Menu

TV Shows for 9 & 11 yo?

Hi,

We have a 9 yo ds and 11 yo dd. We are kind of done with "kid" shows. The last one they loved was Fetch (why, oh why did PBS pull that?). We love to watch Mythbusters and the new Unchained Reaction. I don't like all the language but my kids know what not to say and ask if they don't know. On Mythbusters, they do MacGuyver myths. Has anyone let their dc watch that? It is on Netflix streaming. Does it have suggestive s**ual situations or lots of bad language? I haven't seen it since I was a kid but what I watched as a kid is not necessarily what I would let me kids watch now. Before I go watch a bunch of old MacGuyver episodes, I thought I would ask.

We love scifi. Dh and I love Dr. Who, Stargate, etc. I can't wait until the kids are old enough for that. Dh said he watched Dr. Who original on PBS as a kid but the new series on SciFi (or sorry, Syfy) and BBC America is a bit more adult, anyone agree? We also love cooking competitions on Food Network (I won't let them watch Top Chef on Bravo, though).

Any other suggestions? It seems like our favorite time of the day is to sit and watch a funny or exciting TV show. It is a good for relaxing. In case you don't think I should have my kids watch so much TV: my dc read all day for school and an hour before bed. I am critically and chronically ill and cannot get off the couch very much. TV is something we can do together after doing school since I am worn out by then. Anyway, just looking for suggestions :) Thanks!

Our family is somewhat addicted to the Food Network...our kids turned us on to it after watching at my parents house one weekend. They also watch Phineas and Ferb, which I can watch a certain amount of and enjoy. We let them watch some American Idol here and there, and would let them watch some Discovery or History channels (and similar ones) but we have very limited cable and don't get those channels.

Phineus and Ferb is a huge hit here. It's on Netflix too. We all watch it here (even DH and the older teens).

:iagree: My almost 9 and almost 11 yr old love this as well... we watch Doctor Who over here (11 year old loves ....9 year old does not) but I would prescreen as some are pretty scary.

Diane

Oldies we like:

- The Andy Griffith Show

- 3 Stooges

- Sir Lancelot

- The Waltons

- Leave it to Beaver

- Our Gang/Little Rascals (my 2 youngers were jumping up and down laughing at this, but I think 9 and 11 would appreciate)

- OLD Hardy Boys from the 1950s

- Spin and Marty

- Lassie (2 of my boys like this, anyway)

- Lost in Space (they even have things like "light sabers!)

- Land of the Lost (the old one)

- maybe Star Trek? Although we don't watch that here - I never got into it

They have also been watching a series called "The Black Arrow", based on a book by R.L. Stevenson and it's set in the Middle Ages. They LOVE this show. I must say I haven't watched it with them, so not sure if there's anything inappropriate, but I doubt it and it doesn't look that way.

What about "Get Smart"? Anything inappropriate there? Other ideas (from my childhood!):

- Gilligan's Island

- Flipper

- Grizzly Adams

- Johnny Socko (sp?) and his Flying Robot

Other ideas I have on a list but haven't seen - historical stuff, I think some of these are British shows:

- Robin Hood

- William Tell

- Rob Roy - but is that a movie or TV series, can't remember

If you go to Amazon and look some of these up, of course you can see similar shows for ideas. Many of these will obviously appeal more to boys, but my some of those were my favorite shows growing up and I was no tomboy!

McGyver was too racy for us.

Some of the ones my 10yr old likes on Netflix are:

Phineas and Ferb

Cosby Show

Good Luck Charlie (so cute!)

Dennis the Menace

Pair of Kings

He-Man and She-ra

Xena

Hercules

Meerkat Manor

Stan Lee's Superhumans

Ruby Gloom

They've added more kids shows to Hulu. Lots of PBS one - I can't remember if Fetch is one of them. Also old shows like Rocky and Bullwinkle (I'm always surprised how much history, fairy tales, cultural reference they include that that old show). Also Hulu has shows that I had never seen or hear of before - an animated The Littles. We also like Nova, History Detective and Nature (some of these may have individual episodes that are not appropriate for little kids).

Where do I find the Black Arrow? Is it a TV show or movie? I see some youtube videos.... Oh, I forgot to add that my kids LOVE Mr. Bean on Netflix. SO funny.

We got it at the library. It's a series, but I think probably more like a long mini-series. Each episode is 30 minutes or so, and ds said there are about 18 episodes.

Edited by HeidiKC

They've added more kids shows to Hulu. Lots of PBS one - I can't remember if Fetch is one of them. Also old shows like Rocky and Bullwinkle (I'm always surprised how much history, fairy tales, cultural reference they include that that old show). Also Hulu has shows that I had never seen or hear of before - an animated The Littles. We also like Nova, History Detective and Nature (some of these may have individual episodes that are not appropriate for little kids).

We do watch a lot of pbs shows and educational tv as well. Thanks for all the suggestions. If you think of more let me know.

• 2 weeks later...
Sue Thomas FBEye

I'm probably too late on this thread but I was wondering if you could point me in the direction of these? I've been looking for them and haven't found them even on Amazon to purchase or have I missed something.

We love the old Dr. Who's. DH has been collecting them for years so we own them. Some are availiable on amazon prime not sure about the other services.

We don't allow the current Dr. Who. It's just too.... everything!They were allowed the Christmas special but that was because of the Narnia theme.

Lost in Space is also a favorite.

We just started Young Indiana Jones. There are some good documentaries that go with each episode. They are actually educational!

My kids were 9 and 11 when they started watching the new Dr. Who. I guess it depends on your tolerance level for various things. In the UK, it's certainly considered a "kids" show, though adults enjoy it too. Mine adored it and spent the summer watching every episode from 2005-present.