Menu

Wedding cake pricing question

It really depends on a couple of factors:

#1. What are other bakeries in your area charging for comparable products/services?

#2. Calculate the cost of your ingredients & supplies, then multiply that x3.

OR...

#3. Calculate the cost of your ingredients & supplies, then calculate how long you think it will take you and what you think you ought to be making per hour. Add those together, and then charge a fee for delivery.

One more thing--a lot of this depends upon how much experience you have. If you don't have much experience, you have to charge less, and plan that you're sort of "paying your dues" in order to gain skills & experience, kwim?

Edited by Julie in CA

One more thing--a lot of this depends upon how much experience you have. If you don't have much experience, you have to charge less, and plan that you're sort of "paying your dues" in order to gain skills & experience, kwim?

This is why I'm thinking $200. I am planning to produce something pretty and delicious, but this will be my first wedding cake. I've been improving, but I'm not a professional. I am figuring it will cost me around $100 in ingredients & supplies when it's all said & done. Now if I factored in the stress & worry, that would be a different story! :D

Knowing that, does $200 still sound reasonable?

If this is your first wedding cake, then it seems reasonable. I'd do that while you build a "portfolio". Be sure to take good pictures of the cakes you've done and build an album and/or webpage with them. I'd do that for maybe 10 events and then start charging "real" money. Because that is seriously a steal (where I'm located) and I hope whoever is getting that deal feels very lucky! I paid $3 for custom cupcakes (they were not super fancy) for my 7 year olds birthday last year and the same bakery does not get much cheaper for large quantities.

Too good a deal. If you've calculated $100 for ingredients and supplies, you're still short selling your profit. Even at $300, you're going to be pricing yourself about the same as Walmart. And they don't deliver, set up, fret over the order, bake fresh, etc.

And I'm not snarking Walmart- I work as a cake decorator for them.

Even if you are new, I think that is still too cheap. I paid that about 15 years ago for a generic cake from a chain grocery store (no fancy fillings/flavors) just plain chocolate cake plus frosting.

If you feel like if you charge more, you will lose the job, then I guess I would take it because it does give you experience but I would think $250-$300 would be more reasonable.

This is why I'm thinking $200. I am planning to produce something pretty and delicious, but this will be my first wedding cake. I've been improving, but I'm not a professional. I am figuring it will cost me around $100 in ingredients & supplies when it's all said & done. Now if I factored in the stress & worry, that would be a different story! :D

Knowing that, does $200 still sound reasonable?

I'm not sure how to advise you about that. My first wedding cakes were done for friends who paid for ingredients alone. Honestly, when I think back to some of my first efforts, I probably should have paid *them* for the opportunity to give it a try! I'd leave it at $200, and I'd be sure to tell the customer that I didn't have experience yet, so I was giving them a discount with that in mind. That way, if something goes wrong, they're not totally surprised. Not that something will go wrong, but I think it's fair to make sure they know you're new to this. If you do well, their word of mouth advertising will be worth the amount you didn't charge. As you gain experience, your skills & time will be more valuable, and you'll be able to charge more.

As others have said, make sure you take a picture after you set the cake. It's nice to look back at it later, and it's also good to have proof that when you left, the cake was as it should have been. People do crazy things after the cake decorator leaves! Once, I delivered a cake to a venue where I had to wait about 20 minutes while they decided where I should set the cake. I told them that I was glad to wait, because once I set up the cake, it would be difficult to move safely.

I found out later, that after I'd left, they'd picked up the cake *and the table it rested on*, and carried it down a steep hill with slick pavement, *in the rain*. :001_huh: I was glad to have proof that I'd left it with them in good shape. ;)

I think your business model is fine. Charge less as you establish yourself in the market.

I took a chance and hired a landscaper to be his first "gig". He did it for almost 1/2 of the other quotes. He did an amazing job, and we are still happy.

Good luck and take lots of pictures and listen to your feedback.

I agree. Is this your first wedding cake? If it is (or your 2nd or 3rd), and it was me, I'd be happy to get paid for the cost of ingredients plus a little extra, just for the practice. Have you seen Cake Wrecks?

I think it is too cheap, but I think it is good to price yourself lower to be competitive as you are just starting out.

I would probably charge $2 a person for cake and cupcakes = $280

I would charge a 58.5 per mile for delivery, plus a flat set-up fee. I have seen places lump those charges together for between $25-50 within a reasonable radius and then add an extra delivery charge if it is outside of a "reasonable" 10-15 mile radius.

Even if you are just starting out I would not skimp on delivery fee and set-up fee because those are costs you are eating directly. You can "afford" to have a lower profit margin when you are starting out, but I would not skimp on delivery because I think people will take advantage of you.

After the wedding, I would contact the newlyweds and see if they would be willing tell you/write a review for you so you can put that in your brochure or website... And to get some feedback!

Good luck!!