Menu

Never again - why didn't this work?

Ok, I needed to clear my shelves to make room for new materials. I didn't want to hassle with trying to post things for sale, package, drive to post office, ship, etc. I also really didn't want to make the effort to sell locally as it can be a hassle to time when/where to meet. I wanted to make it easy on ME. :)

So, I decided to help out other local homeschooling families and offer everything for free. I posted what I had available on a local homeschool e-mail loop, gave a general location of where I lived, and asked folks to please plan to come by during a 3-hour window on the one morning that I could be home to pass things out. This was all spelled out in the original posting.

Everything was "claimed" via e-mail very quickly. However, not a single person came by during my 3-hour availability. A few folks asked to come by sooner so I had their items wrapped in plastic or placed in a cooler to protect from the weather (lots of rain here recently) and placed them outside the door when I wasn't home. Most folks haven't bothered to come by at all or let me know that they weren't coming.

I won't be doing this again. I'll either throw things away or send them to Goodwill. I still can't figure out why someone would e-mail that they wanted something (for FREE) and then inconvenience the person offering it by not coming to get it.

Pegasus

Because people don't value things that are free. They have nothing to loose by not showing up.

It's the same reason why I charge a fee for all field trips I organize even if the venue doesn't charge a fee. You let the venue know that you have 50 people committed so they schedule extra volunteers. Then, because they have nothing to loose, 30 people decide to skip it. You are left embarrassed and apologizing for the group; and they have a bad impression of homeschoolers. So, I charge to give people some sense of commitment. Then I donate the money I collected. Now the venue has a better opinion of the homeschool group; they showed up and donated to the cause.

Edited by joannqn

I offered a barely used crib mattress for free on a local homeschooling message board and included pictures. I got multiple requests for additional pics, additional description, drop off at their house, etc.

Really? I mean, I'm offering it for free! I'm not willing to take more pictures or anything else!

Why not post them here free for shipping? Or send them to The Book Samaritan, to help other needy hs families?

I hear ya on the local hs'ers flaking - it has happened to me many many times.

free for shipping is a lot of work too, though. You still have to package it and get it to the post office. You just do all that for free...

BTDT!

I once learned that there at least half a dozen homeschooling Moms in my county who would really like a stranger on the internet to personally deliver free curriculum to their home and see nothing unusual about expecting that!

I did drive 5 miles to meet a lady and hand it over to her, three days after she agreed to come here and pick it up.

I did it because her sob story (about why I should bring the books to her) was amazing acting, but I knew she'd never have a chance to win an Oscar. So I awarded her some math books.

I would have had a "free" garage sale. Tell them you will have stuff that you origianlly paid X price for to give away for free and give a general age/grade range, but they have to come in your window of time to *find out what it is* and to leave with it. That way they will come in order not to miss out on some good deal, but you get them to leave with the stuff.

Just an idea.

I would have had a "free" garage sale. Tell them you will have stuff that you origianlly paid X price for to give away for free and give a general age/grade range, but they have to come in your window of time to *find out what it is* and to leave with it. That way they will come in order not to miss out on some good deal, but you get them to leave with the stuff.

Just an idea.

This is brilliant. Do you have marketing experience? :D

It's comforting to read that others have had similar experiences. I should have gotten some feedback on my idea BEFORE I went forward with it. Ya'll could have warned me ahead of time. :lol:

Pegasus

Another idea is what the local HS group does {but it's open to all HS'ers in the area, not just members} - they do a twice a year blessings bash at a local park. Everyone brings stuff - clothes, furniture, household, books, textbooks and even toys. Everything is laid out on tarps in a parking lot before they start, and then people can start going through stuff after they open {normally in prayer :glare:}

It works really really well IMO

Another idea. Our local library has periodic book sales to raise money. It is from donated books and library books they are getting rid of. They often have the books organized - children, mysteries, crafts, etc. One group is sometimes 'maybe of interest to homeschoolers' So donating the leftovers to the library might also accomplish what you want.

Because people don't value things that are free. They have nothing to loose by not showing up.

It's the same reason why I charge a fee for all field trips I organize even if the venue doesn't charge a fee. You let the venue know that you have 50 people committed so they schedule extra volunteers. Then, because they have nothing to loose, 30 people decide to skip it. You are left embarrassed and apologizing for the group; and they have a bad impression of homeschoolers. So, I charge to give people some sense of commitment. Then I donate the money I collected. Now the venue has a better opinion of the homeschool group; they showed up and donated to the cause.

Super great idea!

First come first serve, people like to get something that someone else isn't. Try a list of what you have and on X day at X time you will be at such and such grocery store parking lot for 30 min only. Make sure it is one with a good will drop off so after the 30 min drop it whatever you still have at goodwill. Done!

People are a pain, better to just clear the stuff and move on. :grouphug:

Ok, I needed to clear my shelves to make room for new materials. I didn't want to hassle with trying to post things for sale, package, drive to post office, ship, etc. I also really didn't want to make the effort to sell locally as it can be a hassle to time when/where to meet. I wanted to make it easy on ME. :)

So, I decided to help out other local homeschooling families and offer everything for free. I posted what I had available on a local homeschool e-mail loop, gave a general location of where I lived, and asked folks to please plan to come by during a 3-hour window on the one morning that I could be home to pass things out. This was all spelled out in the original posting.

Everything was "claimed" via e-mail very quickly. However, not a single person came by during my 3-hour availability. A few folks asked to come by sooner so I had their items wrapped in plastic or placed in a cooler to protect from the weather (lots of rain here recently) and placed them outside the door when I wasn't home. Most folks haven't bothered to come by at all or let me know that they weren't coming.

I won't be doing this again. I'll either throw things away or send them to Goodwill. I still can't figure out why someone would e-mail that they wanted something (for FREE) and then inconvenience the person offering it by not coming to get it.

Pegasus

:grouphug:

Sorry they were turds.

That is awful. I ALWAYS show up unless some emergency arises. For one thing, I WANT the item!

I have taken to just sticking things on the front porch. If you haven't shown up by the end of the day, it goes to person #2 unless you have emailed me in the right amount of time and given me a reason and an alternative time.

Dawn

I did it because her sob story (about why I should bring the books to her) was amazing acting, but I knew she'd never have a chance to win an Oscar. So I awarded her some math books.

:lol:

I think a Craigslist ad of:

"I am leaving a huge bag of free homeschool materials on the curb at X address, first one who gets here can have the entire bag"

would work....and you could watch from your window in hiding and giggle as you watch some of these same people rush to your house to get to it first! :D

Yep, that used to happen ALL of the time on Freecycle. It's why I finally quit participating with Freecycle. Don't even know if it's still the big thing it used to be:confused:

Heck, it's happened to things I was selling.....homeschoolers can be SUCH flakes. I can say that, cuz I'm a homeschooler, lol!