Menu

CLE Math users....do you tweak?

MamaHappy

For those of you who use CLE Math, do you do the lessons as written or do you change things up at all? How do you make it work for you? I'm just wondering because it seems like the lessons could get pretty long if you do everything listed.

I really like the looks of CLE, but I don't want math to take forever!

Thanks!

I bought the flash cards but haven't used them so far. Will likely do so in the future just to keep up a review as we move on, but this is also something we can review casually through the day, in the car, etc.

Now that my son has his add/subtract facts, we don't do all that single digit practice in the lesson. We also don't do the speed drills and tests because he doesn't need them and they end up being another lesson. That might change as we go higher up.

We do do the counting book, mainly to practice writing numbers (!) and also because I think it's useful.

We are really likely this curriculum and plan to continue using it. I only bought a few books in the beginning to see how it would go, so that's one option for you to try before you totally commit!

My kindergartener does CLE 100. Most of the time one lesson per day unless she is having an "off" day in which case I cut it in half.

My 4th grader does the full lesson every day but sometimes I have him do some of the problems orally since writing gets frustrating for him.

We started out doing the speed drills and flash cards in 100 but after we got through with the facts up to 10, we stopped, for two reasons: 1) my dd became frustrated with the drills since she was expected to know the facts above 10 so quickly, and 2) we are also using Singapore and I wanted to give my dd time to learn the strategies for figuring out facts above 10 without memorizing them.

I do think there is already more than enough fact practice in the lesson itself without adding in the flashcards and speed drills. I do think the flashcards and drills were helpful for cementing the facts up to 10, however.

Kathy

We just don't write out the numbers .... Ie,

They want you to write 51-56

My son is still struggling with writing so this makes math much longer and painful than it needs to be. I do pretty much everything else they tell me to do. I really enjoy the variety in the lessons. They do not stick on one thing for long.

yes, i tweak (especially with my little boy). with my daughter, i do not incorporate any of the drills. if there is an enormous amount of problems that i am confident she knows, i will cross some out. normally though, i just skip drills & she has 4 pages of math per day with each lesson.

with my son, i do not do the drills & i also do about 1/2 of his work orally (i.e. i just write the answers for him & he tells me what to put). when he gets in the 3rd grade book, i will have him write most of his answers, but i will still be available to help him stay focused and on track.

with both children, i do not incorporate the flashcards until multiplication, and even then, we follow our own schedule and not the one listed in the lessons.

Edited by mytwomonkeys

No tweaking here. We occasionally skip flash cards, but not often. The only reason it takes ds almost an hour is because he is constantly arguing with his sisters, distracted by something he HAS to tell me, or sliding down his chair onto the floor. It should take about 30 minutes.....if only he would realize that! We have used CLE for 1-3 and he has done really well with it. I see no reason to look elsewhere:)

I usually let my kids skip a few problems that they have already mastered.

Sometimes (rarely) I will teach a concept differently. One that comes to mind is converting units, (for instance from seconds to minutes or hours). I can't remember how they wanted me to teach it but my way was easier.

I also use a different timed drill sheet than the one they have in the back of the LU -- it is longer than the one CLE uses but less intimidating for reasons unknown. We do use CLE flash cards.

I tweak it. Both of my kids excell in math and understand it with little help. They can open the CLE books, read and get it.

We do not do flash cards. I have one half way through 300 and one almost to 200.

We do not do the drills at all. I sometimes skip the quiz but we always test. Once a lesson has been learned and I see it is mastered they go to "the highlighter game". They do not need 25 addition questions to go over each day etc... so the items that are repeated I select about half of them to do and highlight them. They know to only do the yellow parts when they see it.

Now CLE Grammar, for my oldest, he has to have all the review. I am always looking to change it from CLE to something else but yet to find a spiral that fits.