Menu

Is this wrong?

Unemployed WWYD?  

1. 1. Unemployed WWYD?

• Go ahead and take unemployment for a little while, but keep an eye out for a good job
    • Start looking HARD for a new job NOW
    • Sign on with a temp agency OR go back to grocery (uuuggghhh)
    • Other ideas?

As you may have read in another thread, I am losing my job. As I look at it, there are a few options at this point... I put them in the accompanying poll.

My dh is leaning toward me taking some time on unemployment. We know that finances will be tighter, but I haven't stayed home with the kids except for 5 months after ds's birth, and then 6 months after dd's. While I know I would love that time, I also feel a little guilty even considering it! I've been employed since the age of 13, and I turn 40 this year, so that's roughly 27 years of employment. Dh is also willing to look into getting more hours/a raise, and perhaps a secondary job.

Opinions please? What would YOU do?

ETA: I need to clarify something... yes, I would be looking for a job while on unemployment IF I choose to go that route. It would just allow me a chance to look for something I would enjoy, while allowing me a break with the kids. I have no intention of living off the system without doing the right thing.

Edited by momto2Cs

I understand your wanting to be home with the kids. Could you do that by working from home or babysitting or something? Do you have any fat you can cut from your budget to allow your family to stay afloat on one salary? If you can swing staying at home without being on unemployment, I say go for it. If you need unemployment because you can't find a job, that is understandable. I wouldn't feel right taking unemployment if I knew I really wasn't planning on taking a job for a while. From your post, you sound like you feel the same way. Good luck in this tough time.

Based on the situation you described in your previous thread (being laid off through no fault of your own), you are exactly the type of person unemployment is intended for.

One of the requirements for receiving unemployment is that you actively look for work while you're receiving unemployment benefits. You have to apply for a certain number of jobs per week (and provide proof that you've applied for those jobs). So as long as you're meeting those requirements, there's nothing wrong with receiving unemployment benefits.

Good luck on your job search!

I don't know the job market in your part of the country, or how marketable your skills are, etc. but the longer you remain unemployed, the harder (statistically) it is for you to find employment down the road.

Now, if your family can make it on just your DH's salary, IF the extra income comes through (either through more hours or a raise), IF it will be better in the long run for your DH to work 2 outside-the-home jobs rather than he work one and you work one --- then sure, take the unemployment and stay home.

But if you guys will need for you to work, I'd start looking asap.

I'd weigh not just the money, but also the time. Right now, unless you & your DH work opposite shifts, you all have time when you see each other and are together as a family, right? If your DH takes on extra hours at his current job or seeks a 2nd job (neither of which would I count on as guarantees in the US's current economic state), that's more hours he's away from home and you'll be sort of single-parenting.

Would you rather continue with the sort of arrangement you have now or would you rather your DH be gone until after the kids are in bed? or right up until bedtime? Or will he not need that many extra hours to make up your lost income?

These are the things I would think about if it were me; I'm not asking you to answer these questions here to all of us, just thinking through what *I* would evaluate if it were me.

I know it's very tempting to just stay home and take the unemployment, and the unemployment can certainly last a nice long time, but with various family members on it right now doing the whole "just going to take a bit of time....." -- they have both wound up reaching & nearly reaching the utmost end of unemployment and suddenly desperation sets in as they realize "Wait! I still don't have a job!" and then it's just that much harder to find something. So, I'd really be inclined to do almost anything else but rely on unemployment without actively looking for something else.

As you may have read in another thread, I am losing my job. As I look at it, there are a few options at this point... I put them in the accompanying poll.

My dh is leaning toward me taking some time on unemployment. We know that finances will be tighter, but I haven't stayed home with the kids except for 5 months after ds's birth, and then 6 months after dd's. While I know I would love that time, I also feel a little guilty even considering it! I've been employed since the age of 13, and I turn 40 this year, so that's roughly 27 years of employment. Dh is also willing to look into getting more hours/a raise, and perhaps a secondary job.

Opinions please? What would YOU do?

You should immediately apply for unemployment. You do not know how long it will take to find a new job. Many people (not here, out irl) complain that unemployment is a handout but it isn't, it is an insurance system that you have been paying into for 27 years!

You can legitimately look for work and also take the opportunity to connect with the kiddos.

I agree that it's not right (and probably not legal) to take unemployment if you are not actively job-seeking. It sounds like you should look for a way to work from home or work fewer hours. I'm sure you could get some ideas here. :grouphug:

Wendi

You should immediately apply for unemployment. You do not know how long it will take to find a new job. Many people (not here, out irl) complain that unemployment is a handout but it isn't, it is an insurance system that you have been paying into for 27 years! (Emphasis mine)

You can legitimately look for work and also take the opportunity to connect with the kiddos.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Unemployment benefits are a legitimate source of income for a temporary amount of time. You paid into the system for years and have every right to use it. It isn't a handout from the government, it's a system that you've contributed to should you need it through an unplanned, unexpected job loss... Use it while you have the chance and enjoy your time with the kids while you search for the right job. Use it and don't feel guilty!

Blessings,

Lucinda

I agree that it is an insurance program you have paid into and deserve to use guilt free if you otherwise qualify. It sounds like the reason for your unemployment will qualify. However, I believe there are rules about having to be actively seeking employment. I think it's fraudulent to collect benefits but not actively seek future employment.

I agree that it is an insurance program you have paid into and deserve to use guilt free if you otherwise qualify. It sounds like the reason for your unemployment will qualify. However, I believe there are rules about having to be actively seeking employment. I think it's fraudulent to collect benefits but not actively seek future employment.

I should have made it clearer that yes, I will continue to look for work IF I do decide to go on unemployment. I have no intent of milking the system unfairly.

I voted to look hard now. I think if you plan on re-entering the work force you need to be looking right away. I have a friend who just cannot find anything and like someone else said, the longer she waits, the harder it gets and unemployment is about to run out.

You should immediately apply for unemployment. You do not know how long it will take to find a new job. Many people (not here, out irl) complain that unemployment is a handout but it isn't, it is an insurance system that you have been paying into for 27 years!

:iagree:

There's no great moral dilemma here. Just a system you've been contributing to for a long time and now have a need to use.

Something to consider: The job market is tough for job-seekers right now. The longer you are out of work, the harder it can be to get hired. (There was an article in our newspaper about this not long ago.)

I'd start looking hard now. Collect unemployment if needed when your job ends, and keep looking. Don't feel the least bit guilty about collecting unemployment or enjoying the time that you get with your children. But, in your shoes, I wouldn't wait until the current job ends to start looking for a new one.

:grouphug: Sorry about your job.

Cat