakim as a spine, added in lots of historical fiction, and included a significant writing component. There is a lot to choose from in the discussion/study guides.

Again, those are a lot of money. I may end up having to bite the bullet. :confused:

Thanks. American Odyssey is out of my league. The American Pageant almost is.

I keep hoping a used copy of "American Odyssey" will turn up, since my ds has liked the other k12 books, but I'm not counting on it.

If you buy a used, older edition of "American Pageant," it is not very expensive.

You can find the American Pageant used really cheap on Amazon.

Tindall's US History texts are really cheap on Amazon as well.

You can use these with an APUSH syllabus, which abound online. There are online quizzes, videos etc.

Add in some Lit if you are inclined....or some Albert Marrin history books and call it a course.

Faithe

Okay, here's a question. This is what has always stopped me from moving ahead too far.

If I do something like an APUSH course during 8th grade, what would dd do in high school for credit?

Also, what is the youngest one is allowed to take an AP test? If she could (is it allowed?) take the test in May of next year would it count? I know a lot of schools don't look at 8th grade work.

ETA: Don't comment yet. Just keep reading.:tongue_smilie:

Edited by Parrothead

Okay, here's a question. This is what has always stopped me from moving ahead too far.

If I do something like an APUSH course during 8th grade, what would dd do in high school for credit?

Also, what is the youngest one is allowed to take an AP test? If she could (is it allowed?) take the test in May of next year would it count? I know a lot of schools don't look at 8th grade work.

Oh GEE!!! I am sorry, I didn't realize this was for 8th grade. For 8th grade, I really liked Prentice Hall American Nation textbook. it reads nicely, has many primary documents and even suggests literature for each unit. It is a thorough and easy to use spine...and the Lit they suggest is really good. I would save the AP for 11th grade.

Faithe

Oh GEE!!! I am sorry, I didn't realize this was for 8th grade. For 8th grade, I really liked Prentice Hall American Nation textbook. it reads nicely, has many primary documents and even suggests literature for each unit. It is a thorough and easy to use spine...and the Lit they suggest is really good. I would save the AP for 11th grade.

Faithe

Whew! That takes the pressure off. :D:lol:

I wouldn't do APUSH in 8th. I have two kids who did APUSH; I think they both got 4's, not sure. Neither are history buffs. They both had Hakim in 8th or so, then a high school level course in 9th or 10th, then APUSH in 11th. You could probably skip one of those, but I wouldn't skip two and just do APUSH.

We generally do half of Hakim in a year, supplemented with a ton of historical fiction, field trips, and other tie-ins. It lays an excellent foundation for later, more detailed study. This stuff benefits from being revisited, at a higher level of detail, several times. We got the Hakim books one at a time, second hand, but they are also at my local library. We also ended up getting the audio versions, which are *excellent*.

You can in theory do AP in 8th, but I haven't heard of a lot of successful attempts at AP that early, even with very bright kids. The volume of material is huge, and the level of skill needed (for example, for the DBQ writing questions) is quite high.

I wouldn't do APUSH in 8th. I have two kids who did APUSH; I think they both got 4's, not sure. Neither are history buffs. They both had Hakim in 8th or so, then a high school level course in 9th or 10th, then APUSH in 11th. You could probably skip one of those, but I wouldn't skip two and just do APUSH.

We generally do half of Hakim in a year, supplemented with a ton of historical fiction, field trips, and other tie-ins. It lays an excellent foundation for later, more detailed study. This stuff benefits from being revisited, at a higher level of detail, several times. We got the Hakim books one at a time, second hand, but they are also at my local library. We also ended up getting the audio versions, which are *excellent*.

You can in theory do AP in 8th, but I haven't heard of a lot of successful attempts at AP that early, even with very bright kids. The volume of material is huge, and the level of skill needed (for example, for the DBQ writing questions) is quite high.

Honestly I wouldn't even want her to try. But I thought if she is going to do APUSH then she ought to take the test instead of forgetting everything while waiting for 9th grade. ;)

Now that MommyFaith has rescinded her recommendation we can all just go back to what is acceptable for a bright 8th grader. :D

It's fairly common these days for 9th grade honors students to do certain AP courses, but the ones I've heard of being taken freshman year are Human Geography and Environmental Science. U.S. History is typically done in 11th.

I'll keep that in mind.

Psst... What is Human Geography?

The American Pageant

The American Odyssey may be expensive, but as far as I was concerned, it was worth every penny. Simply the most readable US history text I've encountered (and I have about 10 on my shelves). I read every word aloud--which is a true test of readability.

I bought the Hakim books used for a reasonable price. My library also has them all. Watch Amazon, they had the new sets on sale for a few weeks. I plan to use Hakim for middle school and then use more original documents for study in high school.

The American Odyssey may be expensive, but as far as I was concerned, it was worth every penny. Simply the most readable US history text I've encountered (and I have about 10 on my shelves). I read every word aloud--which is a true test of readability.

Wow, I think this is bumping to the top of my list, if we can work it into the budget.

I don't think my 8th grader is ready for APUSH either. He's actually never done a year of American History, he just reads a lot of history. I'm thinking that if he does a serious year of American History in 8th, then he'll be ready to do APUSH in the future.

Faithe

Thank you for posting this. I have this text and I've been trying to figure out what level it's appropriate for. I knew that an earlier edition had been used in the "general" sections for US History in my high school, but it seemed to be geared for a slightly lower level than that. Last time I googled I couldn't find anything to indicate the level it was designed for, but I had more success this time.

I also discovered that the text I used for APUSH (The Unfinished Nation) is still listed as a commonly used AP text. If anyone comes across this thread in a search for AP materials, I'll say that this particular text was good, but I had the best teacher of my high school career for that course. I wouldn't try to do this course with only this particular text.

what grade is American Odyssey for?? Thanks :)

11th. I used it with a young 9th grader.

Oh sounds perfect for what I'm looking for. How is the format if I can ask? Is it like a PS textbook or is the layout different? I'd really like something for dd that gets into the stories and not be all "just the facts", kwim? History is so fascinating when it's taught well, but when it's not it can be so boring. I want something that she will find exciting to read and want to learn about.

I also discovered that the text I used for APUSH (The Unfinished Nation) is still listed as a commonly used AP text. If anyone comes across this thread in a search for AP materials, I'll say that this particular text was good, but I had the best teacher of my high school career for that course. I wouldn't try to do this course with only this particular text.

Thank you for mentioning that book! I am very picky about what to use for American History and this one looks good from what I can tell. I'll have to buy it to have a closer look.

You can find some used k12 American Odyssey books on Amazon here. The ISBN matches but the publisher is incorrect. I bought one under this listing and it was the correct book.

Thank you very much!! I would not have realized that this is the right book. That is so much cheaper than buying it new.

Oh sounds perfect for what I'm looking for. How is the format if I can ask? Is it like a PS textbook or is the layout different? I'd really like something for dd that gets into the stories and not be all "just the facts", kwim? History is so fascinating when it's taught well, but when it's not it can be so boring. I want something that she will find exciting to read and want to learn about.

It is more engaging than a standard ps textbook, IMO. It is more coherent and they've really tried to focus on the important threads rather than naming every act of Congress (or whatever). It also doesn't have the TV quality of ps textbooks. There are boxes, but not all over the place. It also doesn't have comprehension questions at the end of each chapter, though there are "key" questions at the beginning of each chapter.

I'm not sure if I would characterize it as exciting to read. But I didn't find it boring either.

It is more engaging than a standard ps textbook, IMO. It is more coherent and they've really tried to focus on the important threads rather than naming every act of Congress (or whatever). It also doesn't have the TV quality of ps textbooks. There are boxes, but not all over the place. It also doesn't have comprehension questions at the end of each chapter, though there are "key" questions at the beginning of each chapter.

I'm not sure if I would characterize it as exciting to read. But I didn't find it boring either.

Thank you for your reply. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Again, those are a lot of money. I may end up having to bite the bullet. :confused:

I've picked up the entire Hakim set used. I pieced it together. I got a couple older edition volumes online during Better World's sale, I paid $2 for them. The rest I found at library sales and thrift stores. No guarantees, but it doesn't hurt to try.