Menu

Teaching cursive first: any regrets? Do you wish you waited?

warriormom

If you taught cursive first, did you have any regrets (patience, developmental readiness, preparation etc)?

Do you wish you waited (or started earlier)?

When did you start (4,5,6 or 7 years old)?

If you had a preK/kindergarten child, how would you start teaching cursive (sandpaper letters, writing in salt or just go for it)?

How much time a day would you spend on handwriting for a 4-5 year old (5 minutes)?

Any words of caution or advice?

I have not taught cursive to my child yet so can't answer on that one.

I started teaching my 4 year old to write this year after she'd showed some interest. She already knew her letters and sounds and had started reading when I started teaching writing. I started with only a few minutes a day - and at the beginning she was writing one word of about three letters. A month in she was writing about 4 four letter words in one session and I then started giving her sentences of about 5 words or less to write. She is still writing less than 5 minutes a day.

I think how you start depends on what the child wants - if they have requested to write then I would probably teach them to write the letter with their whole arm in the air and then move to pencils. If it was not their idea then I would probably do salt letters and sandpaper letters. I also think it depends on how familiar your child is with letters in general - if the child is already reading it may be better to start out letting them write meaningful words, (there are ways of using certain words in order to teach only one or two letters at a time and reinforce them while adding new ones - eg. at, cat, coat, oats, stop etc) whereas if they are still learning the alphabet then it is probably better to teach only one letter at a time and have them practice this. (my daughter found this boring)

With cursive you also need to teach joining - like I said I do not know how to teach this.

I think I can fairly answer this one. I taught both of my dd's cusrive handwriting early. I started my oldest at age 6 and she is doing really well. Her cursive is neat and legible....most of the time.

I started my 2nd dd at age 5. Worst decision of my life. Tears and frustration for the whole 6-7 months! AHHHH!!! This year we switched back to manuscript and things have smoothed out very well. Her writing has improved, along with her attitude toward school.

I used A Beka for both experiences. I believe it depends on the child. When I asked my 2nd daughter about returning to cursive next year she replied...."No thanks. I like print better." And I'm happy with that. I may try cursive again with her in 2nd or 3rd grade. I'm not going to push her. I'm not sure if that helps you at all but I thought I'd share my experience.

If a person has trouble thinking ahead while still working on a problem in the present, cursive is harder than printing. They must think about the letter they are writing, the letter ahead and which connector to use. That is 3 things to juggle instead of one letter at a time.

I have known for decades about this problem, especially with LD and 2E boys. Only recently did I notice that this problem affects handwriting alone, as well as general writing and composing.

I no longer can stay neutral about the idea of cursive first. Some well rounded children without any LDs will do fine with cursive first, but cursive first is a BAD idea in GENERAL, in my opinion.

I am so glad to read a REAL homeschool moms opinion on the matter. That makes complete sense to me. I like the idea of cursive first since it is getting the hardest a part "over with" when they are young and can barely rember the pain of the process:lol:...but I do not want to set up my dd for failure. Really what appeals to me is italics....but then the whole, I cannot read grandmas note or original historic documents.

If a person has trouble thinking ahead while still working on a problem in the present, cursive is harder than printing. They must think about the letter they are writing, the letter ahead and which connector to use. That is 3 things to juggle instead of one letter at a time.

I have known for decades about this problem, especially with LD and 2E boys. Only recently did I notice that this problem affects handwriting alone, as well as general writing and composing.

I no longer can stay neutral about the idea of cursive first. Some well rounded children without any LDs will do fine with cursive first, but cursive first is a BAD idea in GENERAL, in my opinion.

What is 2E?

I didn't teach cursive first with my sons, but based on a lot of research I have seen, I am going to try cursive with my DD once she starts kindergarten this fall. Since my current plan is to use a mix of LOE and PP, I will teach her how to form each cursive letter as we study it, along with learning all the sounds it makes. I figure by the time we work slowly through our phonogram cards, she'll have had a lot of time to practice. Then, whe we get to the blends, we can take our time practicing the joining of the two letters. We'll see how it goes. :D

2E means twice exceptional, gifted but with learning disabilities, often a boy with Aspergers aka computer geek syndrome.

I'm currently tutoring with Spalding. I too thought maybe teaching the cursive along side the phonograms would work. NOT! And we hadn't even gotten to the point of the student composing original words that hadn't been specifically modeled.

Cursive first CAN work, but I just took my student back to manuscript.

:001_huh: All of the research indicates otherwise. Cursive is easier for children with dyslexia, it eliminates reversals, it helps children see words as one unit, it is easier to learn because there are less strokes and movements to learn *and* the movements are more natural.

We have had a fabulous experience with doing cursive first and I will start my son with cursive when he is ready to write as well. My daughter had started printing on her own before we started formal writing, but had no problem learning cursive. If a child is crying about writing, whether print or cursive, it is time to back off and try again in a few months. Some children won't be ready until after 6yo. And starting them with large motor for letter formation makes a huge difference. Have then write with chalk outside or on a large dry erase or chalkboard, then move in to a small dry erase or chalkboard, then finally to paper.

I am really so glad we started this way. I feel like I am giving my children a gift of beautiful and efficient handwriting, which will help them throughout their schooling with writing and retaining information.

Edited by kristin0713
Typos. I'm sure there are more.

If you had a preK/kindergarten child, how would you start teaching cursive (sandpaper letters, writing in salt or just go for it)?

How much time a day would you spend on handwriting for a 4-5 year old (5 minutes)?

I forgot to answer most of this. We started with gross motor as I said above (chalkboard, dry erase board, chalk outside) as well as sandpaper letters and a salt tray. All that is really good, especially in the months before you officially "start" writing. I started my DD with this at 5 and then officially started the Cursive First program at 5.5 when she started kindy. My DS who just turned 4, I've been doing the salt tray with him now just since last month, but we are only doing big movements. I plan to take a year with him like this before attempting paper. His lessons right now at 4yo are about 5 minutes. I imagine at the start of kindy we will do writing for about 10-15min; that was about what I did with DD.

First set of kids, print first (with one LD kid who struggled and labored over fine motor so writing was difficult and still is).

Second set of kids, cursive first (all ESL, one with various LDs). Best decision ever.

However, I taught it in conjunction with the phonogram sounds via Spell to Write and Read. This is our 4th year and all are doing well, especially my one with LDs.

I would side with the research b/c it worked for us, but again, I used it faithfully as an entire program, not just for writing.

HTH!

:001_huh: All of the research indicates otherwise. Cursive is easier for children with dyslexia, it eliminates reversals, it helps children see words as one unit, it is easier to learn because there are less strokes and movements to learn *and* the movements are more natural.

We have had a fabulous experience with doing cursive first and I will start my son with cursive when he is ready to write as well. My daughter had started printing on her own before we started formal writing, but had no problem learning cursive. If a child is crying about writing, whether print or cursive, it is time to back off and try again in a few months. Some children won't be ready until after 6yo. And starting them with large motor for letter formation makes a huge difference. Have then write with chalk outside or on a large dry erase or chalkboard, then move in to a small dry erase or chalkboard, then finally to paper.

I am really so glad we started this way. I feel like I am giving my children a gift of beautiful and efficient handwriting, which will help them throughout their schooling with writing and retaining information.

:iagree::iagree: I wish I had started ds with cursive. I also totally agree that a year can make a difference. My ds was in no way ready to start writing at 5 so IMO it is possible that age made a difference with the OP's first daughter.

Also, I would encourage tracing cursive letters at first for several months. Then have them trace words for a while and then sentences. When you feel they are ready, then have them do copywork. You can use a chalkboard with handwriting lines on it. I was able to find a laptop size with these lines on it. Then I would write the letters, then words, then sentences on it in a light colored chalk for ds to trace with a short piece of chalk for proper hand grip. I chose words and sentences that interested my ds.

I started cursive first with my oldest b/c we were sent to an OT for fine motor delay and that was one of the recommendations.

We spent a long time with sandpaper letters and gross motor mediums for learning the formation. I didn't ask him to write with pencil/paper at all during this time. We just did our finger-tracing and made big letters in the sandbox and on the sidewalk. (He was 4yo when we started, and I had a 2yo and 1yo at the time...so actual teaching was short, simple and sometimes sporadic.;))

He began writing on his own one day. He filled pages and pages of letters and 3 letter words. He was SO proud! It was very much like what Montessori describes when she talks about learning to write letters and numbers. The catch: everything he wrote that day was in PRINT CAPS. (All that time teaching cursive and he writes in caps...the little stinker!:tongue_smilie:)

After that day, I began teaching him cursive on paper. I used Abeka Cursive K for a wb, and it went fairly smoothly from there. He has written in cursive every school day since. His handwriting is gorgeous for a 9yo boy.:D He picked up printing very easily! There were only a few letters that needed some help. His print is not as gorgeous as his cursive...to say the least. He has the right formation, but all of the issues that can arise with print (spacing, sizing, directionality, etc) do...it's Murphy's Law applied to handwriting. We work on it, but it's a relief for him to revert back to cursive.

I don't regret teaching cursive first, especially to this child (who is maybe 2E, definitely an asynchronous learner). We have used print to iron out some...ahem....issues. But, his favored mode for writing is cursive. It's easier for him than print.

Now, my dd is a precocious child and began copying letters and words out of her books at such a young age. I didn't teach her any handwriting before she began teaching herself. I went ahead and taught her the correct printing formation first b/c she was writing in print, ready or not. I began cursive early though (kindergarten). She writes beautifully in both.

My youngest is kindergarten now, and he began writing in ALL CAPS on his own a long time ago. He has been resistant to learning cursive, and I'm not pushing it. I will start him on cursive by the time he's 1st grade-ish...7yo for sure. He spends a lot of time making bubble letters in his drawings (which are phenomenal...from a biased mother's POV:lol:).

I have a relaxed a bit on the cursive first stance, but I still think it's a priority to teach it very early (4-7yo) and to teach it well. I may change my tune again when my youngest is older...I may regret *not* pushing cursive first.

:iagree: We saw incredible growth in my 2E ds when he learned cursive first in K. FWIW, most OTs recommend cursive for kids who struggle with motor/sensory issues like my ds.

Edited by wapiti

I would love to buy cursive sandpaper letters...but they are so expensive. I do not trust my craft skills. Buying both upper and lower case can cost over $100 with shipping.

You don't need craft skills. Cardstock, glue, and sand are what you need. They need not be pretty. In fact, involve your dc in their making. You use a sharpie marker to write a letter (make it large), carefully make a line of glue over your letter, and let your dc sprinkle sand all over it. Let dry. Shake off. Tada!!!

Cost: Less than $1. An afternoon of your time.

It worked out well for us. Just go for it. Don't be fanatical one way or the other. Teach them cursive, and then if they beg to print teach them to print. They're humans, not china dolls that will break when you screw up, kwim? You really can't screw this up. You're going to do FINE.

These curricula like SWR make you all anxious and worried that you better do it right or you're going to make them dyslexic, make them have horrible handwriting, etc. No one makes anyone like that. The kid was born with a bent in each thing, and that bent is going to show. Problems in your kid do not mean you messed up any more than success means you're the perfect teacher. You could teach them perfectly and they end up with chicken scratch and dyslexia, and you could slack off, not teach them for three years, and come out fine on the other end. It was the kid, not you, and you're working with what you got dealt.

So just take the plunge and do it imperfectly. It's going to be fine, honest. :)

It worked out well for us. Just go for it. Don't be fanatical one way or the other. Teach them cursive, and then if they beg to print teach them to print. They're humans, not china dolls that will break when you screw up, kwim? You really can't screw this up. You're going to do FINE.

These curricula like SWR make you all anxious and worried that you better do it right or you're going to make them dyslexic, make them have horrible handwriting, etc. No one makes anyone like that. The kid was born with a bent in each thing, and that bent is going to show. Problems in your kid do not mean you messed up any more than success means you're the perfect teacher. You could teach them perfectly and they end up with chicken scratch and dyslexia, and you could slack off, not teach them for three years, and come out fine on the other end. It was the kid, not you, and you're working with what you got dealt.

So just take the plunge and do it imperfectly. It's going to be fine, honest. :)

Now that is some of the best advice I've heard in the hive. :001_smile:

Wow, thank you for this great idea. duuh...:lol:

You don't need craft skills. Cardstock, glue, and sand are what you need. They need not be pretty. In fact, involve your dc in their making. You use a sharpie marker to write a letter (make it large), carefully make a line of glue over your letter, and let your dc sprinkle sand all over it. Let dry. Shake off. Tada!!!

Cost: Less than $1. An afternoon of your time.

Thank you for this common sense advice! You just freed me up to make mistakes, succeed and be human:001_smile:

You could teach them perfectly and they end up with chicken scratch and dyslexia, and you could slack off, not teach them for three years, and come out fine on the other end. It was the kid, not you, and you're working with what you got dealt.

:iagree: My own family proves this true. I have spent unreal amounts of time teaching my oldest to read (or trying to LOL), and he is 9yo and just now reading Magic Tree House books. My 7yo dd began reading at 3yo (she was learning to read via eaves dropping in on her brother's lessons) and is reading whatever she pleases (mama has to hide books not for little girls). I've taught her very little (at least in lessons geared for her)...and feel a bit guilty about it, but she doesn't need as much.

It's all an educated guess, an imperfect art.:iagree:

There is a lot of research on both sides. It's just that the research that is currently being handed around the homeschool world is mostly pro cursive first. Spalding manuscript eliminates reversals and makes letters in just one stroke. There is a lot of misinformation and poor "research" around cursive first. Homeschoolers are NOT receiving balanced information around this issue.

Dyslexia and LDs are about far more than letter reversals. Far more. I'm no expert and I'm not going to repeat what I already wrote. But I'm going to give my :001_huh: to why cursive first has become so popular lately in the spelling curricula being marketed to LD children. I predict a backswing for this, especially with LOE's choice of D'Nealian. That is definitely a :001_huh:

Oh wow - that is SO helpful! My kids' handwriting stinks despite an unbelievably amount of work on my part, with occupational therapists, and at preschool. I was thinking I would start cursive just to have a clean start, but we are still having major problems with motor planning. I think knowing what you said above, I better hold off!

If you taught cursive first, did you have any regrets (patience, developmental readiness, preparation etc)?

None.

I wish I would have done it with my dd#1. Dd#2 & dd#3 were both "cursive first." All are GIRLS, obviously. I have yet to start with my boys. I will wait until they are "ready" (which probably won't be at just-turned-5) and will do gross-motor first.

Dd#2 & 3 were between just-turned-5 and 5 1/2 when we started with the sugar-tracing (motivational licking-of-finger better than the salt box) and gross motor making of the letters. Both learned their phonogram sounds first, then "handwriting."

It would depend on the child. But, I probably wouldn't "just go for it" unless they already did a lot of fine motor on their own (coloring, tracing, drawing, scribbling, copying).

Depends on the kid. No more than 10 minutes at a sitting. I'm very kid-led at that age, so two minutes might be too long. :tongue_smilie:

• It isn't for everyone.

• The program you use can make a big difference. (I like Cursive First's approach of teaching all lowercase before teaching any uppercase except the first letter of their name(s). McRuffy's approach (upper & lowercase together in alphabetical order) was a huge bomb at my house!)

• Start with gross motor. Watch their formation of letters (& numbers). Make it FUN!

Edited by RootAnn

Spalding manuscript eliminates reversals and makes letters in just one stroke.

I don't think any type of handwriting (instruction) program can eliminate reversals. Supposedly writing in cursive doesn't allow reversals. Allow me to exhibit dd#2 -- who can write in completely beautiful mirror-image cursive and not even realize it. Her brain just (and thus her fingers/wrist/hand) reverses things (images, numbers, letters, words, etc.) sometimes.

No instruction can completely eliminate it until her brain learns to recognize its non-traditional handling and then she can keep from doing it.

Originally Posted by Hunter

Spalding manuscript eliminates reversals and makes letters in just one stroke.

I don't think any type of handwriting (instruction) program can eliminate reversals. Supposedly writing in cursive doesn't allow reversals. Allow me to exhibit dd#2 -- who can write in completely beautiful mirror-image cursive and not even realize it. Her brain just (and thus her fingers/wrist/hand) reverses things (images, numbers, letters, words, etc.) sometimes.

No instruction can completely eliminate it until her brain learns to recognize its non-traditional handling and then she can keep from doing it.

You are absolutely right, so let me rephrase this. The Spalding manuscript font provides all the same benefits that most cursive fonts do, in helping to prevent reversals.

DD learned to write her name and a few letters in manuscript, but then learned cursive. She seemed to find it easier overall and we've been happy with it. Right now we are working on her printing - the main things that she has to adapt to are letter spacing and making the letters on the right part of the line.

The Spalding manuscript font provides all the same benefits that most cursive fonts do, in helping to prevent reversals.

This isn't 100% true, according to my experience with one of my dc.

I use the Spalding handwriting method for printing. When a child can visualize a clock inverted without *knowing* he is inverting it, saying "start at 2 o'clock" is not effective.

Ex - I teach d as "Start at two o'clock - around like a zero - all the way up - and down." He can say the prompt, follow the prompt...and I look and he has written a perfect d...only inverted as a b. This same child used to print "a" backwards about 1/2 the time...on one page, 1/2 of the a's would be forward and the other half backwards. And many other letters as well...It's as if space is all movable to him.

I spent a long time working the spalding printing with the letters he reverses. I would dictate letters/phonograms to him and we'd work mainly on writing them forwards. This has helped, but it is NOT a cure-all for directionality problems...and cursive is the "safe" mode for writing where he need not worry so much b/c it's 2nd nature.

My ds also inverts entire phonograms. He will sometimes write "hs" for "sh" and perfectly inverted. He might write "shirt" as "hsirt" or "shrit" or "hsrit". He knows and sees the phonograms...he just mentally moves them...and the Spalding handwriting has not cured that. Cursive has, for the most part. When he inverts cursive, it's typically as one entire unit, rather than in bits and pieces. (.uoy evol I) And, YES, I drilled the "Left to right, left to right, that's the way we read and write" mantra from the time he was tiny.:svengo: (No, honey, the other left.)

Not to be difficult, but I bore a child that is out to prove all accepted pedagogy as rubbish.:tongue_smilie::lol::willy_nilly:

Absolutely none. We've enjoyed it. My kids love that they can write in cursive. My daughter was telling me yesterday that "Cursive won't go away because I'm going to teach it to my children."

Maybe earlier with my oldest. Not my youngest.

6, 5, & 4 ....

Salt box, and the worksheets to trace.

However long they're willing to work at it. My 4 year old will do 1-2 lines of the worksheet at a sitting. My 5 year old has just realized that he'll learn more letters faster if he does a worksheet at a sitting. My 7 year old can start with me, then finish independently.

Be patient, work at their speed.

ETA: All of my kids started to write on their own, figuring out how to print letters and loving to write words, "letters," and such on their own while they were 4ish. I wouldn't go as early to the worksheets if they weren't already writing by themselves.

Edited by ladydusk

My son did great with cursive in 2nd grade. I started it early with him because he had SO MaNY letter reversals. It really solved a problem for us. He cried for a week, when, after learning cursive, I began requiring it 100% of the time. But I pushed through and he stopped crying and all of our battles with letter reversal were over!!! Yay!!!

Now, when he sometimes writes in manuscript (like in his comics, or his AWANA book) he writes b's and d's in capitals, as a way of ensuring they aren't backwards. And he writes n's capital to ensure they aren't upside down. But he has finally grown out of all the others.

But I still say to use manuscript first, for a year and if you notice extreme reversals you can always introduce cursive between first and 2nd grade.

(and remember, some reversals are normal!)

Edited by Calming Tea

This isn't 100% true, according to my experience with one of my dc.

I use the Spalding handwriting method for printing. When a child can visualize a clock inverted without *knowing* he is inverting it, saying "start at 2 o'clock" is not effective.

Ex - I teach d as "Start at two o'clock - around like a zero - all the way up - and down." He can say the prompt, follow the prompt...and I look and he has written a perfect d...only inverted as a b. This same child used to print "a" backwards about 1/2 the time...on one page, 1/2 of the a's would be forward and the other half backwards. And many other letters as well...It's as if space is all movable to him.

I spent a long time working the spalding printing with the letters he reverses. I would dictate letters/phonograms to him and we'd work mainly on writing them forwards. This has helped, but it is NOT a cure-all for directionality problems...and cursive is the "safe" mode for writing where he need not worry so much b/c it's 2nd nature.

My ds also inverts entire phonograms. He will sometimes write "hs" for "sh" and perfectly inverted. He might write "shirt" as "hsirt" or "shrit" or "hsrit". He knows and sees the phonograms...he just mentally moves them...and the Spalding handwriting has not cured that. Cursive has, for the most part. When he inverts cursive, it's typically as one entire unit, rather than in bits and pieces. (.uoy evol I) And, YES, I drilled the "Left to right, left to right, that's the way we read and write" mantra from the time he was tiny.:svengo: (No, honey, the other left.)

Not to be difficult, but I bore a child that is out to prove all accepted pedagogy as rubbish.:tongue_smilie::lol::willy_nilly:

Hmm...this is an LD I have not had any experience with yet. Thank you for sharing your story with me. Over and over again, I have seen children and adults who can not think ahead at the same time they are doing something else. They need to finish one thing and THEN do the next. Your child seems to almost be doing the opposite and as well as something just different. The MORE you give him to grapple with a time, the less likely he is to make a mistake. How interesting.

I really appreciate the heads up to look for this, and the suggestion to the best remedy for this LD. Because I have been programmed to look so quickly for the other, I know I could miss this for quite awhile. So thank you.

Handwriting without Tears cursive. (3rd grade book with teacher's guide) I believe it makes the most sense, takes the best of everything. If you want bigger for your child, you could purchase is and make copies that you enlarge or kinda rig up the younger ones. I tried the "cursive first" from SWR and it didn't work at all for my son. With just a couple of lessons with HWOTs I could tell it was going to be a success!! :) And... if he wants to embellish that's not a problem, either :)

But I still say to useabuscript first, for a year and if you notice extreme reversals you can always introduce cursive between first and 2nd grade.

(and remember, some reversals are normal!)

Hmmm...I like this plan. With one year of manuscript, they learn spacing and size and basic letter shape, if nothing else. And then the teacher can evaluate what is going on, and decide what is best for THAT student.

When a child can visualize a clock inverted without *knowing* he is inverting it, saying "start at 2 o'clock" is not effective.

My ds also inverts entire phonograms. He will sometimes write "hs" for "sh" and perfectly inverted. (.uoy evol I)

My dd#2 does exactly this.

out is uot

the is hte (and every so often, eht)

Cursive hasn't cured it, but age has helped. (We also did some of Dianne Craft's Brain Integration Therapy.) Her vocal patterns were strange when she finally started talking. She said things like, "Loved her snugglie, the girl did." (very French-like, IMO).

All that said, again, cursive "first" (or early) isn't for everyone. It can help, or it can be a disaster.