Menu

Standardized testing when it is not required

blondeviolin

If I wanted my HS kids tested in years to come, who would I go to?

Besides the scoring information you receive, what other benefits are provided when doing this? (Documentation of whatever grade you claim?) Are scores reported to anyone else?

Just wondering about it all..

For us, the biggest benefit has been that our kids are used to taking tests. They see them as simply something that you do, not a big deal. They've learned how tests work, and are comfortable with the concept. Over the years we've discussed strategies to use on tests.

I've ordered from Bob Jones University and administered the tests myself here at home. Other places also provide tests -- it somewhat depends on which test you want to use. The scores are only seen by us.

Last year my older dd took the Stanford with a local homeschool group, which offers the testing each spring (again, we were the only ones who saw her scores). We did that so she could have the experience of a group test. A few months later she took the ACT for the first time -- I think it would've been much more nerve-wracking if she'd never taken a standardized test before. As it was, she was quite familiar with filling in the bubbles, strategies for narrowing down possible correct answers, pacing herself on a timed test.

I use Seton and get the Cat/e. The records are not sent to anyonr but me. I just do it as a record for myself.

EtA: and so the kids are used to testing. If they have done it every year, it will be no big deal when they count. They will be used to the format. I tested every year and started the ACT in 7th grade. By the time they counted for college entrance, there was no stress.

Edited by chepyl

I test so that I can see what my son's strengths and weaknesses are, in an objective manner. Seeing that ok, he's doing well in math, stop stressing, great. See that his punctuation really IS that bad, buy a new punctuation workbook to help. That kind of thing. I have used the CAT survey edition (very short) from Seton and the ITBS from triangle resources. no one gets the scores but me.

Brewer Testing is a good source and they seem to carry the most common standardized tests. We will be ordering the ITBS from them to use in May though we are required by our state to test.

I can see the benefit in spotting any major trouble areas in the three R's in the early grades (punctuation or reading comprehension, etc.) and any wide gaps in content in the older grades.

I've been thinking about this for a bit as well. Do we administer the test at home? Do we have to have a witness or anything?

There are probably some differences in legal/homeschooling rules from state to state and so on.

I'd start with some information on this list

http://www.hslda.org/earlyyears/Testing.asp'>http://www.hslda.org/earlyyears/Testing.asp'>http://www.hslda.org/earlyyears/Testing.asp'>http://www.hslda.org/earlyyears/Testing.asp

Where I've lived, I can administer tests to my children. I've done CAT from Seton. And I've done the SAT-10 ordered from BJU. I had to apply with BJU to be eligible (I sent a copy of my college diploma. and watched an hour long DVD on how to read the test and understand results)

that online one is starting to look nice :)

http://www.hslda.org/earlyyears/Testing.asp

I am an approved tester for other people's children and it's just been me in the room with 1 on 1.

I know my parent administered tests would be able to be used if my child wanted to be part of "national home school honor society".

Oldest child - only standardized test has been the PSAT

Middle child - did CAT in 6th, Stanford 10 in 7th. I wanted to know how she compared to others. I wanted her to have practice on tests.

youngest - gets other testing from speech therapist, and did the Stanford 10 with me for reasons that I don't understand that I did it...

-crystal

You can order from Seton and do the testing yourself, OR other companies like Bob Jones, etc and find a qualified person to administer the testing.

Its good if your the kind of person who wants to see what kind of progress your child(ren) are making. When is it not required? If your state doesn't require it.

Each state is different. Some require you to test in certain grades and hand it into the school district , sometimes with a portfolio. Some states don't require you to do any testing at all.

So be familiar with your state homeschool laws.

I don't see anything wrong with testing, as long as its not the center of your universe. Meaning that you think its the end all to be all, especially in the younger grades. Some children do not test well and it doesn't always measure what your child really knows. I have two children who do not test well at all. But they are smart as a whip and can tell you anything you'd like to know. My husband is this way. I call him a walking encyclopedia, but you give him a test and he becomes a drooling vegetable. LOL

It is helpful when they are in the middle to high school years to help them prepare for college testing so they know what to expect.

We tested last year through Classical Conversations (SAT-10), and are testing this year through a private school (Terra Nova). The main benefits that I see are

1) reassuring to me to know I haven't missed anything major, and validating for DH, too

2) Documentation if DD were to return to traditional schools

3) Documentation for Talent search and other programs (DD was eligible last year, and we chose to not do the further testing since I didn't see any benefits to having her do the SCAT, but I'd like her to take the EXPLORE when she's old enough to be eligible, and that requires a standardized test score).

4) Giving DD practice in a group setting-for example, she talks through almost everything at home, and she can't always do that. It's good to know that she CAN listen and follow directions given by someone else-and that she understands that there are times NOT to argue that a given assignment is too easy and boring, or too hard and stupid.

5) Giving DD the "Real school" experience to share and gripe about with her traditionally schooled friends. It's amazing how being able to go into dance and complain that you had to take the SAT-10 ALL week helps to make you less of the "weird homeschooled kid".:tongue_smilie: It also seems to reassure the PARENTS of her dance friends that DD isn't going to lead their DC down a route to academic rejection or something.

Is it really helpful in driving instruction? Not yet. Last year, every result was something I could have predicted-I knew, for example, that she could add/subtract well, but was struggling with telling time. But it is nice to have that validation that I'm not totally missing something.