Menu

Anyone not apply for FAFSA?

xxxxxxxx

One of our frequent posters told a tale, the moral of which was to fill out the FAFSA. At her son's university, scholarships were only provided to students who filled out the FAFSA. Basically they missed out on money during his first year of college because of this.

You are under no obligation to accept Stafford loans, but the only way you qualify is through FAFSA. Even if you do not plan on using them today, given the state of the economy, it might be wise to have them as a possibility down the road. When August roles around, you can just say no.

We didn't bother as our EFC was higher than the cost of attending the college. Our dd has an academic scholarship, and I talked to the financial aid office last year before the deadline, to make sure her scholarship wasn't at risk. They said we didn't have to file if the only thing she had was the academic scholarship. I would check with your college to see if there are any other risks.

I dutifully filled it out last year... but my husband makes a good income and my son is at a reasonably priced state school, so I was quite certain that no additional aid would be offered.

This year, my daughter will be starting at a more expensive private school, so I filled it out again to see if any aid would be forthcoming... nope, just more loan information.

So, since their (nice) merit scholarships don't require FAFSAs, and clearly our income disqualifies us from any aid, I doubt I'll go through that hassle again.

Blessings,

Debbie

I do them every year, esp. now as our state Bright Futures $$ requires it. We never qualify for any additional funds, but I didn't want and $$ to fall through the cracks just because I didn't fill out the stinkin' form.

We did it despite ds getting top merit award...and it made him eligible for work study, plus he got an extra small grant. You can just file it doing the best you can to meet college deadlines - then go on-line and correct it when taxes are all done. That is expected, and what we have done.

One of our frequent posters told a tale, the moral of which was to fill out the FAFSA. At her son's university, scholarships were only provided to students who filled out the FAFSA. Basically they missed out on money during his first year of college because of this.

You are under no obligation to accept Stafford loans, but the only way you qualify is through FAFSA. Even if you do not plan on using them today, given the state of the economy, it might be wise to have them as a possibility down the road. When August roles around, you can just say no.

:iagree:Two schools to which ds applied required the FAFSA for merit aid consideration. He will also be taking out Stafford loans.

My ds was accepted into his school of choice, Honors College, nice academic scholarships. FAFSA was required to process his package, even without loans. I'm guessing that varies school to school.

As another poster said, just because they calculate what loan amount you qualify for doesn't mean you actually have to take them up on it. You never know what a day may bring...

At my dd's school, the FAFSA was not required to be considered for merit scholarships (BE SURE TO CHECK THIS!) and we knew we didn't qualify for any need-based aid. She ended up getting a nice merit scholarship.

Be sure to check with each college about FAFSA. Some colleges won't consider you for any merit awards without a FAFSA. And some schools won't allow you to file a FAFSA in subsequent years if you don't file one freshman year.

At my dd's school, the FAFSA was not required to be considered for merit scholarships (BE SURE TO CHECK THIS!) and we knew we didn't qualify for any need-based aid. She ended up getting a nice merit scholarship.

Be sure to check with each college about FAFSA. Some colleges won't consider you for any merit awards without a FAFSA. And some schools won't allow you to file a FAFSA in subsequent years if you don't file one freshman year.

I had forgotten about the bold! Good point, Angie. Always check with the school.

I've never filled out college financial aid forms, but my husband and I did ponder whether we should fill out boarding school financial aid forms. We actually did start to fill them out and were appalled at the intrusive questions they asked. Since we probably weren't eligible anyway, we decided to maintain our financial privacy and not even try to file. You just never know who is going to see that information.

My ds was accepted into his school of choice, Honors College, nice academic scholarships. FAFSA was required to process his package, even without loans. I'm guessing that varies school to school.

As another poster said, just because they calculate what loan amount you qualify for doesn't mean you actually have to take them up on it. You never know what a day may bring...

Yes, all of the above applied to our situation, as well. Our daughter's college would not process her application without the FAFSA. It took about 30 minutes, was painless, and all of the information they asked for was duplicated on our taxes anyway -- I have no delusions of privacy. If the IRS already knows everything about me, FAFSA may as well, too.

... -- I have no delusions of privacy...

:iagree:

Anyone who is really seeking that sort of personal info will likely be able to pick it up from other sources anyway.

Haha, remember the MegaMillions a few weeks ago? I joked that if I ever won such a prize, one thing I'd spend good money on would be having my cyber presence erased. Yeah, it would cost a fortune!

Ds school works the same way. They won't process merit scholarships if you didn't fill out the FAFSA.

We were told not to bother bec we had contributed to our state plan to pre-pay tuition and bec we have real estate investments and dh owns his own company which we had to count. At our ds's school it wasn't needed for his state scholarship. There is no way we could have it filed by the deadlines anyway bec we file taxes w/ extensions anyway.

We do it even though we qualify for nothing except she can get unsubsidized Stafford Loans. What happened to us this year is a potential reason- my dd got sick and had to medically withdraw. She will be taking online classes in the summer. Right now we aren't sure how much they will be but if too much for us to fund straight out, we will have her get a loan and then help her pay it back.

You never know when your kid gets sick or injured, your spouse loses a job, you all suffer a disaster, etc. I think it is just a good safety decision because it does let your child get that Stafford Loan which may be just what is needed.