Menu

Age for Dracula and Frankenstein

I have never read either of these books, but my 10 year old wants me to read them to him, or listen to them on CD in our van. (Thanks to the many quotes in MCT's Caesar's English 1!)

He's not especially squeamish or easily scared. I'm under the impression that there's quite a bit of 'lustful desire' in Dracula, and that would not be well received.

Thoughts?

I dunno. I'd wait for Dracula. It isn't the "lustful desire" stuff (which isn't through the whole book, and nothing lustful ever actually happens), but it's pretty intense in parts.

I was in high school when I read Frankenstein, but I think a 10yo with a big vocabulary could read it.

I never read Dracula, but I think we read Frankenstein when my kids were in 8th/9th grade or so. I don't think it has anything in it that is gross or squeamish, but it has themes that are deeper that a younger child would probably not pick up on.

Dracula is Not that bad. On the Vampire fiction scale really mild. That being said neither of mine --12 and13 have read it. Both wanted to when they were your sons age. DH said no-- I reread it -- but they haven't asked again. They haven't read other vampire fiction either! Just Bunnicula!

Thanks everyone.

We'll start with listening to Frankenstein and go from there. It's sometimes tough to find books for him, so I don't want to quash any of his suggestions.

They haven't read other vampire fiction either! Just Bunnicula!

We love Bunnicula!!! We listened to the entire series while on a road trip one summer.

Are you opposed to abridged versions? My 12 year old is reading the 'Junior Classics' version of Frankenstein right now and enjoying it.

I'm on the fence about abridged versions, and I'm not entirely sure why!

I'd let him read them if he wanted to. I actually remember that my older son loved the abridged versions of Three Musketeers, Treasure Island and Count of Monte Cristo. He read those around age 9, I think.

There's a lot of unnecessary verbiage in both books, so for a younger reader, I would think an abridged version would be the way to go.

My daughter found Dracula to be a lot more interesting than Frankenstein (we read the originals of both). There's a lot of mention of lust in Dracula, but it doesn't actually go anywhere. There are also some intense descriptions of killing dead bodies. But Frankenstein, while it may rate as more of a "classic", is a lot more deadly dull.

In fact, I think an abridgement of Frankenstein would be appreciated by any reader. I have a VERY high tolerance for wordy novels, but Frankenstein was just over the top. The story itself is fascinating, the themes discussed are worthwhile, the better movie adaptations are well worth watching, but the book itself just drowns in words to the point where it obscures most of the good things that are in there.

You might try Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde for a somewhat similar theme. It's a lot shorter and more readable.

I'd be fine with both of them for a 10 yo. I was so disappointed when I finally got around to Dracula. Then again, I'd already read lots of Anne Rice by then and Dracula was so tame and Victorian in comparison. :) Frankstein is sad, but good. I will be reading it aloud this summer.