Menu

reading "The Borrowers" with 6yo -- stick with it?

This is a little question -- I've just started reading "The Borrowers" to Button, 6 1/2. Our previous read-alouds were Wizard of Oz, Mr. Popper's Penguins, Charlotte's Web, and Wind in the Willows. The Borrowers is awfully slow starting, and I'm on the fence about sticking it out or moving on -- I'd slated something by Nesbit next, either Book of Dragons or Five Children and It. Ideas???

and thank you!

Well, we haven't actually read The Borrowers, so I can't tell you whether it gets better or not. I think the other books you have read are wonderful, and I personally wouldn't spend time on a book that we didn't find interesting when there are so many other great books out there. Of course that is just my opinion. I'm sure once my dc are older, I will be stricter about forcing our way through difficult or slow books, but when they are young I just want us all to enjoy the journey and fall in love with reading.

We also started and then abandoned The Borrowers. It sounds like it should be a great little kid story, but the combination of the language, plot speed, need to draw inferences, and necessary cultural background information makes it hard going. I loved it as a kid, but I was an older kid. Try it again at eight or nine.

We were fine with it, but I think you have to stick with it past that first dreadfully boring couple of chapters that sets up that the old lady is telling the story.

On the other hand, we like them, but didn't love them so I won't argue too stringently.

We loved the Borrowers, but not the sequels as much. However, I loved them when I read them myself as a kid. At any rate, I would just wait on it. It is a wonderful book, but I think may be appreciated more in a couple of years. I just read it aloud to my 9 yo and he was riveted.

We listened to the audio CD when my girls were 7 and 9. They both liked The Borrowers, but I have abandoned books before when the kids thought they were boring. Different people like different things. If you are a fair way into it, aren't enjoying it either, I'd choose something new.

Thank you, everybody! I think we'll pause it ... Button used to just detest being read to, and reading, so having him learn to love books is a huge goal of mine. We have the Nesbits on hand from the library, and also Jungle Book (which I don't adore completely, but he was entranced by the sample in WWE) so we'll do something he likes. Am so appreciative of the support for jettisoning an unliked book at this age!

(I'm afraid we started the book b/c I wanted him to read it before we saw the Arrietty movie :blush:. I think we'll just let him watch the film and wait on the book ... )

We're reading the Borrowers now, but mine is 7. I don't think he loves it, but he hasn't asked me to stop either. It does pick up a bit towards the middle.

We have given up books that didn't work in the past. I usually encourage them to stick it out for three or four chapters first. I'd rather keep the fun in reading, especially at a younger age, than risk killing a love for reading by insisting we finish something.

I agree with all - dd *adored* The Borrowers in 3rd grade. Give it a couple of years.

But I also completely get the dilemna - I want them to read books before seeing movies, I hate it when a movie "ruins" the book for a kid. I bet Arriety is different enough, though, that it will seem like two totally different experiences.

a little update: Button insisted on pushing through! So we are, though he doesn't seem to be following half the plot, sweet fellow. I think he just likes the tiny people.

If he is still going strong at the end, maybe we'll try Afield soon; but I think I'll probably plan on reading them both together in 3rd, when he'll understand them!

My girls are younger but we dropped it. I moved on to Pippi. They also didn't like charlotte's web enough to continue. They loved wizard of oz and Popper's penguins. We are just reading these books for fun. To grow their love of reading so if no one is enjoying it I dont see a need to continue . The even saw the movie and were excited to read it. I gave up around chapter 4.

We read the complete Borrowers series several months ago and my 2 DC (who were 5 and 3 at the time) loved them! They would beg for more chapters (especially my 5yo, who is now 6). BUT every child is different, so I wouldn't have a problem setting it aside for now if it wasn't interesting to your child.