Menu

Homeschool fitness??

6wishes

Has anyone used Family Time Fitness or another homeshool fitness program? What have been your pros/cons? How often do you do it, and are your kids involved in any other out of the home athletics? I have 2 dd's that are in gymnastics, 1x per week for an hour. They do get a lot of outside play, but wondering if I need to make more of an effort to do something more "formal", and more then once per week...

I'm interested in opinions on this...

I haven't found a reason to add anything formal. My boys take golf and swimming lessons and play on basketball and soccer teams at different times throughout the year. We will probably start Crossfit Kids (Dh is a Crossfit coach) and/or tennis this summer since ds8 has been begging to do both. Overall, we're a VERY active family. Dh and I are very interested in nutritional eating and teach the dc about it too. Ds8 is pretty picky so he gets daily lessons in nutrition :D.

I can't remember anything important I learned in PE class that is missing from our lifestyle. I have looked at Homeschool Fitness and nothing jumped out at me, but I'd like to know if there's something I'm missing.

We don't add pe to our schedule. Both kids play soccer and basketball. My son also plays football and my daughter has done girls on the run. We go to the park when the weather is nice. Occasionally, we will do an exercise, like jumping jacks or sit ups, but it is mostly just for fun.

• 2 weeks later...

Wanted to give an update on this PE curriculum. Mind you, I have only tried the 2 day trial. Both my 12 and 13 year old really enjoyed it. We did the first lesson outdoors and the second lesson indoors as it was raining but nontheless, it was equally enjoyable. I did all the same exercises with them and I was sore afterwards so the workout seems to be just as good for adults. It is a very simple get up and go curriculum.

It starts out with a few warm up exercises. Then moves on to some more rigorous activites. Then finally a cool down period of stretch type exercises. Has instructions for each one and a video to accompany it. I really didn't need to look at the videos but if you don't understand the instructions, the videos will show you each activity. Took us about 45 minutes to an hour to run through the lesson.

The kids especially enjoyed the musical statues activity. We put music on and I had to call out different things for them to do like crawl, shuffle, hop, and walk like a crab. When the music stops, they have to freeze. I added some additional ones of my own, like play air guitar, air drums, and dance. They had a blast.

I will probably move forward and get the entire program just have to fit it into the budget.

For me, a PE class isn't just about playing sports or doing physical activity. It is a program that has different focuses in an orderly fashion which work the muscles appropriately.

Family Time Fitness intrigued me enough to purchase. I am hoping to implement it with our new school.

We, our 2 dds and myself, teach/take taekwondo twice a week. But lately I've wanted to add more (beside general outside play). Recently, I've added "field day" on Fridays. We are learning tennis, playing kick ball with some of our group members, and whatever else I come up with. Now, we'll have three days where we are doing something a little more formal.

Marsha

Wanted to give an update on this PE curriculum. Mind you, I have only tried the 2 day trial. Both my 12 and 13 year old really enjoyed it. We did the first lesson outdoors and the second lesson indoors as it was raining but nontheless, it was equally enjoyable. I did all the same exercises with them and I was sore afterwards so the workout seems to be just as good for adults. It is a very simple get up and go curriculum.

It starts out with a few warm up exercises. Then moves on to some more rigorous activites. Then finally a cool down period of stretch type exercises. Has instructions for each one and a video to accompany it. I really didn't need to look at the videos but if you don't understand the instructions, the videos will show you each activity. Took us about 45 minutes to an hour to run through the lesson.

The kids especially enjoyed the musical statues activity. We put music on and I had to call out different things for them to do like crawl, shuffle, hop, and walk like a crab. When the music stops, they have to freeze. I added some additional ones of my own, like play air guitar, air drums, and dance. They had a blast.

I will probably move forward and get the entire program just have to fit it into the budget.

Thanks for the follow up. I need to go out and try the trial myself. My kids are younger then yours...are you going to implement the worksheets as well?

I'm not familiar with what is currently on the market, but I have always been a fan of a Physical Fitness EDUCATION for homeschoolers. Just like I am a fan of art and music EDUCATION. The goals scan be small, but there should be goals that are measurable.

As well as movement activities, we always had a sport of the month. I would get books from the library and we would study the history and rules of the games and look for some type of drill activity to do. Often for the ball sports it was nothing more than to dribble, or throw the ball up in the air and catch it, or throw the ball at a target.

Summer is a good time to plan PE for next year. At different times of the year, equipment goes on sale, often a few months after everyone want the equipment. Stamina equipment that was all the rage in January hits rock bottom prices now. Baseball and beach equipment goes on sale in the Fall. Keep your eyes open and learn the patterns.

For me, a PE class isn't just about playing sports or doing physical activity. It is a program that has different focuses in an orderly fashion which work the muscles appropriately.

Family Time Fitness intrigued me enough to purchase. I am hoping to implement it with our new school.

I think the principle behind this quote is really important. We cannot just send the kids outisde to play and call it PE. Just like other subjects. There needs to be a specific focus and progress in a certain skill. I think sports teams and lessons are a great alternative to a formal PE curriculum.

Don't forget the value of individual sports like running, biking, swimming, etc. You don't have to be on a team and all of those can be sports that the child can carry over into his adult life. They can be participated in alone or with others, but lack the drawbacks of team sports.

And they provide ample teaching opportunities for the parent to participate and teach.

Thanks for the follow up. I need to go out and try the trial myself. My kids are younger then yours...are you going to implement the worksheets as well?

I don't think that I will be doing the worksheets, just following the physical part of it for now. I saw the worksheet samples and they seem a little too young for mine but they will probably work for you since you have younger children.

Mine have also done other sports in previous years which have included karate, soccer, dancing classes, and basketball but I have made their classload a little heavier this year so am going to do this PE so I can fit it in sometime during our day. The morning seems to work best for them and also wakes them up and gives them some energy to tackle the lessons.

I don't think that I will be doing the worksheets, just following the physical part of it for now. I saw the worksheet samples and they seem a little too young for mine but they will probably work for you since you have younger children.

Where are the workbook samples? I have looked all over that site and I can't seem to find them....

I saw the two FTF authors speak at the Midwest Homeschool convention. Their curriculum is about learning movement skills. One thing they talked about how group sports is the worst place to learn movement because you are being watched and with your peers, which keeps you from learning much (unless you are athletic already I suppose). One is a PE teacher at Texas A&M (I think that's the correct school) where they must take at least 1 PE credit to graduate, and told about how many college students he has that lack basic movement skills (like swinging a tennis racket for instance) so they spend a lot of time on basic PE skills before they can learn a sport.

I had already bought the FTF curriculum in the fall but had not used it. Hearing them inspired me to get it going. We've been able to pull it off about 2 times a week. I want to do more than that, however.

I don't add PE. The girls go outside and to playgrounds frequently. Sylvia does gymnastics 1x/week and Becca is going up to 3x (about 12 hours) weekly. That's plenty, IMO. They've also done soccer and tennis in the past.

PE is usually only required in high school unless your state requirements specify it. So you are probably good.

I can see the usefulness of a PE curriculum, even if your kids are in sports. There are some things that might not come up in individual sports (like crossing the midline or balance things - I don't know enough to know what they all are). :001_smile:

We have Family Time Fitness. The kids like it, but it is hard to get to. I don't like being tied to the computer to use it (both to read the lessons and watch the youtube videos that go with it). I think there is too much variety per lesson for me - there are a bunch of short activities like do 10 frog jumps and then 10 of this and 10 of that and on and on. Probably once you have used it awhile you would know what all these meant, but for us we would do one short thing and then have to watch the video for the next and then do it and then watch another video etc. It was just kind of a pain. Some kids probably love the variety, I just thought it was too much in one lesson.

:iagree:

I just learnt this lesson recently when I discovered my DD has shoddy gross motor skills. So I bought a book and the activites are all ones you'll see in PE at school - crab walks, wheelbarrow races. etc. My kids have no upper body strength and my DD's co-ordination is all off.

PE is really important. My kids play outside and at the park all the time and it hasn't done anything for them.

I thought about the tied to the computer part when I downloaded it. I didn't want to have to be opening it on my computer either and go back and fourth because had that been the case, I know I wouldn't use it. So what I did was I opened the file on my iphone and since I have wi-fi at home, was easy to pull it up and I didn't have to be by the computer. My ideal use for this program would be on a tablet but I don't have one of those yet so had to do with what I had. I could also see the videos easily on it but the instructions were pretty good and I didn't make use of them. If you don't have an electronic device to pull it up, I imagine you can also print up the lesson but wouldn't be able to make use of the videos.

My kids enjoyed the variety because they get bored pretty easily if we do the same thing for too long.

because our school requires something PE ish almost everyday. I dont drive so cant take my kids to PE homeschool classes or sports so this is all I can provide them and just send the teacher the curriculum so she can document whatever they are working on which are specific movement activities.

The activities are good and creative. It tires my kids out.

I have printed all the activity pages out and placed in a binder and then each night before I look at the videos so I know how on earth how to do the activities. The variety is good. I don;t mind the various different activities. We sometimes dont always have the equipment needed to do the activities and I make do with an upside down garbage can or whatever.

We are probably not going to do the worksheets.

I think for next year I will schedule PE at the end of the day rather than in the middle of the day after lunch. My kids are pooped afterwards.

Next year they are required to take the presidential fitness test through the charter school so we better get moving on the activities to get them fit.

Right now we had to take a hiatus on PE as my daughters kept getting sick and losing weight. (We have been going to an endocrinologist.) But once summer starts I will probably get going on the curriculum again.

The lessons are sent to your email and you can do with them what you like. Print them out, read and watch on the android. I like how I could use these lessons year after year.

One thing I noticed when they say to do the activities they dont say how big the room or yard should be so when they say do 5 reps of crab walk well I guess it varies depending on the size of the space you have and that will affect the amount of workout your child gets I suppose.

We did it for 3 months before tapering off due to a change in my schedule. I want to pick it up again.

The curriculum authors are very responsive - DS was having trouble with some of the activities, e.g. dribbling a ball across the room, and getting very frustrated because the ball would escape halfway. I emailed them and they suggested alternatives, or said in certain cases it would be OK to skip that activity since the skill would be covered in a different way. So I want to give them credit for being quick to help.

Equipment - very simple, hula hoops, a ball with decent bounce and skipping rope (At least until lesson 60).