Menu

Would you do this to deliver with your ob?

I have very limited insurance that covers one super medical hospital in town. There are no good midwife options within driving distance. I actually found a doctor here that I like and feel like everything will be okay.

This weekend she is covering at a tiny hospital 45 minutes away. If you went into labor, would you consider going out there to deliver? The bad thing is, I have no idea their take on nursery care and that stuff. Or even if they have a nursery. Anything wrong with the baby would mean an emergent transfer to the hospital we are supposed to deliver at. Also, it would put me 45 minutes from home instead of 3.... making it harder for DH to run home and grab a toothbrush or the kids or whatever.

But, if we went out there, I'd have my ob who will let me walk in labor and not have iv fluids. Unlike my last who said he always delivered with forceps... :confused:

Your alternative is a guy who always uses forceps (??) I'd drive if that/a bad OB was my only alternative.

No. He actually shouldn't be on call this weekend. But, I'd say overall it is how this hospital generally is. Everyone is induced with epidurals and a 50-65% section rate. Continuous monitoring and IV fluids and ice chips only.

No. He actually shouldn't be on call this weekend. But, I'd say overall it is how this hospital generally is. Everyone is induced with epidurals and a 50-65% section rate. Continuous monitoring and IV fluids and ice chips only.

It's hard to say when you're not actually in that situation, but this is what I think I would do.

Wait to go to the hospital until I am pretty far into active labor (regular strong contractions no more than 5 min apart). Then get signed in, refuse the IV, refuse continuous monitoring (allow intermittent with doppler), and eat what I want/need, although by that point in labor I usually wasn't interested in eating anything. Refuse epidural. Refuse internal exam until I feel like I need to push at which point I would allow them to confirm complete dilation. Baby comes out, insist that he/she not go anywhere without being accompanied by either DH or myself. Refuse Hep B. Maybe allow Vit K and eye ointment if I am tired of refusing things. Check out as soon as possible.

It's hard to say when you're not actually in that situation, but this is what I think I would do.

Wait to go to the hospital until I am pretty far into active labor (regular strong contractions no more than 5 min apart). Then get signed in, refuse the IV, refuse continuous monitoring (allow intermittent with doppler), and eat what I want/need, although by that point in labor I usually wasn't interested in eating anything. Refuse epidural. Refuse internal exam until I feel like I need to push at which point I would allow them to confirm complete dilation. Baby comes out, insist that he/she not go anywhere without being accompanied by either DH or myself. Refuse Hep B. Maybe allow Vit K and eye ointment if I am tired of refusing things. Check out as soon as possible.

So, you'd go to the close hospital?

Unless you know for sure the OB's call schedule with the hospital and that she is indeed on call, you could wind up with anyone there if it's not her....and if it is her and you don't deliver before her end of shift, she may not be able to stay with you like she might/can in the hospital she normally admits through. Just something to think about.

Unless you know for sure the OB's call schedule with the hospital and that she is indeed on call, you could wind up with anyone there if it's not her....and if it is her and you don't deliver before her end of shift, she may not be able to stay with you like she might/can in the hospital she normally admits through. Just something to think about.

I'm pretty sure it would only be her out there. Most tiny hospitals like that just have one ob on call and they sleep when they aren't delivering. I think it's small enough she likely won't have any deliveries while she's out there. She gave me her number and told me I could call her...

I'm pretty sure it would only be her out there. Most tiny hospitals like that just have one ob on call and they sleep when they aren't delivering. I think it's small enough she likely won't have any deliveries while she's out there. She gave me her number and told me I could call her...

Then I would call her if I went into labor, and see what she has to say. Otherwise, :iagree: w/ Beth. :D