Menu

Nervous about new school year

meggie

Is anybody else getting nervous for the new school year? It's been bothering me more and more lately. Not so much that I'm having trouble sleeping or waking up in a cold sweat over it, but everything we've done until now has been our "practice" runs, now we have to do it for real. I have to send in a letter to the superintendent (not hard), we have to do 810 hours (I know it doesn't all have to be seat work and that playing outside can count as PE), we don't have to do standardized testing or portfolios.

I don't know why I'm so worried. Our state has super easy requirements. I'm worried about his socialization time. And I'm worried because there are no more practice runs. I've never been able to fully stick to the schedule during these years, what makes me thing I will now? I keep telling myself that it will be ok, that I've learned so much from the practice years, that I don't have to be perfect.

Anyone else nervous? Anyone else know how to turn off the nagging worry in the back of your mind?

I really wouldn't worry so much...your child is 6, not 16!! Those early years are a time to snuggle, read, paint, explore...you REALLY can't screw it up too much!! LOL

If the only thing you get done at the end of the year is reading lots of good books and understanding of some fundamental math that can lay a foundation then you're good! :)

Relax!!

I've had a whole day now of straight anxiety and worrying. LOL. It's silly to worry but it happens. It's good to come on here and ask and see how others are doing. I think it helps soooo much!!!!! I've seen a pattern for me, the last few months. It's our third year of homeschooling and my kids are still in the elementary- we need to be easy on ourselves especially since it seems that we are of sound mind when it comes to wanting to give our children the best homeschooling possible. If you're diligent and aware of what your child needs and attempt to do things that will improve and teach and enhance, even meeting difficulty on the way- it is okay. I don't think there's anything to screw up yet! :) Now, to take my own advice!!!! HA!!! For me, also, I keep thinking of the what-ifs or should-haves, etc. and it screws with my mind! It's hard to keep confidence and I think that's so normal.

I got anxious just before we had to start homeschooling "for real". I think it just hits you that you really are doing this, and there is a lot of responsibility with it. For me, I just felt like we were practicing until it was "official" for reporting purposes and we could always back out.

There is a difference between practicing for the Olympics and actually being IN the Olympics :lol:!!!

Breathe deep, and try to relax and enjoy the ride :D! If you're anything like me, you won't feel like this every year. It's just something about it being "official" that make some of us nervous!

I felt that way when we started this year (we school Jan-Dec). We don't have to officially enrol till the child is 6 - which my DD turns in June. It gets better though. We have just finished up the first term and I am proud to say that we schooled nearly all of the days we were suppposed to. Before that it was practice runs and rather spotty :D

There is something about your child being the official school age that gives you a kick in the butt to get it done properly ;)

It did take all of first term for us to get into a routine that my DD didn't protest about but finally she has adjusted and she asks for and expects school everyday now.

I actually feel better and more relaxed now because I have proved that I can do this.

I have to have a moderator come and interview me every year and keep portfolios and evidence of work and follow the State curriculum :001_huh: So I do have people checking up on me that have the power to tell me I have to send my DD to school - so I'm motivated by that factor as well. :lol:

:001_smile::grouphug:

I think you need lots & lots of :grouphug: and some re-assurance.

Everything will be ok.

All we have to do here is remember to send in a form every year to say we're homeschooling (plus a few other bits and pieces at tax time, and when each child is of school age) so I can your worries, but I'm sure everything will turn out fine.

My daughter was counted as Kinder/Prep last year, and we had a fallout with trying to get her to read (long story involving nothing working). This has gotten a few people breathing down my neck, but I'm not worried as I know the children in school aren't reading yet (and the ones who are, are using sight reading and not phonics) Each person has there own reason for homeschooling, the reason why its right for them and their children. Hold onto that reason.

Rather then getting the ocassional report and some silly craft sent home, you actually get to see your children learning day in day out, you can decide when to take photos (real and not staged ones). Your children can put on concerts for you every week (free of charge too :tongue_smilie: ) You get to see that lightbulb moment when they get something. Sometimes, if your lucky, you even get to learn alongside them (which to me, is brilliant, children get to know learning is a life long thing, its no worries if you don' know the answer, my favourite response is "Well I don't KNOW :001_huh: Lets go look it up! :D ) which can lead down some wonderful rabbit trails that both you and the children are excited about.

My education was lax, and even with my children asking questions everyday, I get to learn new things as well. As soon as Daddy gets home, they fly onto him to tell him all the cool things they found out today. They can go off and do there own topics away from your plans, and its still exciting, as its something they want to learn (we haven't begun the new year yet, and my daughter knows about Egyptian Afterlife, embalming, and has done several activities I planned for SOTW already, just came upto me with them. She created a wrapped barbie (using gold ribbon) and pronounced she had anointed it and made canopic jars and now want to make a sarcophagus "could she please have some cardboard?" I gave it to her and off she disappeared again. :D

What I get to have with my children is worth much more sacrifice. We get to be around them in the preciously small years before they grow up. If I was closer, I would come round and give you a giant hug :001_smile: Sorry I don't have any more info, but I am crossing my fingers that everything goes great with you :)

This is exactly how I felt last year around this time. It does make one nervous to be facing doing it for real, especially when we have played around with it off and on during the preschool years (I did the same thing -- also very spotty).

When you start doing it for real, you just know that you have to do it every day and you do it. And you have so much flexibility as to when to fit school into your days/weeks. It really is wonderful. We only school 4 days a week so we can move our days around if we need to and still fit them all in the majority of the time.

You are going to do great.:grouphug:

I totally understand this thread. I too feel I could be doing more and wondering how to face next year. It is very good that ds has friends who are in ps and in the same or next grade he is in. I can see they are no more advanced, or clever, or anything else.

So relax. You will be fine. :001_smile:

I felt that way about this year. Last year Ds would have been in preK, but this year, he would be in K. We don't have to do anything. Since he was never enrolled, there is no letter or notification of any kind, no record that I have a school aged child that we are homeschooling....it is nice, but at the same time, I have been nervous about being outside during school hours.

I dressed a lot at the beginning of the year. We stuck to a strict schedule and I kept written records of everything we did. As the year went on, I relaxed. I did not keep track of wvey little thing. If any one ever questions our Homeschool, I will have a standardized test for each year and any workbook pages he has done. For this year we have our history lap book. I also realized that my neighbors really don't care why my 6 year old is not in school. :tongue_smilie:

We have progressed beyond what I expected, I can relax. Breathe and enjoy the time you get to spend with your kids.

I think all moms have that feeling, whether their child is 6 or 18. Does it ever go away? Just keep sight of your goals, enjoy your time with your kids, and make a vow to do something for school every day. This time with your children will pass quickly.

It's good to be nervous. It means you care. That said, I've had similar anxiety when starting "officially", when starting back up after my 3rd child was born and even am currently nervous about the coming year when I have a K, 3rd grader & a toddler. Then, we do it a few days and I find my rhythm. For all my anxiety, we were back to full days of school within the week my daughter was born. Homeschooling is hard...but I've found it's never as hard as I imagine it to be.

If you all think you are nervous..........this coming year will be our first year and my boys are going to be in 7th grade and 9th grade.....(HIGH SCHOOL). I'm a wreck!!!!! Please pray for us!! I have thought about, wanted to, and dreamed about hs'ing for years. But, for various reasons we left them in ps. With DS14 headed to high school we really have NO choice. It's now!!! But, I have a lot of support from friends who hs, lots of advice, and with imput from folks like you all, I'm hoping for a good year. I'm not really worried about the "teaching".......I am a certified teacher. It's making sure all the requirements are met, that my high schooler gets the correct classes, that I have the paperwork sent in on time. I need lots of :grouphug: support!

Edited by finlee@home

Thanks everyone. It's always reassuring to hear I'm not alone. And :grouphug: to all of you who are nervous too. We can do it!

I realized I'm nervous about fitting it all in. Right now it's ok if we take a week off to clean. It's ok if we're not doing art or quiet time. It's ok if school doesn't happen until the afternoon. I'm still trying to figure in chores, quiet time, plus my time to cook dinner. I want it to run like a well-oiled machine. I want our house reasonably clean, I want to make healthy meals, I want to get lots of fun learning in, and I'd like a shower now and then :lol:. Working that around two toddlers? :glare: I don't know. Add that to the fact that it is for real now and it's getting stressful.

Then I go and read the "Mistakes you made when you first started out" type of threads and you hear people wish they had pushed harder or hadn't pushed so hard or wish that they had done X math and stuck with it or a million other things. So I try to take mental note of each and every thing I should be doing so I don't mess up. Then I realize that it's not possible for me to do this perfectly. There will be some mistakes made. And that scares me most of all. Knowing that there's nothing I can do about it and just hoping it's not something huge.

Nervous, no. We've had a very successful year. However, I know I'll feel a bit of loss on the first day of public school this fall. My cousin's little boy will be starting kindergarten, so it will be hard when the rest of the family is making over his public school achievements.

So you're keeping her home for K too? Congrats! ;)

Oh, yes! (And, thanks.) We can no longer imagine sending DD to public school. She's progressed to the point now where it would just be a ridiculous waste of time for her to go to a traditional kindergarten. I've learn and experienced so much in this past year that I can't ever imagine seeing eye-to-eye with our local public school. The decision has been so freeing. :D

So you're keeping her home for K too? Congrats! ;)

:grouphug: You will be fine. What you're feeling is normal. Make sure you stay on top of your state requirements and you will do well. Generally those who start off very rigid relax into a relatively comfortable groove and vice versa. There will be rough days but it's all worth it. This forum helps a ton.