Menu

DD's glasses - transitions too expensive, what's an alternative

My dd will have her annual eye exam in a week or two. Her current glasses/frames are 2 years old and she has filled out and needs a bigger pair. Plus, IF her vision has worsened, she'll need a new pair. Either way she gets a new pair.

Looked at transitions today, for her. They are expensive.

Looked at a pair of regular wire frames that they can make transition. The neat thing about this pair is that they have "extendable arms" that reach to the back of the head and are adjoined by a magnetic clasp. These would surely stay on while we are taking our horseback riding lessons. EXPENSIVE! And, ugly.

What alternative is there. She'll wear her regular presciption glasses. Now we need sunglasses for her. Sunglasses that sit atop the glasses will bounce off when she's riding. :lol:

HOW can we secure sunglasses OVER regular glasses?

Is there another technique?

THANKS!

Zenni Optical HANDS DOWN!! They are cheap and very good! They are the only kind of glasses and sunglasses I have! They have clips for sunglasses, magnets and normal RX sunglasses. They have a variety of frames and you can upload a pic to see how the glasses look on you.

Id HIGHLY recommend them!!

I have a pair of clip-on sunglasses; they clip to the frame of my regular glasses and don't bounce around, though I'm not horseback riding in them.

We were able to get a pair of Rx sunglasses for my oldest son with a "buy one, get one" coupon at our local (well, when in the US) glasses place; can you take the Rx and then shop around for the actual glasses? EyeMasters and such places often run these specials.

Zenni Optical HANDS DOWN!! They are cheap and very good! They are the only kind of glasses and sunglasses I have! They have clips for sunglasses, magnets and normal RX sunglasses. They have a variety of frames and you can upload a pic to see how the glasses look on you.

Id HIGHLY recommend them!!

Do you have a link? I'd so appreciate it!

I have a pair of clip-on sunglasses; they clip to the frame of my regular glasses and don't bounce around, though I'm not horseback riding in them.

We were able to get a pair of Rx sunglasses for my oldest son with a "buy one, get one" coupon at our local (well, when in the US) glasses place; can you take the Rx and then shop around for the actual glasses? EyeMasters and such places often run these specials.

Thanks. My dh does this. He has gotten the prescription and found the same (getting numbers from frame, etc) frames on line for much cheaper, etc. We may go this route, but it is a lot of leg work.

My dd will have her annual eye exam in a week or two. Her current glasses/frames are 2 years old and she has filled out and needs a bigger pair. Plus, IF her vision has worsened, she'll need a new pair. Either way she gets a new pair.

Looked at transitions today, for her. They are expensive.

Looked at a pair of regular wire frames that they can make transition. The neat thing about this pair is that they have "extendable arms" that reach to the back of the head and are adjoined by a magnetic clasp. These would surely stay on while we are taking our horseback riding lessons. EXPENSIVE! And, ugly.

What alternative is there. She'll wear her regular presciption glasses. Now we need sunglasses for her. Sunglasses that sit atop the glasses will bounce off when she's riding. :lol:

HOW can we secure sunglasses OVER regular glasses?

Is there another technique?

THANKS!

Get prescription sunglasses. Order your regular pair and get the OD and the other (?) measurement.

Then go to zinnioptical and order prescription sunglasses.

I always get both for three of us.

http://www.zennioptical.com/

We order from them, too, and have been very happy.

Oh, thanks much!

Zenni or check your local eyeglasses places. Many have a 2 for $$ deal. I know the one near my mom's has a special that is the eye exam and two pair of glasses for $109. Of course the tint for sunglasses is slightly more but definitely worth it.

Vision works offers 2/$99, and that is certainly more of a fit with our budget, but the frames are nicer at the eye place.

Dd has a pair of cocoons that she wears with croakies when she rides. So far there have been no problems with bouncing, but she is not jumping if that makes a difference.

WHAT is a cocoon? Croakie-yes, thought of this.

Get prescription sunglasses. Order your regular pair and get the OD and the other (?) measurement.

Then go to zinnioptical and order prescription sunglasses.

I always get both for three of us.

THANKS!

I guess Im the odd ball...I had a bad experience buying online (not zenni) so I took my son to walmart last week. You can buy any frame and they add kids lens package. I paid $79 for the transitions and bought a $75 frame. They have tons cheaper...especially for girls. I had to buy a mens frame for him. They also have a year guarantee for kids under 18

I've had this kind for seveal years. I bought them at Walmart. I've not had any problem with them at all. (But I don't ride horses!) They may be cheap enough to purchase a pair to just try out. You will probably have to go to a store to actually find a pair that fits.

Best wishes.

I guess Im the odd ball...I had a bad experience buying online (not zenni) so I took my son to walmart last week. You can buy any frame and they add kids lens package. I paid $79 for the transitions and bought a $75 frame. They have tons cheaper...especially for girls. I had to buy a mens frame for him. They also have a year guarantee for kids under 18

Thanks. Just mentioned to dh that we need to go to Walmart Vision to price shop!

I've had this kind for seveal years. I bought them at Walmart. I've not had any problem with them at all. (But I don't ride horses!) They may be cheap enough to purchase a pair to just try out. You will probably have to go to a store to actually find a pair that fits.

Best wishes.

Thanks for the link. My dd is out of little kid glasses and into young teen now. The older teen would work and would last much longer.

You may not be able to find cheaper than Zenni, seriously they have GREAT prices (right now they have 50% anti reflective coating for anti glare). They DO have transitions but i dont know how much they are. Never needed them.

This year I bought a red pair with the 1/2 frames for $34.85 when Lenscrafters and Pearl Vision wanted over $100 for the same thing.

Last year I bought I basic green pair for $20.80.

the year before that I bought DH a pair for $70.85 and he has BAD BAD BAD vision! He needed the High Index, super thick lenses. He has 20/800 vision, hes legally blind. Then i bought myself 2 pair for $56.80.

All of this is still MUCH cheaper than Walmart or anywhere else, especially for DH with his bad vision. I have 1 pair from my Medicaid and i hardly wear them.

We didn't have very good luck with Zenni.

We've been very pleased with Walmart. :)

did you not like the prices or options? I did get 1 ugly pair but that was my fault and they ended up looking like goggles. I returned them (at that time they gave you 1/2 your money back, they still may do this?) and got a new pair.

My 11 y.o. got contacts when we couldn't find over-the-glasses lacrosse eyewear. So, she has corrected peripheral vision on the field, wears regular sunglasses, etc. We had to help her get them in for the first month or so, now she slaps them in while standing in the middle of the kitchen, talking to me.