Menu

Where do you put your hands on the steering wheel?

I spent a few weeks driving with a professional driving instructor last summer. I needed to get a UK manual license. It is definately someplace in the 2/10 or 3/9 range for safety. I learned lots and after I broke the hand crossing habit actually enjoyed myself!

I usually have my hands a 4 and 8.

Our local news ran a piece on hand placement a couple of weeks ago. The driver's ed courses in our state will be changing to discourage the traditional "10 & 2" placement. It seems that airbags have led to unnecessarily severe hand injuries when hands are in this position. The injuries have happened even in minor accidents.

Our local news ran a piece on hand placement a couple of weeks ago. The driver's ed courses in our state will be changing to discourage the traditional "10 & 2" placement. It seems that airbags have led to unnecessarily severe hand injuries when hands are in this position. The injuries have happened even in minor accidents.

I hold my hands lower for this reason, my best friend in high scho was in a wreck in high school and her airbag would have pushed her hands into her cheek bones had she had her hands at 10&2.

If you want to see some graphic examples, google degloving. It's pretty much how it sounds, but instead of gloves, it's your skin. :001_huh:

I'm making a real effort to move from 10 and 2 to 8 and 4, but old habits die hard.

Ds recently finished driver's ed and was telling us about this new recommendation. I try to hold the steering wheel lower but honestly, I mostly find myself holding it at 1-2 and 8. For some reason it's most comfortable for me. I'll catch myself and move my right hand lower, but if I'm not paying attention my right hand will be at 1.

I've been driving since 1970, so 10 and 2 is ingrained in me. I also find it comfortable. I've been making an effort to change that, but I find my hands migrating back to 10 and 2. I'll just keep trying and hope the change sticks with me.

Ds is taking Driver's Ed online at FLVS (no driving - it's meant to prepare him to take the test for his learner's permit) and they are teaching 4 and 8.

The problem with 4 and 8 is that there is less leverage to control the car in sudden situations. For casual driving, I am probably at 9/3, but for higher speed driving (highways), I am at 10/2. I have better control of the car, especially against the wind along the plains or from the draft of passing trucks. Yes, the airbags can cause injury. However, I am in the camp of preventing the accident in the first place. The drivers' ed courses around here still teach 10/2 or 9/3 for that reason.

My hands are lower for this reason too.

The problem with 4 and 8 is that there is less leverage to control the car in sudden situations. For casual driving, I am probably at 9/3, but for higher speed driving (highways), I am at 10/2. I have better control of the car, especially against the wind along the plains or from the draft of passing trucks. Yes, the airbags can cause injury. However, I am in the camp of preventing the accident in the first place. The drivers' ed courses around here still teach 10/2 or 9/3 for that reason.

:iagree: My daughter was in an airbag deployed accident and it bruised the back of her forearm a little but it wasn't a big deal.

I drive a big old cast iron Suburban that doesn't have airbags so I stick with what I learned in driver's ed and what is most comfortable - 10 and 2.

:iagree: If I hold the car at 4 and 8, I feel like I'm going to lose control of it.