Menu

Poll: Did you drink coffee while pregnant?

Did you cut out coffee/tea/caffeine while pregnant?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Did you cut out coffee/tea/caffeine while pregnant?

• I never drank caffeine drinks anyway
    • I gave it up completely while pregnant
    • I cut back some, but not entirely
    • I didn't cut back at all, or drank very little to begin with.
    • Other

In the interest of remaining conscious throughout the day while caring for my other kids, I've continued my regular coffee consumption.

Absolutely. I have mild ADHD--I can't focus without some caffeine. I imagine needing a real prescription would be worse for the wee babe.

I voted Other.

With my first, I drank only decaf--the Swiss water process variety;).

With my second, I drank no more than 1 cup a day of caffeinated coffee.

With my third...just give me the pot of coffee and no one gets hurt. :D Well, OK--3 cups a day;). Drinking the whole pot came after pregnancy while trying to keep up;).

And no, my youngest never has been "wired"--the most mellow by FAR. Go figure;).

I chose other. I would have happily carried on my two cups a day habit, but as soon I was pregnant each time, coffee tasted horrible. I just couldn't drink it. I was really sad about that as I love to sit with coffee each morning during breakfast. So I did give it up but it was completely against my will.

I didn't drink caffeine much anyway, so it was easy for me to have none at all during pregnancy.

I remember reading an article about this that said it was better to reduce caffeine , but if that your system was used to a lot, not to go cold turkey because it was too much of a shock to your system to go cold turkey.

Caffeine has been linked to a higher risk of miscarriage, so I cut it out completely while TTC and during the 1st tri. After that, I will have up to 2 cups of half-caff or 1 cup of regular joe.

This one is an interesting stat because it isn't cause and effect per se, since correlation isn't causation; in this case, it may also be that lack of aversion to coffee/caffeine is a warning sign of potential impending miscarriage and non-viable pregnancy, not that caffeine is the cause of it. The data can go either way and the OB's I know feel it's lack of aversion that points to a non-viable pregnancy, not coffee/caffeine causing miscarriage; most also advise reducing intake if you're consuming copious amounts though since the data can be interpreted either way and high levels of coffee/caffeine depletes folate.

Edited by MrsBear

I gave it up completely. Because it made me nauseous for like the first 15 or 16 weeks (soda, too)! :P And by the time I didn't feel queasy by the very thought of it, I figured may as well not bother with it for the rest of the pregnancy. This was with my son, with my daughters I hadn't been a regular coffee drinker anyway.

Nausea in the first trimester always put a halt to my coffee consumption.

With baby #5 after I got past the first trimester nausea, I went back to my once a day cup of coffee, but when I had my 19 u/s the baby's heartrate was irregularly irregular, so I was instructed "no caffeine". It worked too, because I quit all caffeine cold turkey (the three day headache was horrendous) and it solved our problem.

This one is an interesting stat because it isn't cause and effect per se, since correlation isn't causation; in this case, it may also be that lack of aversion to coffee/caffeine is a warning sign of potential impending miscarriage and non-viable pregnancy, not that caffeine is the cause of it. The data can go either way and the OB's I know feel it's lack of aversion that points to a non-viable pregnancy, not coffee/caffeine causing miscarriage; most also advise reducing intake if you're consuming copious amounts though since the data can be interpreted either way and high levels of coffee/caffeine depletes folate.

This particular study controlled for the degree of morning sickness as a way of getting at the issue of coffee aversion (the smell of coffee definitely worsens my first tri morning sickness).

I drastically reduced, but never could quite cut the caffeine entirely. When I breastfed I drank half caff.

I switch from regular caffeinated coffee to half-caff during pregnancy. I don't drink any less during my pregnancies. I have to cut way back and be more careful while breastfeeding though. My pediatrician didn't seem to believe me, but it made a huge difference in the sleep schedule and irritability of my children for the first few months.

I am in the middle of a full pot of half-caff, and right at the beginning of the third trimester right now. I also don't cook my eggs to a hard yolk (but always a hard white), order my steaks medium rare, and snitch occasional pieces of sushi with raw fish from my husband's plate. I do avoid certain herbs. I don't usually drink alcohol, but that's because we stop buying alcohol for the house and I'd rather not order it out while I'm visibly pregnant. I stopped smoking cigarettes during my first pregnancy, but most of the women I worked with didn't.

I'm very particular about some aspects of parenting, but diet hasn't been something I worry about yet.