Menu

Knitting Needle Suggestions

I learned to knit 2 years ago (almost exactly, actually) but only have a few sets of needles. I would knit more if I had more needle variety. I have been searching on Amazon, but I don't know which set I should buy. I don't want to spend too much, though. I found these but I don't know if 9'' is too short. I want to be able to use the needles for a variety of projects, so if that is too short for a lot of projects, it'd be a waste.

I have one set of circular needles that I've tried but never actually used. I don't know the size (too lazy to dig them out and measure) but I thought they were dysfunctional because the cable wouldn't uncoil. I found online to put them in hot water for a few minutes to loosen the coils, so I'd like to trying knitting in the round so I can make more things. The round needles I have though are pretty thick so difficult for a newbie to use.

What length would you recommend for straight and circular needles? I don't have money to spend like this often, so I really prefer they be quite versatile for all projects. Do you have a specific recommendation? Thanks.

My favorite brand needles are my Addi turbos. I find that I use them for everything- even flat knitting. I have extra long cables for when knitting large things like Afghans. Using cables for flat knitting is easier on my hands- it requires less wrist motion and the weight of the project is not on my hands or wrists.

I also have a set of Knitpicks needles that I got years back. They work well and are nice and pointy for lace knitting. I have found that the cables aren't quite as flexible as the Addis.

Personally I would not buy the set you linked to. If you don't have a strong preference yet don't buy a kit at all- buy one or two different sizes and different types and see what you like to knit with. You don't want to be stuck with a set of needles you hate.

Knitters tend to get passionate about bamboo versus metal- long versus short, cable versus double pointed. But really, it's just personal preference.

I personally prefer Knit Picks Harmony needles. They're pricey, though. I don't own every single one, though. Actually, I've mostly collected their double-pointed needles over the years. But I was going to recommend their circular needles for you. They come with the needle tips and cables separate so you'd have to order both items. I would start with the needle tip size(s) that you'd use most. And that would depend on what you knit most and how loosely or tightly you knit. The cables are very flexible which makes these needles very versatile. You can knit flat or in-the-round.

I personally think 9" straights are too short unless you're only knitting dishcloths or scarves.

For a cheaper option you might try getting needles at Joann or Michaels using the discount coupons.

I honestly do not use straight needles anymore. I just do not like them. You can work flat on circular needles as well as in the round, so they are more multipurpose.

As far as the coils...you have to get good needles. Cheaper needles always have crappy cables. I wish I had been told that when I started out. I invested in a ton of cheap needles in the beginning because the big box stores do not sell the nice needles and I didnt know better. Then someone showed me an Addi Turbo needle. I am now in the slow process of changing out my cheap needles for Addis. They are nice, the cables do not get all stiff, and the join between the cable and the needle is smooth.

As far as sizes...0-3 is mainly used for very fine yarn like what you make socks with, 3-7ish is for your DK-worsted-slightly chunky yarns. You would need that for sweaters, scarves, hats, pot holders etc. 8-13 is your really chunky yarns. These are for chunky knit sweaters, hats, scarves etc.

For the cable length that depends on what you are doing. For hats you want a 16" cable, for larger things or things worked flat you may want a longer cable such as 24" or more. If you are doing the magic loop, you will want a 32" or more. If you are knitting two socks on two circular needles, you will need two needles of the same size and a longer length such as the 32". I prefer to use a 24" and a 32" when doing this method, it makes it easier to differentiate between the two needles.

:iagree:I really like knitplcks. They have metal points but I prefer the wooden ones-- maybe they are bamboo. The cables don't twist when I knit.

I have never tried the other brand.

I would try both then get more. This is a purchase that you can use for year!

I love, love, love my knitpicks! I have both the wood (harmony) and the nickel plated ones. I don't think I could chose which one I like better though. :001_smile: They harmony needles are made of birch and are much smoother than bamboo needles, which I like. But the nickel needles are really nice too, and faster...kind of like knitting with butter. lol :D

Do you know if you prefer wood, metal, or plastic? They have a sample pack you can buy, that gives you one of each to try out. I think its only about $20 for the 3 needles and cables. Maybe you can do that? OR, if you have a local yarn shop that sells them, you can actually go and try them out before buying anything?

Addi Turbos are the best needles I have tried, and I use them for straight knitting most of the time. I also have some wooden needles that are absolutely silken in finish for straight work on fat needles--I think they are by Lantern Moon. But most of the time I just use the AT's. The joins are smooth, the cables don't coil, and they are smooth and fast. Plus if you buy long ones (40" and up) you can use them for mobius knitting as well.

I really, really love my KnitPicks interchangeables. I have the Harmony wood ones and love them, but some people really prefer the acrylic or metal ones. I use those needles for all knitting, flat or round, and I much prefer them to my double points or my regular straights. I have cables to make them 24", 32", and 40", though I rarely use the 24" ones. I use the 40" ones all the time, though, because I like magic loop in the round knitting. I most often use sizes 4-8, but I also use sizes 2 and 3 (which are fixed, not interchangeable, but I have them in 40" lengths), which is good for a lot of sock patterns.

I've had my Addi Turbo clicks for a little over a year and I don't like to knit with anything else now. I use them for everything but lace. I still use my clover bamboo needles for some things if my Addi's are all in use, but I try to hurry and finish what's on the Addi's so I can switch that project over. :)

I have Knitpicks wooden needles and I really like them. I just got some Addi Click needles, but haven't gotten a chance to use them yet. I need to finish my current project before I break them out. :)

Oh, and I use my circular interchangeable needles for everything. I love knitting flat with circular needles!

I like the looks of both, but I'm leaning towards the Knit Picks Interchangeable. I have about $80 to spend on needles, yarn, & I wanted to get some fabric for my new sewing machine.

I want the nickel plated (I prefer metal over wood with needles), but they're so expensive. I don't get money to spend like this often. Decisions, decisions.

I see the Knit Picks interchangeables only com with 24'' and 32'' cables. Would I be fine without the 40''? I'd like to begin to knit larger things, like sweaters and the like.

:iagree:I really like knitplcks. They have metal points but I prefer the wooden ones-- maybe they are bamboo. The cables don't twist when I knit.

I have never tried the other brand.

I would try both then get more. This is a purchase that you can use for year!

I love Knitpicks (or Knitpros as they are called around here). I even got the squares ones. I like these because I got some carpal tunnel syndrome and with these I find I don't have to hold the needles so 'hard'. However they do make your stitches smaller so you have to go one size higher to get the same gauge -figuring this out is a bit of a hassle, the only drawback to the square needles. I want to try knitpicks niquel next :D

I'm considering just buying the Knit Picks Nickel Interchangeable separately instead of as a pack, but I don't know if I'd spend more that way. I know I would save by buying the pack, but I don't know that I'll use all those sizes.

I can't decide what sizes to get. I've tried looking at patterns I want to try, but they're all over the place so I can't really get a good idea of what range I need.

I may just eat the cost of the set and then wait until my birthday in October to get more yarn and fabric.

Should I also purchase a 40'' cable, or should 32'' be fine for now?

If you save by buying the entire range of sizes at once, it isn't much, so I would just buy a few right now. 8 is the biggest that most of the things I want to knit need, though ymmv. I would personally get the 40" cable set now, if for no other reason than waiting could mean paying more shipping on such a small item. It can be tricky to do small circumference things with a 32" cable, and if you do want to do larger things, at least you'll have the longer cable ready. On the other hand, I think KP now offers a connector, so you can make longer cables; that might be an option to get to connect the ones that come in the set, if you get the set.

If I was buying totally from scratch right now, I'd probably not bother to get the 24" cables at all, as I rarely use them. I don't like flat knitting very much, so I knit in the round as much as possible and like the larger cables for that.

I'm having trouble deciding between the Knit Picks Nickel Interchangable Kit or just buying them little by little. It would save about $25 in the long run to buy the kit, but it only comes with 24'' and 32'' cables.

I'm having trouble figuring out which needle sizes to get. I don't think I'll be doing socks or gloves anytime soon, so probably size 4 or larger. Other than that, I am having trouble narrowing it down. I would like to do baby booties, bags, shawls/wraps, Mary Jane slippers, maybe a sweater or two. Which sizes would be best for those types of projects?

Also, if I just buy the pieces separately, should I get a 24'' cable, or would that be a waste?