Menu

Are things less expensive at the conventions?

We're going to the convention in Cincinnati in just several weeks. There are some things that I'm holding off on purchasing until I can see them there in person. There are lots of other things I am for sure on. Does it make sense to wait or should I go ahead and buy? I'm specifically looking at some things at Christian Book right now because of the free shipping. Do they offer that frequently?

My personal experience is that things are not less expensive at conventions. The main reason I wait is to save on shipping and to be able to see things up close. I have been very glad on occasion that I chose to wait, however, because I have been shocked at times to see that the item I was going to buy wasn't anywhere near as impressive in person as it was online. In that sense, I did save money.

My personal experience is that things are not less expensive at conventions. The main reason I wait is to save on shipping and to be able to see things up close. I have been very glad on occasion that I chose to wait, however, because I have been shocked at times to see that the item I was going to buy wasn't anywhere near as impressive in person as it was online. In that sense, I did save money.

:iagree:

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Plus, you have to figure in the cost of gas, parking, food, and the HUGE price of admission which I think is outrageous.

This is true. I do want to make a pitch for state organization conventions (as opposed to "for profit" conventions), though. These are the folks that watch the lawmakers in your state and alert you to anything detrimental that might be happening. They are the volunteers who act as watchdogs to keep homeschooling legal. I know our state organization also supports all homeschoolers - their website is a treasure trove of free resources and they spend countless hours advising homeschoolers, new and experienced, on all things homeschool related. The key is that they are all volunteers and the money you spend on admission is used to support homeschooling.

This is true. I do want to make a pitch for state organization conventions (as opposed to "for profit" conventions), though. These are the folks that watch the lawmakers in your state and alert you to anything detrimental that might be happening. They are the volunteers who act as watchdogs to keep homeschooling legal. I know our state organization also supports all homeschoolers - their website is a treasure trove of free resources and they spend countless hours advising homeschoolers, new and experienced, on all things homeschool related. The key is that they are all volunteers and the money you spend on admission is used to support homeschooling.

I do not have a problem with "for profit" conventions (like the Midwest convention). How is the admission outrageous? Midwest's early bird pricing was $40 for a family for all 3 days. I looked at our state's convention, and their early bird family price is $65 for 1 day, or $75 for 2 days.

Midwest's current price (we're past the early bird deadline) is $55 for a family. I don't know what it would be at the door, but our state convention's price will be $90/2 day/family at the door.

Our state convention shopping pass is for 4 hours only, and is $30/family. I don't know Midwest's exhibit hall-only price.

Looking more into our state convention, I see that it is run by an organization that puts on 38 conferences in 34 states. I don't know how that group would be classified, but they'd need to make some sort of profit to cover their expenses.

ETA: they run CHEA's conventions also.

Edited by gardening momma

I agree that some of the conventions are pricing themselves right out of business, but we still love going to the more reasonable ones. I did see some vendors in Greenville that were discounting and/or giving out bonus items if you bought there. We got our Latin 10% off, and since it was closing time ;) we were gifted with a beautiful music CD. I got a free CD seminar when I bought some things at the IEW booth. I remember AG giving a discount if you could tell them something that you already knew about their grammar program. TOG was giving coupons for some conference special, and SL was giving a slight discount coupon, too. You can also have the author sign your book if you would like them to. I just love freebies! :D

I love the conventions I have been to, not because of any discount in price of materials so much (unless it is something supplemental that I wasn't able to find online, or that I am saving money on by not having to pay shipping, etc), but because of the chance to actually look at things up close and get my hands on them. Plus, I get to see some stuff that I didn't even know was out there. :)

It depends. I worked at the Greenville convention to get free admission. I bought 2 things and saved about $10 that I would have had to pay for shipping. On the other hand, buying over the Internet is tax free. I bought a $600 order from MFW online when they were having a one cost shipping sale. It saved me about $35 in sales tax. In other words, it would have cost me $35 more if I had bought at the convention because of SC state tax.

The seminars and actually getting to touch and feel curriculum makes going to the convention very worth while.

I never really get things cheaper BUT sometimes they do not charge the GST (provincial sales tax) and of course free shipping.

As for convention pricing. To go to the one I am headed to in 2 weeks is $75 for me and then $35 for ds13 for the teen conference BUT they offer scholarships so I had to pay $15 for my membership for the year but they waived the rest of the admission fee for me and ds.

Of course I am still paying for gas, hotel and food for 2 nights and 2 days as the convention is 5 hours away plus hiring a pet sitter for my dog, so I am still spending a ton but the scholarship helps.

Thanks for the replies. It looks like the consenses is that things aren't cheaper, but it's worth the money to go to actually see things in person. So that cements my decision to hold off on a few things I'm not 100% on until I see them there. As for the cost of the convention itself, I thought it was completely reasonable. DH and I recently attended a Small Farmers convention and paid $50 PER PERSON for one day, 3 sessions.

Last year there was a session I went to where the speaker gave a free homeschooling book at the end of her talk. I also got a couple of "free with purchase" items at Timberdoodle's booth; they were 3-d animal puzzles. You had to print the coupon at home and bring it with you. Maybe they were just free, and not with purchase. Can't remember.

I have never gone to the exhibit hall only; this is my 3rd year going to this convention, and there are still plenty of sessions that I'm interested in. There are some time slots with 3-4 speakers I want to go hear. But I can spend hours in the exhibit hall (and not buy much at all). I have to specifically schedule time to go because of all the sessions I want too. Or figure on spending 15-20 min. blocks of time in the exhibit hall between speaker sessions, and booking it back upstairs in time to get to the room & find a seat before they start.

I make a list before I go of the curriculum I need to buy for next school year, where online I can find it, online prices, regular retail price, shipping, etc. Then I can compare prices at the convention and buy there or plan on getting them online from home (or at the hotel--I bring my laptop). There are usually at least a couple of second hand sellers also. They buy your used stuff, too.

Edited by gardening momma

Last year our local convention had free admission for those who had never been registered before. This year, if I buy my ticket by tomorrow, it OS $40. A shopping pass is $20. I received a 25% discount on science curriculum and saved plenty in shipping. What I need this year are small items that shipping Is more than the item alone. I will take a couple of classes and shop.

Looking more into our state convention, I see that it is run by an organization that puts on 38 conferences in 34 states. I don't know how that group would be classified, but they'd need to make some sort of profit to cover their expenses.

Profit is what is leftover after all expenses have been paid.

I have found that if you are buying from a company that is selling its own product, you can get a deal on two or a whole set by taking to them and asking. They have some leeway. There are also convention specials at a decent number of booths.

As to the profit vs. non-profit... This whole issue originated in Ohio. The local convention is at least twice as much as the Midwest, and it was going downhill before Midwest every started. The state organziation's "help" was limited to meetings in Columbus, with little to offer to anyone else in the state, and the convention, which invited the same speakers back year after year with no input allowed. It was also controlled by only one type of Christian. When there was an issue with homeschool laws a few years ago, they weren't the ones who took care of it. It was an independent organization of homeschool leaders. I have no problem attending the Midwest convention with a clear conscience. :001_smile: