Menu

Very Depressed about my weight and size

I am going to this intensive boot camp at the YMCA. It is ten days. I am on day 7. I feel so discourage because it does not seem as if I have lost a pound. Every day, we have to walk/jog for three miles, which lasts an hour for me. For the second hour, we do this intensive workout. I come home sore everyday. I am tired. Last week I could not sleep because I was so sore. This week, I am crying because my clothes are still too tight. It seems as if once I have hit 40s, it got sooo difficult to loose the weight. Will this weight every come off? Will I ever fit into my clothes or should I just buy new one in a larger size? Should I wait until the end of the summer to see how my weight goes? I did this intensive boot camp in order to jump start my summer with exercise since I did nothing these past nine months. What a fool I was!

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

Your inner beauty is more important than your outward appearance.

I read a lot of self-condemnation in your post. I think that that actually feeds the weight-gain. The boot-camp sounds like it reinforces that as well. It sounds more like punishing your body than gaining healthy habits. It doesn't sound wise for the Y to sponsor such intense exercise for someone who has been sedentary.

I guess finish out your bootcamp--or quit. I think that's fine.

Find some form of exercise you enjoy. Do you love walking outside? Do you feel energetic dancing to upbeat music? Love the relaxation of swimming? You're going for lifestyle change. You can't reverse a long period of neglect of your body in a short period of time. It takes patience.

You know what kind of "diet" works for me? I call it an "adding diet." Years ago, I added lots of fruits and veges. I added salmon, avocado, walnuts, pistachios, almonds, (yep and lost weight), olive oil, a daily small glass of concord grape juice mixed with some pure pomegranate juice. Oh, dark chocolate. (I like Baker's semi-sweet chocolate. It's thick and satisfying) I love all that! I actually don't diet. When I eat healthy and tasty food, and exercise in a way that I enjoy, I don't have to "strive", I feel better and losing weight is a side-benefit.

Stop punishing yourself and take care of yourself!

:grouphug: Awww, hang in there. Trust me you are not alone.

Perhaps you are retaining water? Have you been drinking at least 8 8oz glasses of water? You should really hav more than that as you are working out hard. Are you taking any medications or do you have a health condition that would make weight loss difficult? I found losing weight, even stabilizing weight on SSRIs impossible - there are almost always medication alternatives if you talk to your Dr.

Have you modified your eating habits at all? Sometimes people eat more when they are exercising. Make sure you are watching what you eat but don't starve yourself either - your body will go into starvation mode not to mention you could hurt yourslf as you are exercising so much.

Hang in there. Seriously. This will kick start your metabolism. It's not going to be easy - gone are th 20s when you could skip a meal and lose 4 pounds but it WILL come off.

Good advice for myself too. I've started back into my exercise/diet program. I hate exercise and I love food so this is hard but I really, really, want to lose weight (again).

Wow, Testimony... congrats on an entire week of YMCA boot camp!! :hurray: That sounds very tough. Especially jumping right in like that. Only 3 more days to go!

Don't be too hard on yourself. Do you have a trainer working with you during the boot camp? What is your plan for after the boot camp is over? Give yourself some time, maybe see how things are after 4-6 weeks of a regular exercise routine. Then re-evaluate your plan if you need to.

I need some of your determination... I haven't managed to get into a regular exercise routine at all lately!!

I can't believe you are doing it! That's amazing! There are days when going up and down my stairs a million times seems too much for me! (God, I want a ranch!!!)

One thing--if you really don't lose weight after this, have your dr. check your blood sugar just to be sure. I did everything I could over the last 3 years to lose weight and nothing worked, and I thought it was because I'd gotten into my 40's, etc, (I'm 42), I was hungry ALL the time, but still was careful, but would sometimes gain weight even with excersize and watching what I ate. Turned out I had diabetes, with absolutely NO SYMPTOMS, because I was also dangerously low in potassium, which sometimes happens with it, and takes away the extreme thirst, frequent urination, etc.

Probably not it at all, but it was for me, and always good to check.

You are building muscle and you are gettign healthy. That's fantastic! Don't worry about the # on the scale, but focus on how good you are feeling and how healthy you are becoming. In the end that is what matters. :grouphug:

I have never seen you up at this hour, Jean! Go to bed! You have a big day tomorrow!

I feel so discourage because it does not seem as if I have lost a pound. Will this weight every come off?

Sorry, Karen, didn't mean to hijack.

Yes, it will come off. I know how discouraging it is to feel like you're working so hard and not seeing any results, and I have quit trying so many times because of that. But what's the alternative? Quit completely? No way. It'll come off, it just takes time.

You're doing great. I am very impressed.

You've been doing it for a whole week! For me that is the toughest part---getting started. The weight WILL come off if you keep it up. Maybe not by the end of the 10 days, but by then you will be motivated to keep on trying.

I've GOT to do something myself and your post has inspired me. :D

((((Karen)))) Seven days of working out is more about starting the habit than actually seeing the results. It's just too soon.

If we were 15 years old again, we would lose 5-10 pounds in those 7 days; but we're not. I'm 44, and I worked out for 5 days a week (1 hour each day) for 3 weeks right before we went down the shore. I lost nothing. Not one pound. But I (re)started my workout habit, which I love. I feel strong and healthy when I workout, so I'll keep doing it. Before I left (or while I was down the shore; can't rememeber) I asked here about a diet I could live with. I've made a decision, and I think you may benefit from it too. I simply can't live with any "diet" that excludes food I love. I know myself, and I know that I'll just be setting myself up to fail if I start WW or Atkins or any other diet that limits food choices OR makes me count points or calories or fat grams or....I'd much rather each what I want in VERY small portions. I'm starting by actually cutting what I want in half AND measuring/weighing food -- it's amazing what a "serving" really is! LOL

Karen, I would encourage you to finish your 10 days -- you've come so far!!!! Don't give up now. Look at this as the BEGINNING, not the end. In the meantime, talk to someone there about a regular daily workout you can do once this 10 day thing is up. 30-60 minutes of aerobics 5 days a week plus 2-3 strength training sessions a week would be great. Once that habit is ingrained, work on your intake (exercise is output); cut one area at a time (i.e. eat less sugar or stop drinking soda or drink all your water for the day -- baby steps).

You're doing great! Just don't stop. An old WW leader of mine put it this way (and believe me, I need to hear this too): You're always moving in one direction or the other. You need to decide where you want to go and which direction to move in: are you going forward or backward? Either way, if you don't change direction, you'll definitely get to the place you're headed!

Keep going! The weight is going to come off. I don't know why it takes a couple of weeks when you jump start a health kick with hard core exercise, but it does.

Several years ago I did a weight loss plan following Body for Life where I worked out every day. I was so sore I couldn't even hold up the hair dryer to dry my hair. I also radically changed my eating habits using the same program. The first week I lost zero pounds. The second week I lose zero pounds. The third week I went to a women's retreat and complained to my gf way too long. When I got home I had lost 4 pounds and took off 2 more a week for awhile.

Keep going - it will come off.

Also double check your eating habits. Maybe log your calorie intake for 2 days just to make sure you are not eating more than needed. Weight loss is 70% diet and some time when I work out intensely I end up eating more.

Karen,

I just wanted to give you some encouragement :grouphug:. You're doing great! I don't know many women out of their 20s that can lose weight in 7 days unless they stop eating. Just keep it up. The most important thing is to find a workout routine after you bootcamp is over that you can stick with. Classes at the YMCA really work for me because I become accountable to the instructor. Slow weight loss is healthy weight loss:001_smile:.

Karen :grouphug: I've been going to the gym since January and have seen little weight loss, but I have seen a huge increase in stamina. I feel so much better! I'm not saying to give up on the weight loss, I'm not, but I just want to encourage you to look at all the other benefits as well.

Next ENOCH when we hug our arms will be go a lot further around each other. ;)

:grouphug: Awww, hang in there. Trust me you are not alone.

Perhaps you are retaining water? Have you been drinking at least 8 8oz glasses of water? You should really hav more than that as you are working out hard. Are you taking any medications or do you have a health condition that would make weight loss difficult? I found losing weight, even stabilizing weight on SSRIs impossible - there are almost always medication alternatives if you talk to your Dr.

Have you modified your eating habits at all? Sometimes people eat more when they are exercising.

You said that I am retaining water. I discovered that I got my period today. I am usually bloated the week right before and it is water retention. You were right. Thanks for the encouragement!

Blessing,

Karen

Karen,

I just wanted to give you some encouragement :grouphug:. You're doing great! I don't know many women out of their 20s that can lose weight in 7 days unless they stop eating. Just keep it up. The most important thing is to find a workout routine after you bootcamp is over that you can stick with. Classes at the YMCA really work for me because I become accountable to the instructor. Slow weight loss is healthy weight loss:001_smile:.

Thank you Taira, I appreciate these very kind words. It helps.

I have made it to Day 8 of Boot Camp. I also got my period today. Guess what the focus was on today. ABS!!! She had us do different types of stomach crunches.

Some of my clothes fit today. It is because I was in PMS last week.:001_huh:

I am going to get through this. I made a promise to myself and I will not break this one.

Blessings to everyone,

Karen

Have you joined us over on sparkpeople? Or checked the thread on it? There are a lot people who are going through a similar struggle.

What you're doing sounds like a great beginning. However, it's not the beginning, middle and end. You will be sore in the beginning. In my experience you stop being sore after working out for about a month. The soreness won't last forever. Buy a big box of epsom salts and soak in the tub, that will help a little.

How's you're eating? You can exercise all day long, but you can also undo it with eating poorly. It's a matter of taking in calories,but expending many as well. You have to know that weight loss is a gradual process. That's why it's so difficult for everyone. If we all saw results in a week then I believe many people would be motivated to lose weight. You have to stick with it. Even if you're not seeing the results you want, you are becoming healthier each time you do it. You are preventing so many future illnesses simply by exercising. But I'm telling you, the ticket is exercise AND diet. I've always exercised, and I've always been small compared to many women. However, I'm only 5' tall so it doesn't take much to look chunky. Last year I weighed 116# which was my largest except when I was preggie. Now I know that doesn't seem like much, but for my stature it piled on quick in my belly, butt, and legs. So I started running, seriously watching my intake,and within 2 months I had lost 14#. My point in all this was that even at 116# I exercised daily...it was my intake that was holding me back. Just keep pushing. You will see results, but you have to be consistent for a lifetime. I know, it's overwhelming, but you can do it!

I'm doing the same. I've been blogging for the last week my journey and hope to continue during the whole process. It's hard. I get weighed in tomorrow and I'm really worried that I'm going to be discouraged and will want to give up. But, I can tell you that I won't. I can't. Anyway, if you want to read about some of the stuff I've found out and find some great links, the blog link is below in my signature under Healthy Mom.

God bless! Keep going!