Menu

Parents, do your kids play 1+ hours of video games per day?

If so, I am conducting a study on video games and nutrition. I would love for you to participate! Ideally, if your child is between 9-12 years of age that would be great. If you have more than one child, you can take the survey more than once. I do not include children younger than three years old in my survey simply because it is not the focus of my project.

Your input will provide me with answers to questions about "educational games" or "games for health." I know you might not be interested in taking a survey, but I am really hoping to end childhood obesity (your child does NOT have to be overweight if you do want to participate in the survey!) and answering a few questions for my research project is all I am asking of you.

I attend USC for graduate school by the way :)

https://uscannenberg.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_9ZUMSNIC2KPGA7i

Thank you for your participation!

Hi there! You should be able to move the "answers" up and down so that you decide what should be number 1 and what should be number 4. Does that make sense? So from the top, the first choice is the least desirable and the last choice (4) is the most desirable.

Your survey is skewed to kids in school. My child does not attend school so I neither pack a lunch nor does he eat at school daily. And the most important piece of data that will be affected is the number of hours my child is exposed to media per day. I answered 7+ hours because we are home and have access to all things screen related. That answer would be eyebrow raising for a child who spends 8 hours in school and is probably awake 5 or 6 hours between school and bedtime. You might want to take that into consideration when you are compiling your data.

Thank your for your feedback. That is something I will take into consideration. Please bear in mind that this is my first time creating a survey. Although the questions may not directly relate to each individual person, I can get a general sense of what parents think of video games. Thanks for taking the survey!

I answered for my 8 1/2 yo twins. :)

I put that they "never" eat a school lunch, and that I "always" fix them their lunch (in reality, they help themselves to whatever leftovers or sandwich stuff my refrigerator is currently stocked with, but hey - I made most of it, right? Hee-hee.)

I consider them very active & healthy, but it has as much to do with their physical exercise (usually a few hours outside every day) as what they eat, in my opinion.

Another idea that might be helpful (to you) is to put 5 answer choices instead of 3 for the "agree / disagree" section. Sometimes I "mildly agree" but had to click "not agree / disagree" because I don't "strongly agree." :D

Kudos for you for researching, and good luck on the project!

Yeah, I realized that I could do like a 7 point Likert scale (from strongly agree to somewhat agree) but in analyzing the data, I needed firm answers (yes/no) otherwise I wouldn't really be "proving" anything or finding out any real data. So that's why there's the "strongly agree" and "strongly disagree" questions. But I totally get what you mean.

I don't want to give any of my personal opinions because that might interfere with the data, but I know exactly what you mean Katie and I really appreciate your feedback as well!

Thanks! Take care :)

Hi there! You should be able to move the "answers" up and down so that you decide what should be number 1 and what should be number 4. Does that make sense? So from the top, the first choice is the least desirable and the last choice (4) is the most desirable.

It didn't like me leaving them in the order listed. I had to move them around then back to the original order. :D

Oh, I'm another that skewed your school lunch results. I said I always pack lunch since I always prepare lunch.

I answered for my 8 1/2 yo twins. :)

I put that they "never" eat a school lunch, and that I "always" fix them their lunch (in reality, they help themselves to whatever leftovers or sandwich stuff my refrigerator is currently stocked with, but hey - I made most of it, right? Hee-hee.)

I consider them very active & healthy, but it has as much to do with their physical exercise (usually a few hours outside every day) as what they eat, in my opinion.

Another idea that might be helpful (to you) is to put 5 answer choices instead of 3 for the "agree / disagree" section. Sometimes I "mildly agree" but had to click "not agree / disagree" because I don't "strongly agree." :D

Kudos for you for researching, and good luck on the project!

:iagree:

I got the impression that the OP is coming from the POV that most parents will be against video games. So I can't change my mind about video games as we are a gaming family.

Thanks for your response WendyAndMilo. My advisor actually instructed me to ask the question exactly in the way it is phrased in my survey about whether your child is overweight or not. I thought it might be too invasive. I originally had a completely different way of asking it but actually, I do have responses that have agreed that their child is overweight.

You understand that if you form the thesis first and then create the survey, you will often write a survey that supports your own thesis, right?

FWIW, the games the survey listed are not ones that we play- neither the "healthy" ones or the "unhealthy" ones. The survey kind of looks like one that was written by someone who doesn't actually play many games or has much familiarity with the genres referenced.

This survey also doesn't allow for physical or learning disabilities that would result in an overweight child who doesn't exercise but spends lots of time with screens.

Were the questions about walking, etc. designed to determine the parent's knowledge of fitness?

Was the restaurant question meant to encompass parent and child or just parent? A working parent probably eats at a restaurant daily, but may take their child very seldom.

Okay there seems to be a lot of feedback from my survey. Keep in mind, I am the creator of the survey and am reading your comments! I do appreciate you all taking my survey. This is for my research project to get my Master's and I am NOT a gamer- to get the record straight. I am passionate about ending childhood obesity and my advisor didn't like that my topic was too general. She wanted me to do something different so that's why it's about video games. (There's more to the story but I am not going into it). I ask certain questions because I need to know what you (parents) think about what is considered educational or what you define as physical activity.

This is important because I can gather (from the data) that the respondents find that games are a hindrance to learning or the opposite. Anyway, the point is that the questions are asked in a certain way because I need to know what you guys think of certain things. I also get that you don't think I have catered this survey to people who are home-schooled. I get that! Unfortunately that wasn't on my mind when creating the survey. But you have to understand that if I was planning to include every possibility the survey would take over an hour. That's NOT what we're supposed to do so please understand that the survey is not perfect and has some flaws.

I am not sure how many hours a day we are on screens since it varies so widely between school projects which take loads of time on screen, to outside activities which take away screen time. I am sure my kids would always answer 24/7 if asked how much time would you like to be in front of a screen.

:)

I took the quiz, but did not include school activities I purposefully have him do on the computer in the daily screen time. IMO this is no different from being at a desk or sitting and reading a book in a regular classroom.

I also make his lunch everyday, and we are active, taking walks, playing on the playground, or doing yard work every day. He was in Martial arts, but hated it.

But I also answered that I do think he is overweight, he isn't obese, at 5'1" and 120 pounds, just thick and solid, and growing really fast with all of it in awkward places right now.

He doesn't over eat, and gets lots of healthy choices at home, and no soda, so I am calling it a phase and quietly paying attention.