Menu

Vegetarians, what do you do when you don't have time to cook?

Yesterday was our first time up against the clock. Not to mention lack of sleep. We ended up being drawn in by the lure of fast food at had McD's last night. I know. Not healthy or good.

What do you do when you're too tired or pressed for time or any other random reason for not cooking? Yesterday even throwing together a salad was just too much work.

We are not complete vegetarians. But these are some of our too tired to cook strategies

1) Big Salad

2) Breakfast for dinner - Eggs and Frozen Hash Browns - fake eggs if you don't eat real one.

3) Cheese Pizza - we have a place that has $5 drive through pizzas. Quick/Easy. You can throw veggies on the pizza or add a salad.

I'm not a vegetarian, but my go-to meal is Mexican - beans, cheese, salsa, sour cream in a tortilla. Everything is from a can or jar! Easy peasy and healthy!

I guess I'm going to have to stock up on things like this.

We are not complete vegetarians. But these are some of our too tired to cook strategies

1) Big Salad

2) Breakfast for dinner - Eggs and Frozen Hash Browns - fake eggs if you don't eat real one.

3) Cheese Pizza - we have a place that has $5 drive through pizzas. Quick/Easy. You can throw veggies on the pizza or add a salad.

I'm still working on developing strategies for dealing with nights like last night. Salad was beyond my abilities. Eggs would have been too much work. Not to mention the washing up.

I'll have to get a store of paper plates. Along with things that will make going to the drive through too much work.

We're not strict vegetarians/vegans, either. And I think it depends on your family and what seems easy for you. DH loves crackers or sandwiches, and he'll help himself. The kids are young enough not to have much expectation that I'll cook a full meal all the time. They're happy with pbjs, and my oldest thinks it's fun to make one for everyone.

On busy nights, we often eat crackers and spreads - nut butters, homemade guacamole (very simple version - sometimes just avocado & lime), store-bought salsa. If I have a little more time, I throw together a bruschetta. We also snack on nuts, raisins, and spinach (the kids roll up the leaves and dip it with their hands into creamy dressing). It works for busy nights.

I get take-out from a restaurant that serves vegetarian food. :D Or, something simple like a nutbutter and jelly sandwich or grilled cheese with some raw veggies.

I think the only place we have available is the Chinese restaurant. They have one (icky looking) veggie dish. The trials of living in a small town in the middle of nowhere.

Yesterday was our first time up against the clock. Not to mention lack of sleep. We ended up being drawn in by the lure of fast food at had McD's last night. I know. Not healthy or good.

What do you do when you're too tired or pressed for time or any other random reason for not cooking? Yesterday even throwing together a salad was just too much work.

Why would it be different for vegetarians? I'm trying to understand. Did you have some "quick meals" as meat eaters that will no longer work as vegetarians, or is it that you would have done fast food?

If it's the latter, then there definitely are vegetarian fast food options. A Subway veggie and cheese sub or a slice of veggie pizza at a by-the-slice pizza place would be my choice. Or something from the grocery store deli (ours has a wide range of salads and ethnic foods).

At home, super quick vegetarian meals:

fried egg sandwich

popcorn and fruit smoothies

cheese plate with crackers and fruit

grilled cheese sandwiches

pasta with bottled sauce

ramen noodles with frozen veggies added

Why would it be different for vegetarians? I'm trying to understand. Did you have some "quick meals" as meat eaters that will no longer work as vegetarians, or is it that you would have done fast food?

If it's the latter, then there definitely are vegetarian fast food options. A Subway veggie and cheese sub or a slice of veggie pizza at a by-the-slice pizza place would be my choice. Or something from the grocery store deli (ours has a wide range of salads and ethnic foods).

At home, super quick vegetarian meals:

fried egg sandwich

popcorn and fruit smoothies

cheese plate with crackers and fruit

grilled cheese sandwiches

pasta with bottled sauce

ramen noodles with frozen veggies added

Everything on my very new (we turned to the lifestyle 3 weeks ago) vegetarian toolbox is time and work intensive.

No, I have very few quick meals even as meat eaters. That is what fast food is for. :tongue_smilie::D

We are still trying to retrain ourselves as to what constitutes a meal. Dh would not have been pleased if I offered popcorn and fruit smoothies. The same with a cheese plate and fruit. Those things are still snacks in his mind.

I keep very few processed foods in the house. Most everything I make is from scratch.

Edited by Parrothead

We're not strict vegetarians/vegans, either. And I think it depends on your family and what seems easy for you. DH loves crackers or sandwiches, and he'll help himself. The kids are young enough not to have much expectation that I'll cook a full meal all the time. They're happy with pbjs, and my oldest thinks it's fun to make one for everyone.

On busy nights, we often eat crackers and spreads - nut butters, homemade guacamole (very simple version - sometimes just avocado & lime), store-bought salsa. If I have a little more time, I throw together a bruschetta. We also snack on nuts, raisins, and spinach (the kids roll up the leaves and dip it with their hands into creamy dressing). It works for busy nights.

Next project: Helping dh realize that one can make a meal out of snacks.

I keep very few processed foods in the house. Most everything I make is from scratch.

Ah, I see. Yes, that makes it hard to have quick meals, whether you eat meat or not. I cook almost entirely from scratch, but I do keep a few processed foods around for emergency situations. We always have some veggie burgers in the freezer and some bottled pasta sauce.

If you prep your salad greens ahead of time, a salad really is very quick to make.

Good luck!

Ah, I see. Yes, that makes it hard to have quick meals, whether you eat meat or not. I cook almost entirely from scratch, but I do keep a few processed foods around for emergency situations. We always have some veggie burgers in the freezer and some bottled pasta sauce.

If you prep your salad greens ahead of time, a salad really is very quick to make.

Good luck!

This is what I do too. The other option is to make up your own veggie burgers on a day you DO feel like cooking and then whip them out on a night like you described.

Good luck!

We actually had this discussion last night while deciding what to do. The closest grocery store (mom and pop) doesn't carry veggie burgers. So dh would have had to go to the other side of town. But once I mentioned burgers all bets were off. Nothing would do but to have one type of burger or another. :D

I see now that I'm going to have to stock up on some things. Processed foods have to be just a bit more nutritionally sound than fast foods.

It is a process to learn the ins and outs of a new life style without falling back on old habits.

ETA: Salad Greens - I buy the Olivia's Organic Spring Mix. It is nothing to grab a handful and toss them in a bowl. The rest of the salad is a bit of work - peeling and chopping fruit and veggies like carrots and apples.

Edited by Parrothead

This is what I do too. The other option is to make up your own veggie burgers on a day you DO feel like cooking and then whip them out on a night like you described.

Good idea! That reminds me I used to make things like samosas and spanikopita to freeze, but I haven't done that in a long time.

It is so crazy at my house with our jobs and activities, being vegan is a challenge sometimes. We tend to gravitate toward quick meals we don't have to cook or that can be thrown together quickly.

Almond butter or peanut butter and jelly on sprouted grain bread (Ezekial Bread is fantastic)

Fried tofu and toast. Freeze extra firm tofu when you buy it, then thaw it the next day in the fridge. It has a better texture. Slice it lengthwise and put it in a pan in olive oil. Cover the tofu with salt, pepper and nutritional yeast (we like Braggs) and flip it a couple of times. Tastes like fried chicken. We had it last night with corn.

Saute a chopped yellow onion until translucent. Add chopped whatever you have: carrots, bell peppers, etc, and add minced garlic and crumbled tempeh. cook for a minute until everything is hot and add a sauce like duck sauce or sweet and sour, whatever floats your boat. Serve over brown rice. We had that the day before yesterday. I work all the time so most of our meals are fast. :D

The grill is your friend. Any veggie cooked on a grill and brushed with olive oil and salted is fantastic. I throw whatever looks good at Kroger on my sprint home on the grill and make a soy sauce mixture to dip it in on our plates. The soy sauce can be mixed with toasted sesame oil, garlic and a little orange juice or cranberry sauce to make it yummy. Speaking of that sauce... if you make a mixture like that and add a lot of canned cranberry sauce (the good kind, no corn syrup) you can baste sliced tofu with it on the grill and it is super duper fabulous.

I'm at the office and supposed to be doing my bookkeeping before the phone starts ringing so I'm back to work. I will write more...

I think this is something I'll have to work on this summer then again during Christmas break. Stuff like that will keep roughly six months, won't it?

Being Vegetarian is hard, but its not all about eating veggies 24/7 either. ;)

You can make spaghetti, tacos (Boca Crumbles or with Lentils), Soup (tomato, veggie, potato in those ready made cans or bags), Hobo Casserole (Ramen/veggies/boca crumbles), crockpot meals (omit any meat and yum!), breakfast, Boca/Morning star chicken patties or burgers, Black Bean burgers, Hotdogs, grilled cheese, tofu...

As for Fast food:

Burgerking and Subway offer a veggie patty but you have to ask for it. Subway also has veggie subs. Skyline and Goldstar you can get veggie chili, beans, and rice. Taco Bell you can get beans or rice. Panera Bread you can get soup.... its the little places like McDs and Wendys I havent figured out yet, but I usually get a salad.

I'm not a vegetarian, but my go-to meal is Mexican - beans, cheese, salsa, sour cream in a tortilla. Everything is from a can or jar! Easy peasy and healthy!

We do similar things. On busy nights, my husband likes what we call a quesadilla but is more like a flat burrito. I take two tortillas, lay one flat on a plate, add refried beans (from a can when I'm in a hurry) and chopped onion and bell peppers when I have them and cheddar. I put the other tortilla on top and stick the whole thing in the microwave for a couple of minutes. He tops it with salsa and sour cream (when I have it in the 'fridge).

I try to keep a few things on hand, either in cans/jars of frozen ahead of time that can be quickly assembled and warmed. On a busy night, with a jar of sauce from the pantry and a loaf of bread from the freezer, I can boil some pasta and have dinner on the table in 12 minutes with minimal effort.

In a real pinch, we will just pull out a loaf of bread and slice fruits and veggies and call it dinner.

Being Vegetarian is hard, but its not all about eating veggies 24/7 either. ;)

You can make spaghetti, tacos (Boca Crumbles or with Lentils), Soup (tomato, veggie, potato in those ready made cans or bags), Hobo Casserole (Ramen/veggies/boca crumbles), crockpot meals (omit any meat and yum!), breakfast, Boca/Morning star chicken patties or burgers, Black Bean burgers, Hotdogs, grilled cheese, tofu...

As for Fast food:

Burgerking and Subway offer a veggie patty but you have to ask for it. Subway also has veggie subs. Skyline and Goldstar you can get veggie chili, beans, and rice. Taco Bell you can get beans or rice. Panera Bread you can get soup.... its the little places like McDs and Wendys I havent figured out yet, but I usually get a salad.

Ah! I did not know that about BK. Of the places on your list we have a BK and a McDs. Poor dh hasn't gotten to the place where salad on a bun is an acceptable meal. :tongue_smilie: He will go to Subway and order a tuna melt and think he is good. Maybe by next year. Last year he was adamant about not going veggie. I haven't told him never say never. :lol:

I don't know what the selection is like at your grocery store, but I keep some Amy's meals in the freezer. They have a whole line of vegetarian meals, and it HAS to be better food than McDonald's ;)!

It's very difficult to eat out when you are a vegetarian, particularly last minute. Traveling and staying in a hotel can be quite a challenge. I never noticed how much MEAT there is in restaurants before I went vegetarian. I have had to learn to plan ahead a little bit more than before.

I don't know what the selection is like at your grocery store, but I keep some Amy's meals in the freezer. They have a whole line of vegetarian meals, and it HAS to be better food than McDonald's ;)!

It's very difficult to eat out when you are a vegetarian, particularly last minute. Traveling and staying in a hotel can be quite a challenge. I never noticed how much MEAT there is in restaurants before I went vegetarian. I have had to learn to plan ahead a little bit more than before.

I'll look for Amy's.

We will be traveling in June and I'm concerned about all of the eating out. We will be in a bigger area so I'm hoping for possibilities.

Amys is good!

too bad you dont have a Trader Joes, Farmers Market, or Jungle Jims. Those are like heaven ;)

Being Vegetarian is hard . . .

Why?

Honestly, I've been vegetarian for -- oh my goodness, I just did the math -- about 30 years, vegan for 15. When I still ate dairy, being veg was no trouble at all. We did go through a phase when I went vegan that caused my husband (who did not make that transition with me) some irritation. But we adjusted quickly.

I really can't imagine why people think this is so tough.

We have several microwaveable vegetarian options in the freezer at all times - buffalo chicken pieces (no chicken of course), veggie burgers, hot dogs, and a few other things as well. Most of them are the MorningSide brand but both of the main groceries stores here carry a pretty good variety in the frozen section. I also keep vegetarian chilis and soups in the pantry. My kids also have a lot of quick options like mac & cheese, ramen noodles, oatmeal, cold cereal, a protein bar or smoothie, peanut butter and honey toast, baked beans, cheese and crackers, ready made salads, nuts, popcorn and lots of bread (rolls, buns, toast, warm sliced - just about any way really).

It's challenging to eat out last minute, and it's tough to travel if you don't have a kitchen to cook in. It's not so tough to be a vegetarian (IMHO) if you are cooking at home.

Actually, I think it's easier not dealing with defrosting meat and all the gross meat juice :lol:.

Why?

Honestly, I've been vegetarian for -- oh my goodness, I just did the math -- about 30 years, vegan for 15. When I still ate dairy, being veg was no trouble at all. We did go through a phase when I went vegan that caused my husband (who did not make that transition with me) some irritation. But we adjusted quickly.

After being an omnivore for over 40 years changing is difficult. Everything I know how to cook revolves around the meat. When we ate meat the day started with "What is for dinner. I have to take meat out." Now it is "What is for dinner?" and a slight panic sets in because I don't know how/not comfortable with veggie meal planning. That is hard.

Maybe when I'm 70+ I'll think that it isn't hard. Right now it is a difficult row to hoe because I'm so new at it.

Maybe when I'm 70+ I'll think that it isn't hard. Right now it is a difficult row to hoe because I'm so new at it.

I agree, there is definitely an adjustment period. It's a whole new way of thinking.

After being an omnivore for over 40 years changing is difficult. Everything I know how to cook revolves around the meat. When we ate meat the day started with "What is for dinner. I have to take meat out." Now it is "What is for dinner?" and a slight panic sets in because I don't know how/not comfortable with veggie meal planning. That is hard.

Please don't misunderstand: I totally get that making the initial transition can be a challenge. I went veg when I was a teen, and I actually remember the last beef burger I ate, because it was after I was trying to give up meat, and I felt guilty and awful about it. I also vividly remember the last time I ate sweet and sour chicken, because I had been thinking of myself as vegetarian for a few months already. (I went to lunch with a new boss and felt too embarassed or weird to make a big deal about asking for vegetarian options.)

It was the blanket statement that "being" a vegetarian is hard that threw me for a loop.

In my experience, anyway, it does get much, much easier.

As for Fast food:

My sister and her children are vegetarian (not very strict, though) and they get a grilled cheese sandwich at McD's (the fries are flavored with beef, in case you didn't know). Taco Bell also has a 7 layer burrito that is vegetarian, vegan if you omit the cheese and sour cream.

Thinking back to when I was a vegetarian and not vegan, my fast meals included sloppy joes ("beef" crumbles and a can of Manwhich - sp?) on bread/roll, noodles with butter or olive oil and garlic and shredded cheese (and with steamed broccoli if I wasn't starving), cheese, lettuce, tomato sandwiches, mac-n-cheese, and pasta and red sauce. Another fast meal is "B"LTs.

You could also start freezing leftovers so you have something you just have to reheat. :)

Why?

I have been eating meat for 24yrs, it was hard and IS hard for me to be veg. I cant just wake up or go some place and not have a bit of panic mode like Parrothead said. There are many who feel that way.

:iagree:

My sister and her children are vegetarian (not very strict, though) and they get a grilled cheese sandwich at McD's (the fries are flavored with beef, in case you didn't know). Taco Bell also has a 7 layer burrito that is vegetarian, vegan if you omit the cheese and sour cream.

Thinking back to when I was a vegetarian and not vegan, my fast meals included sloppy joes ("beef" crumbles and a can of Manwhich - sp?) on bread/roll, noodles with butter or olive oil and garlic and shredded cheese (and with steamed broccoli if I wasn't starving), cheese, lettuce, tomato sandwiches, mac-n-cheese, and pasta and red sauce. Another fast meal is "B"LTs.

You could also start freezing leftovers so you have something you just have to reheat. :)

I didnt know about the grilled cheese or the fries. I dont like their fries anyway really. Too much salt! I have never had the 7 layer burrito.

We are not vegetarians but all of our "last minute emergency/too tired to really cook" meals are.

Scrambled eggs with toast and whatever fruit is around. Nothing that I have found cooks faster than an egg.

Blackbean and spinach quesadilla. Your basic quesadilla with cheddar cheese but with canned black beans and spinach in addition to the cheese to give it more nutritional umpf. Serve with salsa and avocados if there are any around (we usually have avocado in the freezer.) These are so darn good and super fast.

Boil pasta and toss with whatever Italian dressing and veggies you have laying around. Sprinkle with cheese. Done.

You need canned beans, canned tomatoes, cheese, and tortillas or chips always on hand.

The easiest meal I "cook" is to open a can of black beans and rinse and toss in a pot or microwavable bowl with a can of stewed tomatoes. Add grated cheese when it is hot and serve with tortillas or chips. You can even get fancy and toss in some baby spinach - which I always have.

The quick cook 10 minute brown rice is also a life-saver to stretch a can of something into a dinner. -

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

I've spoken to my friend who leans toward paleo//Atkins and told her I'd give her the vast majority of the meat in my freezer. That way I can organize and make room for the "new" stuff.

I'll probably start this weekend making a couple big pots of different rices and a variety of beans to have on hand.

I just got back from the doc and my BP was slightly elevated. Could be because I am in pain. She compared it to last time I was there and it was elevated then too. But as I pointed out at that time I was covered in hives. (Do y'all remember the trouble last June?) So I want to limit the amount of white salt which is in a lot of canned foods. I have to go back in a month and have it checked. I'd like to be back down to 160 and a normal BP.

I do wonder how much the quarter pounder contributed to the rise in BP.

Hummus and pita bread

PB&J sandwiches

Cheese and crackers with some fruit too

Baba Ganoush and pita bread

A bag of salad mix with a hard boiled egg

You can make the hummus and baba ganoush and just keep them in the fridge for such emergencies and you can keep hard boiled eggs for this too.

I guess I'm going to have to stock up on things like this.

I'm still working on developing strategies for dealing with nights like last night. Salad was beyond my abilities. Eggs would have been too much work. Not to mention the washing up.

I'll have to get a store of paper plates. Along with things that will make going to the drive through too much work.

Slow cookers are life savers for times like this. I just throw it in in hte morning and at dinner time it's ready.

Slow cookers are life savers for times like this. I just throw it in in hte morning and at dinner time it's ready.

The question is: What are you throwing in there? I used to use my slow cooker for roasts and meatloaf and stew. I can still do a nice veggie stew but on days like yesterday when I was functioning on 5 hours sleep and trying to get dd to dance recital at 5:30 the brain doesn't engage enough to think "I ought to put something in the crock pot this morning." :D

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

I've spoken to my friend who leans toward paleo//Atkins and told her I'd give her the vast majority of the meat in my freezer. That way I can organize and make room for the "new" stuff.

I'll probably start this weekend making a couple big pots of different rices and a variety of beans to have on hand.

I just got back from the doc and my BP was slightly elevated. Could be because I am in pain. She compared it to last time I was there and it was elevated then too. But as I pointed out at that time I was covered in hives. (Do y'all remember the trouble last June?) So I want to limit the amount of white salt which is in a lot of canned foods. I have to go back in a month and have it checked. I'd like to be back down to 160 and a normal BP.

I do wonder how much the quarter pounder contributed to the rise in BP.

the 1/4 pounder could have had a lot to do with it. Did you have fries to? Don't eat fries. McD fries are not vegetarian or gf. they are much more than just potatoes and salt.

These are a salt-free black bean that might work for you for a convenience food. It won't be as good as making your own from dried beans. I use salt very sparingly around here - both of my parents had triple bypass surgery last year. I think I have a pretty good set of genetic factors working against me and don't plan to follow my parents.

Edited by Karen in CO

the 1/4 pounder could have had a lot to do with it. Did you have fries to? Don't eat fries. McD fries are not vegetarian or gf. they are much more than just potatoes and salt.

These are the black beans I use. I use salt very sparingly around here - both of my parents had triple bypass surgery last year. I think I have a pretty good set of genetic factors working against me and don't plan to follow my parents.

*Sheepishly nodding feeling the shame* Yes, I had the fries too. :blush::blushing:

I'm going to have to compare canned against from dried and factor in my time.

The question is: What are you throwing in there? I used to use my slow cooker for roasts and meatloaf and stew. I can still do a nice veggie stew but on days like yesterday when I was functioning on 5 hours sleep and trying to get dd to dance recital at 5:30 the brain doesn't engage enough to think "I ought to put something in the crock pot this morning." :D

A bean stew or a veggie stew.

With white or garbanzo beans I like to had carrots, celery, potatoes, and some garlic.

With red beans I like to add carrots, canned tomatoes, and some garlic. (You can use any red bean or lentil except for red kidney beans)

I like to make a vegetable barley soup and this is very hearty and filling.

Anything that is soup or stew like is good in a slow cooker.

Burger King has Boca Burgers, so that is helpful if you are really gonna crack.

Otherwise it's pancakes or Tofurkey sandwiches, or stuff like that.

I like the potstickers from Trader Joe's, and those are super fast as well.

Spaghetti and red sauce, in a pinch, as well.

I third, fourth or fifth the Mexican buffet suggestions.

Black bean soup

Channa masala or lentil curry

"Sloppy lentils" (Like sloppy joes, but with lentils in place of the meat.)

Pasta sauce

Lentil soup

Vegetable soup

Baked beans

Chili

Those are the ones I do in the slow cooker most often.

Black bean soup can be done in 10 minutes. Or tortilla soup. Here's one I do when I have no time at all:

Put in a pot:

- 3 cans black beans, rinsed

- one can of diced tomatoes or 1 jar of mild salsa

- 1 can of corn

- veg. broth from a carton

Heat it up. When you ladle out the soup, put little pieces of whole wheat tortilla and cut up avocado in the bottom of the bowl.

Literally a 10-minute vegan dinner. And healthy, as long as you get low-sodium versions of the canned foods.

Ok, so it can't be anything like a "snack."

Sometimes I do whole-grain couscous (preferably in low-sodium vegetable broth) with butter, black beans, and tarragon. I use canned beans, but you could cook your own ahead of time, freeze them, and thaw while the couscous is cooking.

We used to hate lentil soup until we found this recipe. Everyone in our family loves it - probably because of the squeezed lemon added at the end. The only real preparation is slicing a carrot. Everything else is just thrown in. (The cooking time is 45 mins, but the prep is very easy.)

Does your husband not like crackers and chips at all? If he likes crackers, you can make your own to keep on hand. Or, Wasa brand crackers only have three ingredients, and they're not salty at all. (We buy the whole-grain rye ones.) That's what we use in place of chips.

When we are feeling massively lazy lol, that's when we end up with the Morning Star vegetarian mini corndogs and tomato soup. In fact I think I'll do that tonight. It gets so exhausting trying to think of what to eat every night. The only fast food we ever have is papa murphy's pizza, so we run out of variety real quick

Ok, so it can't be anything like a "snack."

Sometimes I do whole-grain couscous (preferably in low-sodium vegetable broth) with butter, black beans, and tarragon. I use canned beans, but you could cook your own ahead of time, freeze them, and thaw while the couscous is cooking.

We used to hate lentil soup until we found this recipe. Everyone in our family loves it - probably because of the squeezed lemon added at the end. The only real preparation is slicing a carrot. Everything else is just thrown in. (The cooking time is 45 mins, but the prep is very easy.)

Does your husband not like crackers and chips at all? If he likes crackers, you can make your own to keep on hand. Or, Wasa brand crackers only have three ingredients, and they're not salty at all. (We buy the whole-grain rye ones.) That's what we use in place of chips.

Oh, no. We all like chips. And crackers. And cookies. :D But change must come slowly. If I handed him a plate of crackers and cheese with an apple and told him it was dinner he'd have a duck. I know and you know there isn't' much difference between those crackers and cheese and a grilled cheese sandwich but he wouldn't see it.

Why?

I agree. I find it extremely easy. On the other hand, I would find cooking meat to be extremely intimidating.