Menu

Lazy from scratch meals....

Feeling ick- sinus fun for everyone.... So, tonight it is nice and easy....

However, I like whole foods and with our dietary and budget restrictions picking up take-out or cooking from a box isn't an option.

Instead tonight it is:

Roast chicken- Poured over olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper and garlic

Sweet potatoes- I throw them in whole at the same time as the chicken- no prep- when they are done- I squish them out of their skin and mash w/ coco oil, coconut, cinnamon and a bit of honey

Cauliflower,broccoli and sweet peppers- chopped and tossed in olive oil and sea salt put in to roast towards the end of cooking

Hands on time- probably 10 minutes!

What are your lazy but homemade meals?

Feeling ick- sinus fun for everyone.... So, tonight it is nice and easy....

However, I like whole foods and with our dietary and budget restrictions picking up take-out or cooking from a box isn't an option.

Instead tonight it is:

Roast chicken- Poured over olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper and garlic

Sweet potatoes- I throw them in whole at the same time as the chicken- no prep- when they are done- I squish them out of their skin and mash w/ coco oil, coconut, cinnamon and a bit of honey

Cauliflower,broccoli and sweet peppers- chopped and tossed in olive oil and sea salt put in to roast towards the end of cooking

Hands on time- probably 10 minutes!

What are your lazy but homemade meals?

that's your lazy dinner? what do you cook when u are not lazy??

Wow! Good for you! That is NOT what I'd call a lazy meal!

We are eating Cheerios and bananas tonight. ;) My parents get here tomorrow so we've been readying all day. I'm done!

Usually we are a fairly from-scratch family, too, though. Cheerios are a special treat because I usually don't let them eat them for breakfast. I only buy two boxes a month.

Lazy meals for us include:

-scrambled eggs and toast with fruit

-pasta, sauce and veggies

-meatballs, surprisingly- not exactly lazy, but they are comfort food so it's worth it for me

- an assortment of leftovers or whatever I can find in the fridge- cheese and crackers, carrots, toast with peanut butter, yogurt and granola, etc.

um, well, I'm used to cooking so it really doesn't take very long it is just wait time for cooking. As I said 10, maybe 15 min hands on, chopping veggies and cutting the chicken and such. If I was feeling better I would press some fresh garlic and make some spice mix to put on the chicken.

I really wanted to make a nice Indian dish tonight but that requires cutting the chicken into pieces, then all the spices and cutting veggies and such and lots more ingredients. I'm hoping to make a nice big meal tomorrow w/ a nice fruit crisp or something else for dessert. Last night I just made some tomato soup, made from pureed tomatoes and a few spices- another 10 min meal. I wanted to make homemade cheesy bread or crackers but didn't get around to it, Thirty minutes or less of work for me is a lazy/easy meal- it can take me 1-1.5 hrs to make supper sometimes depending on how involved it is or how many things I make and how organized I am.

I haven't felt the best being prego and am just starting to feel normal so it is nice to make some "fancier" meals!

Here is an easy and delicious vegetarian meal.

Boil pasta (we use wholemeal)

Simmer and reduce a can of tomatoes and a can of white beans

Fold in large head of fresh spinach until just wilted

Top with feta cheese at the table.

10 minutes to prep. Very yummy.

Ruth in NZ

When I'm feeling lazy we do:

Roast chicken

Scrambled eggs and Dutch babies (big baked pancake)

Tacos / burritos

spaghetti

hash with either already cooked shredded chicken or ground beef with potatoes (reg or sweet), onions, peppers

Anything in the crockpot-- roast, Greek chicken (chicken, tomatoes, olives, oregano, onion, garlic, feta-- serve over quinia or orzo) , pork cooked in jalapeno jelly, etc

My favorite "I have a crazy day all the way until 7pm" meal is this: I put a few individually frozen boneless chicken breasts (still frozen) in the crock pot with about half a bottle of BBQ sauce and cook it for 6 hours or so. Then I can just throw some baked potatoes in the oven and heat up some frozen corn.

I am also a fan of making french toast or cheese quesadillas on those kind of nights.

Pizza. Can have it made in less than 30 minutes.

Pasta with Red Pesto Sauce or knorr pesto sauce. Sliced tomatoes on the side as a salad.

Chicken sautéed in coconut oil served with roasted sweet potatoes (cook a whole bunch early in the week to have on hand).

Egg (whites only) drop soup and salad.

Black beans on rice. Cook rice on quick cook setting. Sautéed onion in olive oil. Season with Adobo seasoning. Empty two cans of black beans and cook for 10 minutes. Mash half of beans in pan. Thin with 1/4 cup half and half. Serve on rice.

Cook frozen beef separately (lazy started in the morning when I forgot to take it out of the freezer). When almost cooked, throw in some Organic All-Purpose Seasoning (from Costco).

Cook Quinoa (2:1 water)

While these are cooking, wash and chop bell peppers and zucchini and place atop Quinoa when it's nearly done. A couple minutes later throw grape tomatoes on top of other vegs. Turn off and let sit until meat is done.

Toss all together in quinoa pot, mix in feta cheese crumbles. Prep is 15 min.:auto:

Ok, on super lazy/busy nights, eggs and toast, brats and salad.

OP, I like your ckn roast and veggies plan!

Lots of good ideas!

I see other things that we do here as well. I do keep black beans on hand and that and some white rice can be cooked and seasoned in 30 min or less. I do a quick spaghetti sauce w/ brown rice noodles sometimes as well or chili- although I need to can more kidney beans as of right now I have to remember to soak them first.

I've always liked the idea of b-fast for supper but I always cook b-fast so it is like having b-fast 2x a day, plus dh isn't a huge fan.

One my husband came up with recently (because we have lacrosse practice 4 nights a week from 5 to 7:30) is pork chops and rice. He puts both in the pressure cooker with some water, a can of diced tomatoes and seasonings, then cooks it on high pressure for 20 minutes.

I do soups in the pressure cooker, too. Fast and easy, and I can set it all up and come home to a meal that's ready and still hot.

Lazy for me is picking up a rotisserie chicken at Costco and making some rice or instant mashed potatoes to go with it. My kids love it.

But, then, I no longer spend much time cooking anyway. We have too many dietary restrictions for me to enjoy it and I spend too much time homeschooling and running the kids to activities to have much energy for it anymore.

Lisa

Roast chicken is great for lazy nights IF you have one thawed. :D

My go-tos for lazy nights are sausages and sauteed onions with a salad, or chicken tikka masala using Target's Archer Farms brand sauce, which is close enough to primal for my purposes. Much better than takeout!

Quick but nutritious meals:

Fish: I keep tilapia fillets individually frozen, and pull out half a dozen for dinner. Put them in a baking dish, drizzle with olive oil, and either:

--add taco seasoning and have fish tacos

--add crushed garlic, dried onion, s&p, basil, olives, and tomatoes

--add lemon pepper seasoning and chopped fresh or frozen veggies of choice

Cheese quesadillas: I always have tortillas (we use ww/low carb) and shredded cheese on hand. Assemble on cookie sheets and bake for 5-10 minutes. Serve with green, fruit, or bean salad.

Pasta: I always do pasta on Sunday nights. (We use low-carb.) If feeling ambitious, I stir-fry some veggies to serve over it, or make a very quick scratch sauce using garlic, onions, canned tomatoes, frozen chopped bell peppers, s&p, basil, oregano. Sometimes I just use a jarred sauce. Serve with salad.

Soup: I make my own stock once a month and freeze in 3-cup portions. I always have chicken thigh meat in 1-lb portions in the freezer. Every Monday at lunchtime I pull out two or three portions of stock and make soup with whatever veggies are on hand, plus the chicken and a can of beans. S&p to taste. If I do this at lunchtime it can simmer for a while. The simmering plus the homemade stock make this delicious.

Chicken: Dice 6 potatoes, toss with olive oil, crushed garlic, s&p, dried parsley or rosemary. Add diced chicken (raw or cooked from the freezer). Cover and bake till potatoes are done. Uncover for last 15 minutes to brown a little.

Edited by Amy in TX

Pasta with fake sauce--i.e. stirfried veggies that are around, plus maybe a chicken apple sausage or two, in olive oil, cut in a little cream cheese, sprinkle with garlic powder, when the pasta is cooked pour it over the 'sauce' and toss. The cream cheese partially melts in, and the whole thing is well balanced and very tasty. A green salad on the side is great if you're feeling ambitious.

Oh salmon is another good one for a quick meal! We have awesome frozen salmon at my grocery store. As long as I remember to defrost it, it only takes 15 minutes to cook. I preheat the baking dish in the oven with half a stick of butter at 400. Drop the (large) salmon fillet in and it's done in 15 minutes. Perfect with a baked potato and frozen vegetable like peas.

Pizza is also quick ~ I make double the dough and sauce when I make it and freeze half.

The fastest think I made this past week was taco lettuce wraps. Wrap spiced black beans in lettuce leaves with all the taco fixings inside. Dinner took 5 minutes to prepare since I had beans in the freezer and thawed them earlier in the day.

Another is hard boiled eggs and toast. I keep hard boiled eggs on hand so I shell the eggs while the toast is in the oven. Takes less than 10 minutes for dinner even if one throw together some salad of spring mix, apple slices and chopped pecans.

Oh, and tonight's dinner will be another five minute meal. Caesar salad and leftovers. We have enough left overs that everyone can pick something and augment it with salad.

ETA one more: This one requires about 12 minutes. Boil water for quick cooking pasta like angle hair. In a skillet saute until crisp tender a bag or two of frozen mixed veg like California blend. Season with salt, pepper and a bit of basil. Toss with pasta.

You'll note there is no meat involved in any of these meals. ;)

Edited by Parrothead