Menu

Area homeschool store closing...what a bummer!

I'm not sure why but Love2Learn, a fabulous brick-and-mortar homeschool store, will be closing next month. :( I am so sad! I'm roughly 40 miles away, but I get there as often as I can, usually with my old-board boardie pal, SueTx. :seeya:

Is this happening everywhere? I love Amazon and all, but now I'm definitely feeling a bit guilty for not supporting (roughly) local business. Sigh.

sad-014.gif

I am really bummed about this, too. Where will I go to get the next book in the Explode the Code or Singapore Math series when one of my dc finish a workbook? I might actually have to - gasp - plan ahead!I always like to peruse their used section, too, and currently have consigned books there.:glare:

I almost never walk out of there without some little extra something that I didn't come in for. Perhaps it will be better on my pocketbook, but I loved to spend time browsing there.

Yes, Love 2 Learn closing is sad, but we are still fortunate in the Houston area of having at least 4 other homeschooling stores. Don't forget The Homeschool Store on Judiway, HEP in the Clearlake Area, The Curious Mind in Katy, and the ?Ladybug? store or something similar that just opened in Kingwood. I believe there is another homeschool store opening in the Kingwood area as well.

I think I would have to move if our local homeschool store shut down. I'm usually in there once or twice a week. I spend a *lot* of money in there - not just for my own kids but I also do thousands of dollars of library purchasing through them for our homeschool library.

I will do a couple of Amazon shops during the year, but the bulk of my stuff is bought locally.

Yes, Love 2 Learn closing is sad, but we are still fortunate in the Houston area of having at least 4 other homeschooling stores. Don't forget The Homeschool Store on Judiway, HEP in the Clearlake Area, The Curious Mind in Katy, and the ?Ladybug? store or something similar that just opened in Kingwood. I believe there is another homeschool store opening in the Kingwood area as well.

The Tomball one is the only one that isn't a major drive for me. I occasionally go to the one on Judiway, but I don't like driving into Houston, and it isn't as pleasant a shopping experience, IYKWIM, though their selection is much larger.

I will do a couple of Amazon shops during the year, but the bulk of my stuff is bought locally.

I sure would prefer to purchase locally, but sadly, independent bookstores are few and far between. Sigh.

There is one chain in the area called Hastings that carries books (and movies and music). I'd love to shop there, but not only is the selection limited, it includes quite a few, er, "gentleman's" publications shelved quite accessibly amongst the other magazines. Thus, I dislike supporting them. :glare:

ETA: I do try to purchase from a variety of online places--Memoria Press, Peace Hill Press, Timberdoodle--rather than give it all to Amazon. :)

I have a store in Charlotte that I frequent and know the owner well. She said they are definitely struggling because of online shopping. However, they are planning on updating their website to get into the "net shopping" group. I try to buy from them often, my dh would say too often.

They don't say anything about closing on their website::crying:

http://www.love2learnstore.com

I have some consignment there also, I wonder if I can get it back?:001_huh:

I think I will call them tomorrow and see what's up.

Thanks for the heads up.

I know. I did email them today and received confirmation from the owner that they are closing both the store and the website. :confused: I understand that the closing will be sometime in July.

Where's Robin in TX? I believe she knows the owners. Oh, Robin... :bigear:

In our area we have a couple of educational stores. One of them closed their doors recently and the other was a chain of about 5 stores that closed 3 in the last year or so. I work at one that caters to homeschoolers specifically, and while business has been slow and the numbers not as good as last year the owner is not in any danger of closing her doors. In talking to the parents its not necessarily online dealers that have contributed to the decline in business, but just the overall state of the economy. I guess when it comes down to it and it's books or gas, I guess gas wins every time.

I have a store in Charlotte that I frequent and know the owner well. She said they are definitely struggling because of online shopping. However, they are planning on updating their website to get into the "net shopping" group. I try to buy from them often, my dh would say too often.

There used to be a great one in Huntersville, sadly it closed. I saw above last weekend at conference in SC.

There is one chain in the area called Hastings that carries books (and movies and music). I'd love to shop there, but not only is the selection limited, it includes quite a few, er, "gentleman's" publications shelved quite accessibly amongst the other magazines. Thus, I dislike supporting them. :glare:

Not to mention that it is sometimes hard to get the surly teenage checkout help there to actually take notice of you and check out your books. I once left a huge stack of books on the counter- well, not left, slammed them actually - and l walked out, I am ashamed to say, in a huff. I have not been back since. Since I have an aversion to driving to The Woodlands for the new B&N location, it leaves me and DH in a date night pickle.

I'd cry too. Sad, sad. How I wish we had one here.

I'm not sure why but Love2Learn, a fabulous brick-and-mortar homeschool store, will be closing next month. :( I am so sad! I'm roughly 40 miles away, but I get there as often as I can, usually with my old-board boardie pal, SueTx. :seeya:

Is this happening everywhere? I love Amazon and all, but now I'm definitely feeling a bit guilty for not supporting (roughly) local business. Sigh.

sad-014.gif

I called Love 2 Learn and they are closing at the end of July.:001_unsure: For the consignments, they are going to try and sell what they can until about the middle of July. Then they are going to pull what consignments are left and call everyone to come to pick up their stuff. They will pay what they owe you then.

We are really going to miss them, they are so much closer than the other homeschool store in Houston.

I know. I did email them today and received confirmation from the owner that they are closing both the store and the website. :confused: I understand that the closing will be sometime in July.

Where's Robin in TX? I believe she knows the owners. Oh, Robin... :bigear:

Hi, Debra. Yes, I know the owners. And I'm well acquainted with their situation (I'm helping their bookkeeper get the financials in order for the CPA).

Regarding the website: The general consensus has been that it would be great if another family could buy/take over the store/website. I don't think the owner wants to shut down the website until the last minute, in case someone wants to buy it. Once shut down, it would cost to reactivate.

The store is scheduled to close at the end of July.

Everyone who has consignment will get their materials back (or be paid) unless they directed differently on their consignment (there is an option to donate the materials if they don't sell within a certain amount of time). The owner is trying to keep everything for sale as long as possible. Obviously, at some point, she's going to have to break the consignment down and sort it by seller, but I think they'll not do that until they absolutely have to. If anyone is concerned about their consignment, my suggestion would be to ask if they can come in and personally pull their consignment off the shelves. That way you can get your materials now and offer them on a swap board, etc.. That is what I would do if I had high qualify, costly items on consignment that I really needed to get my money out of. I do not think the staff has the time to do this right now... It would be best if you came in and pulled it yourself, imo, but you migiht want to check with them first because I am not in a position to be saying this with any authority at all.

They are marking things down to liquidate as much as possible. Other retailers may buy out her inventory of certain publishers, so across the board price slashing hasn't begun yet :). But some price reductions have already started, so I'd get in there pretty quick if there are things you really want.

Yes, it's sad. Kind of the end of an era, to be honest. Dd and I have been hanging out at the Keith's store for years.

Oh, and it wasn't her husband who was in the hospital with seizures. Not that I am aware of... I'm sure I would have heard about that!

Hi, Debra. Yes, I know the owners. And I'm well acquainted with their situation (I'm helping their bookkeeper get the financials in order for the CPA).

Oh, Robin...thank you for the information. I am really, really bummed about it. I am sure that the Keiths know how very much their store has been appreciated and loved. I will pray that the transition goes smoothly for them (and you as you help them). :grouphug: