Menu

Science Degrees People

I was wondering how necessary is it to *like* Math if you want a degree in Science? I know it varies by what kind of Science.

I'm interested in Environmental Science, but it would probably do no good if I have to do extensive Math. Algebra had me basically lost when I went to school, but I would definitely get myself a program to use and re-learn before I take the college course.

:bigear:

For ds's chemistry degree, he needed up through college calculus 2.

I would be there are various programs out there that have different levels of math course requirements. Sometime trade schools have more content appropriate classes (instead of going for a college degree which may a mix of disciplines/departments)

Maybe you could get a college catalog from a school that offers a degree in environmental science and look at the requirements. That might give you an idea.

I like science and was certified to teach it at the high school level. I would say I do like math. However, I was terrible at calculus. At the college I attended (in the '80s), and it was a selective one, the only math I had to take for a geology major was calculus, and I would have had to take that anyway, even if I had chosen to major in literature. For a psychology major, I had to take statistics.

Hope that helps.

Maybe you could get a college catalog from a school that offers a degree in environmental science and look at the requirements. That might give you an idea.

This is a good idea. My chemistry degree from a research-heavy university required quite a lot of higher math. Other places might not require so much. Do you have to *like* it? No. But you'll probably have to be able to *do* it ;)

I have found in most science related career areas (esp related more into getting into that certain college, and being able to do justice to it) that Science & Maths tend to go hand in hand. You don't have to "like" it, but you have to be adequately able.

But for some science areas, a lot of leeway is given, it really depends upon the course taken. Hopefully some others can chime in for your given field.

This is a good idea. My chemistry degree from a research-heavy university required quite a lot of higher math. Other places might not require so much. Do you have to *like* it? No. But you'll probably have to be able to *do* it ;)

:iagree:

I liked math until calculus, then I just didn't get it anymore. My brain is wired calculus-resistant, or something. I took first-year calculus once in high school and again in college and still only got a C the second time. Luckily, first year calculus was all I needed for my geology-chemistry degree. :001_smile:

DH never finished his chemistry degree, but would have needed several years of calculus for that. His forestry degree just needed precalculus and stuff like statistics.

you do not need to like math, but you need to do it and be good at it.

Physics requires three semesters of calculus, ordinary differential equations, partial differential equations, and linear algebra.

At our school:

Chemistry requires three semesters of calculus plus statistics.

Biology majors have to take college algebra and statistics, but most take calculus anyway to be competetive.

Keep in mind that for many science degrees, graduate school is necessary.

ETA: our school offers environmental engineering (not env science); they require three semesters of calc + diff eq.

Edited by regentrude

It is always easier to do something if you like it. You can learn higher math regardless, but it will be harder if you don't enjoy it.

If you were to take a placement test for a homeschool math program and work your way through to the level where you were comfortable with foundational math, you may have a much more positive experience with math.

My brother is a CS major and never had a problem with math until he got to linear algebra in college. My mom was so funny: "He did Calculus in high school without any problems." "Yeah mom, this is harder than calculus." "Oh I didn't know there was a math that was harder than calculus." :lol:

Anyways, the point of all this: he said that he would watch the Khan Academy videos to help him with the linear algebra. Maybe they would work for some of the other subjects too. I'm planning on using them (and Life of Fred) to get a better understanding of higher level math.

It is always easier to do something if you like it. You can learn higher math regardless, but it will be harder if you don't enjoy it.

If you were to take a placement test for a homeschool math program and work your way through to the level where you were comfortable with foundational math, you may have a much more positive experience with math.

Do you have a homeschool program placement test that you would recommend for me to take?

Do you have to LIKE a hammer and saw to be a carpenter? No, but you better be willing to spend untold hours learning how to use them! Same with math and science -- unless you are going to be a mathematician, math is a tool used to solve scientific problems. But it is also the LANGUAGE science is written in, so you have to be able to read/write in it.

That said, my eldest is very good at math, but doesn't LOVE it -- to her it is just a tool. She will be adept at using the tool, but never find great joy in welding it. That's ok. It means unless that changes, she probably won't become a mathematician or physicist, but she could become an MD or research scientist in another field that was more experimental and less computational. ;)

I think the pp suggestion of looking thru a college catalog is an excellent suggestion. I'd also consider a book like Zaccaro's Real World Algebra to brush us your algebra skills. Algebra is a very powerful toolbox, but it is often taught poorly in school by teachers who barely understand it themselves. You might find that you actually LIKE it now. Maybe read up on the history of algebra a bit -- for some folks that may make it seem more meaningful.

You want to master algebra before moving on to calculus, which is just another toolbox. Add statistics, and you will have all the math tools you need to excel.

Good luck!

Thanks for all the replies, they're very helpful.

So I looked at the college I'm considering and they only offer an Associates in Environmental Studies (this would be completely online, which is what I need at this time in my life). Their general requirements for Math are College Algebra OR Finite Mathematics AND Precalculus.

I don't even know what Finite Mathematics is :lol: So I think I'll go with Algebra. Does anyone have a recommendation for a book on Algebra that I can work through before I attempt this course?

You do need to check out the requirements at the school you want to attend. the one I looked at very fast, had chem, bio, engineering (fairly basic), LOTS of geology - you get the picture - as part of the enviro science program. expect it to require through calculus as a basic math requirement so that you can follow the science classes. oh, the program I glanced at also required organic chemistry 1 - so if you don't like math, you'll hate orgo.

My dd has a BA in chem, with a minor in bio. she also had to do calculus based physics as part of her chem degree. she was much happier with her bio classes.

So I looked at the college I'm considering and they only offer an Associates in Environmental Studies (this would be completely online, which is what I need at this time in my life). Their general requirements for Math are College Algebra OR Finite Mathematics AND Precalculus.

I don't even know what Finite Mathematics is :lol: So I think I'll go with Algebra. Does anyone have a recommendation for a book on Algebra that I can work through before I attempt this course?

algebra for dummies (yes, I'm serious)

or life of fred algebra

Even though I could do math adequately in high school, it was my least favorite subject. Later, after getting my undergrad (kinesiology and teaching cert. in biology), I went back to school and took more chemistry, statistics, and some other higher level science courses. What I found out is that I actually really enjoyed the math involved in chemistry and statistics because I could see the reasoning behind it. It was math actually being applied instead of just a bunch of meaningless numbers and letters.

When I took my GRE recently, I actually scored in the "engineering" range on the math portion and significantly higher than my English scores - which surprised me because I am usually stronger in language arts.

Maybe you will like it more if it means something?

My degree is in Physics and I needed three semesters of calculus, two semesters of Differential Equations and a few other random math courses that I don't remember. (Stats, Linear Algebra, and Chaos Theory though I think that was an elective.) I wouldn't say I loved math, but it wasn't difficult for me.

I would like to add......just because you may not have done well in math in your own schooling (however long ago that may have been).... you might be surprised to find that now, as an adult, you comprehend it a little better then in high school.

I was always told that I was bad in math (thanks ma!)....I managed to pass, but never excelled. Now I find math enjoyable and fun! I get the concepts a lot better and enjoy working way ahead of my kids....I can't wait to get to calculus!

I think, too often, we cubbyhole ourselves into who we were as a young person and fail to allow ourselves to mature. I grasp concepts much better at 50 than I ever did at 25. I don't think our mental development should ever be shut off.

So, my words of wisdom...... "Try it...you may find that you like it". :D

Do you have a homeschool program placement test that you would recommend for me to take?

There are placement tests for just about all of the major math programs - CLE, Saxon, Singapore, TT, etc. Pick any of them (or several), and then start the program where you are placed. It would be the most cost effective way to fill any gaps that you have, and would be a huge confidence-builder to know that you have a good foundation when you start taking harder courses. With a solid foundation, college courses should not be a problem.

I'd encourage you to get onto khanacademy.org

Make an account and start the practice problems in their knowledge web from the very beginning. Yes, you will start with addition, but it moves very quickly. When you get to a set of problems you do not understand, watch the khan academy videos. This is an excellent resource to find gaps in ones knowledge base. And it provides the resources to fill in those gaps. Good luck in your pursuits.

I would not be afraid of finite math because you've never heard of it. :-D It's easier than algebra. Though I'm not sure if PreCalc or College Algebra is easier. I second the idea of working through a homeschool math program on your own - you can probably get through PreCalc that way in a more cost-effective way. If the school won't let you "test out" of their math, it will feel very comfortable for you having already covered the material! I know quite a few adults who struggled with math in highschool, but then it "clicked" and they enjoyed it when they try again as adults. I would try to set aside your prior experiences and see what you can do now as an adult with a goal in mind and a better understanding of WHY you are learning this math stuff.

Keep in mind there is the math that is required for your degree and then the math that you will actually use in the field. (sorry, but this is true).

I don't know the degree requirements for Environmental science, but to understand the research in that field you need statistics not calculus. You will need a basic statistics course, and classes in nonparametric statistics, t-test/ANOVA, regression, and time series analysis. These classes are based on Algebra 1 (possibly some algebra 2 but no trig or calc). Not sure what you plan to do with your degree, but in my experience, it is virtually impossible to understand environmental science policy reports/journal articles without knowledge of statistics.

Some people who struggle with the Calculus path do very well with Statistics. I personally love statistics. Since it was not a degree requirement for me, I audited most of the stats courses that I took. Gave me the knowledge I needed without all the stress. Statistics is a way of thinking about the world and is incredibly useful.

Ruth in NZ

I would like to add......just because you may not have done well in math in your own schooling (however long ago that may have been).... you might be surprised to find that now, as an adult, you comprehend it a little better then in high school.

:iagree: This happened to me.