Menu

Question about wearing military uniform in wedding

If you are in uniform you have to wear the uniform issued head covering when you are outside.

At least that is the rule in the US military.

:iagree: She'd have to be married indoors to get around this. He could probably break tradition, and humor the new wife by taking it off for the kiss, but I wouldn't push for it.

I am very confused by this posting. If the wedding is today why is the protocol of his cover just coming up now? Someone needs to listen to the groom. There is protocol that can not be broken and can have severe consequences for him if they are.

While in uniform and not under cover all members must be covered. The uniformed service cap is referred to as a cover. In simple terms if I look up and see the sky then I must have my cover on referred to as being covered. If I look up and there is no sky, inside a building, parking garage, etc then I do not need to have my cover on.

In this situation if an outdoor wedding and his cover being off are an issue then a gazebo or other structure should have been used for the ceremony rather than just being outdoors.

My husband and I have been married for 4 years, I have been in the uniformed service for 6. He is amazing and has listened and learned protocol, he can prepare my uniform for me, knows what spare pieces I keep in our bedroom closet and makes sure that when I am on travel spares of everything make it into my suitcase. He has even assisted me while accompanying me on official travel with preparing a stage at a conference with all of the high ranking flag officers flags as well as the usual American, State, Department flags. He does all of this quietly from the background. Without him I would not be able to accomplish half of what I do.

I hate to sound so negative but as the previous poster stated sorry honey but you gotta leave thinking your opinion counts at the alter too. Marriage into the uniformed services is an adjustment that goes a lot easier when the spouse or soon to be spouse recognizes there are things you just can not control or change.

The big three are:

1) uniform protocol

2) orders (or in many cases the lack of orders)

3) demands of the uniform (I am on call 24 hrs a day/7 days a week)

I would highly recommend that the new bride be gifted the book "When Duty Calls" by Carol Vandesteeg. This book addresses numbers 2 and 3 of the big three list. Preparing for the separations that go along with being married to a uniformed service spouse.

Technically there are outside areas that can be considered "under cover" thus not requiring the headgear, but I honestly don't remember how they are determined.

Yes, there are areas outside that are considered "under cover" which are determined by the command of the base where they are located and are signified by a small sign stating covered - no salute. These are an exception rather than the rule. It is also probably a safe bet that weddings are not held in these areas.

I think the bigger issue is that she is becoming a military wife and thinks her opinion counts. Sorry honey but you gotta leave that at the altar too. ;)

As a former military wife (who loved the life, btw), this is exactly what I was thinking. But yes, he should wear the hat. Although I can see him taking it off for the kiss for sure--and putting it right back on.

I think the bigger issue is that she is becoming a military wife and thinks her opinion counts. Sorry honey but you gotta leave that at the altar too. ;)

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

As a veteran military wife..... this not only cracks me up - it is oh so true.

Yes - he has to wear the hat, and if he doesn't, he'll get ribbed by every other current and past military member there. No one will come and arrest him ;) But it would be very inappropriate for him to not wear a cover.

My husband just said that he agreed with this. We were at an outdoor military function yesterday and it was a "no cover" event.

The only time/place I have ever heard of this happening is near a flight line. Covers can become FOD (which can take out plane engines,etc.).

Also - I've never heard this happening at a civilian event. A military run event on a base, maybe....

Is the wedding going to be a religious wedding? If so, no cover.

In the USMC:

c. When outdoors, Marines should remain covered, including during invocations and other religious portions of military ceremonies (i.e., changes of command, ship commissionings, military burials, etc.). Marines will uncover outdoors when so ordered or during religious services not associated with a military ceremony. Chaplains will be guided by the customs of their respective churches with respect to wearing head coverings.

http://www.marcorsyscom.usmc.mil/sites/mcub/library/MCUR/URCh3.htm

Navy:

b. Outdoor Wear. Outdoors, personnel remain covered at all times unless ordered to uncover, or during religious services not associated with a military ceremony. Personnel remain covered during invocations or other religious military ceremonies such as changes of command, ships' commissionings and launchings, and military burials, etc. The chaplain conducting the

Page 1-4

religious ceremony will guide participants following the customs of his church.

http://www.unl.edu/nrotc/reference/UniformReg/Chapter1.pdf

I assume it is the same for AF and Army. If the soon to be SIL is in either of those I suggest a quick google search of the uniform regulations.

I agree with what others have said. When I got married 15 years ago, we got married in the backyard of the apartment my dh lived in (it was in a B&B) he wore his cover from the house to the gazebo and was then able to take it off, had we been out in the open the whole time the cover would have remained on.

I'm sorry if she feels her opinion and wishes aren't given equal stance here, but that's how the military is. She'll have to get used to her wishes not mattering a lick.

• 2 weeks later...

The ceremony was outdoors, with couple & minister standing in a gazebo. My son-in-law kept his cap on, but the wind kept blowing it off. He did his best to keep it on, wind and all. My daughter is new to marriage and the military and our minister had her worried. She's figured out, pretty quickly, that her husband knows what he's tallking about.

I have a vague memory of attending a mandatory "garden party" at the Supe's before graduation and taking our hats off for the event.

A quick perusal of AR 670-1, produced several references to not wearing hats at evening social events in certain uniforms.

If the pictures/banquet are outside too, I don't think he should be wearing a hat at either. I don't remember ever sitting down to eat with a hat on in a dress uniform.

• 1 year later...
Guest earnestr35

Nobody mentioned that if you wear "mess dress" for the wedding, no hat is required with this formal uniform, inside or outside!