Menu

Lessons, chores and dinner done by 6 pm?

Yes, lessons and chores are done and dinner is on the table at 6.

This isn't directed at the OP but to some who think the husband has unreasonable expectation or should do more. These are my thoughts on my situation.

My husband commutes and works long hours so that I can stay home and homeschool. Life would be much easier for him if I worked and provided an additional income, so the least I can do to thank him for his sacrifice is to make his evenings and weekends as peaceful and stress free as possible. I chose to homeschool knowing that I still needed to clean, cook, do laundry, run errands, etc. As the one that stays home I'm free to run the house the way I see fit, but I feel an obligation to keep my household running efficiently and provide each member of the family a reasonable expectation of order and consistency. Just as it is my husband's obligation and responsibility to provide each member of the family with the means to eat, be sheltered, clothed and educated. Why on earth would I expect him to pick up the slack due to me not training my dc to pitch in or allowing everyone to sleep late every morning? He certainly never asks me to write a report he put off to try to get other things done, or do a quality assessment on a tech because he wants to sleep in one day.

This topic is a hot spot for me. Why is it always the husband that needs to pick up the slack? Why can't the kids pick up the slack? Why can't the one who stays home and chooses to homeschool be more efficient with their time, or not take so much on that the basic necessities of keeping a home fall to the side? Yes, homeschooling is important, but you(general) are a spouse and parent first.

Note to all those new to homeschooling! Get these things worked out with your spouse before you start buying curricula. Know what the expectations are of both parties and come to an agreement of responsibilities. Homeschooling should bring a family closer together, not cause animosity or strife between the parents.

Edited by 5LittleMonkeys

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This isn't directed at the OP but to some who think the husband has unreasonable expectation or should do more. These are my thoughts on my situation.

My husband commutes and works long hours so that I can stay home and homeschool. Life would be much easier for him if I worked and provided an additional income, so the least I can do to thank him for his sacrifice is to make his evenings and weekends as peaceful and stress free as possible. I chose to homeschool knowing that I still needed to clean, cook, do laundry, run errands, etc. As the one that stays home I'm free to run the house the way I see fit, but I feel an obligation to keep my household running efficiently and provide each member of the family a reasonable expectation of order and consistency. Just as it is my husband's obligation and responsibility to provide each member of the family with the means to eat, be sheltered, clothed and educated. Why on earth would I expect him to pick up the slack due to me not training my dc to pitch in or allowing everyone to sleep late every morning? He certainly never asks me to write a report he put off to try to get other things done, or do a quality assessment on a tech because he wants to sleep in one day.

This topic is a hot spot for me. Why is it always the husband that needs to pick up the slack? Why can't the kids pick up the slack? Why can't the one who stays home and chooses to homeschool be more efficient with their time, or not take so much on that the basic necessities of keeping a home fall to the side? Yes, homeschooling is important, but you(general) are a spouse and parent first.

Note to all those new to homeschooling! Get these things worked out with your spouse before you start buying curricula. Know what the expectations are of both parties and come to an agreement of responsibilities. Homeschooling should bring a family closer together, not cause animosity or strife between the parents.

I know you didn't direct this at me. But I want to state, others may want/need spouse to pick up the slack. I do not. I do not expect him to help me. I haven't had that expectation of him for years. I would sometimes ask him to help me. Sometimes he would, sometimes he wouldn't. But, I lowered my expectation to zero years ago.

I guess I just see it differently. A job is a job and a home/family are a home/family, and saying, essentially, I do the job, you do the home/family, and you do it my way and on my schedule, would never fly with me. Not only would it feel, to me, like dh were shirking responsibilities he created (home/kids), because, to me, earning the money is not the sole responsibility of a husband/father, but also it would feel like my dh were giving me a job AND telling me how to do it. That seems controlling and disrespectful, to me.

In my way of thinking, you buy a house and create kids to fill said house, you participate in the work of making the house a home. You don't make it your wife's responsibility.

Other people do it differently, I guess.

Tara

I agree with what you are saying, but I did switch my allegiance to the OP's dh when I learned school was starting at 11:00. My dh does a LOT of work around our house, as well as work both at the office and around the world. He also does all of our cooking when he's home. Our home is a team effort. But I think he would feel a bit odd (or worse) if he was up and out and doing all he can, and we were home sleeping in every day.

Well said!

I know in our house DH would have no problem with the kids in public school. It is my choice to homeschool so I choose to try to keep up with school and the house while he is gone.

Bottom line.....to meet his expectations we will need to start lessons and chores much earlier. That isn't a bad thing.

:grouphug: I like how you are trying to meet your husband on a kind of compromise - probably when he sees that you all are willing to listen and respond to his concerns, he will be more understanding of your time constraints. I think you are handling this whole discussion very well!

I had not read the entire thread before I posted my earlier response. So...

I was seeking an answer to my original post...

DH would like for all lessons, chores (floors swept, laundry rebooted, dw empty) and dinner ready by 6 pm. I'm not getting it all done. Are you guys able to do this?

I am fulling aware of our short comings. I just wanted to know if you guys finished by 6pm.

In that case my answer would be that we don't try. I only have one child, but he's 14.5, so I get the teenage sleeping late thing. Dh is up at 5:45 and out by 7. He works anywhere from 8-10 hours a day with a 45 minute commute each way. He doesn't do much in the evenings, but will often clean up the kitchen after dinner without being asked. When ds was younger, he read aloud to him while I cleaned the kitchen.

School: Ds sleeps until 9 or 9:30, and like you we start school around 11. When he was younger and got up earlier, we started earlier. He has breakfast and gets a chore or two done before we start school. As with your 15 y.o., much of his school work is independent, with me as a facilitator now. He has 2 online classes from Florida Virtual School, TT for math, NOEO science, and my homemade history. Literature is also homemade. I make up a schedule for him on Sundays, and have him look over what he needs to get done for the week. We go over what outside activities will happen. This seems to work better than a daily schedule. If he wants to get it all done in 3 days and have Thurs. and Fri. free, that's his choice. As long as he has it all done by the end of the week, and is able to get his chores done as well, it's up to him to manage his time.

Chores: We tend to to chores on the weekend. I dust, vacuum, and mop, and do laundry, ds mows the lawn, and dh checks the cars and does any home repairs that need doing. We all usually get done in about 2 hours (except for the laundry), then the rest of the weekend is free. The daily chores are mainly pick-up and clean up after yourself. On Mondays, ds cleans his bathroom (the main bathroom) while I clean the master bathroom. Other chores are just done as they come up. If the kitchen trash is full, ds or dh will take it out. If the dog is shedding more than usual, one of us will sweep. While we take turns cleaning the dinner dishes or unloading the dishwasher, there's no set schedule for who does it.

Sometimes I work on stuff after dinner, but it's because I want to. If I don't want to work after dinner though, I just stop, even if everything I wanted to get done isn't done.

I should add, while I might be tempted to be angry at dh if he were to ask me to have it all done by 6, really I wouldn't trade my "job" for his. I am so grateful to get to do this. So I have to remind myself of that sometimes!

:iagree: I worked for much of my adult life before ds was born. I appreciate what it means to be able to stay home.

I am fine keeping it the way it is. We get up, we work, we play, we learn, we work, we play, we go to bed. I have no complaints.

I want to add....I do want to make my husband happy though. He would be proud of us if we changed a developed some of his good habits.

:grouphug: I'm sorry. It sounds like you are okay with things the way they are, and he isn't, but you naturally want him to be happy too. I hope you find a point where you can both be comfortable.

But I think he would feel a bit odd (or worse) if he was up and out and doing all he can, and we were home sleeping in every day.

Did you read the OP's explanation of why her dd stays up late? She's writing and illustrating a novel, and she's involved with theater. Should she not get to do the things she enjoys and is good at because they conflict with her father's expectation that things come to a screeching halt at 6 pm so that he can get what he wants?

I guess it depends on family dynamics. I don't particularly enjoy sports, and I never really wanted to be a sports mom. But I was blessed with a fabulous soccer player and two outstanding hockey players. I spend many evenings and weekends accommodating their interests and schedules because I am raising them to have the opportunity to do the things they want to do. I had my time when when I was young, and I will have it again when my kids are out of the house. Raising kids means your life kinda centers on them and their activities, imo. Would I love to have my days finished at 6 and my evenings free? Absolutely. But I take my kids to ice time in the middle of the day, since that's when it's offered, which means school/cooking/chores get bumped farther into the day. Or I drive my dd17 to soccer practice, 25 minutes away, sit and wait for her, and drive her home ... because I'm raising kids, and I don't always get to have things my way.

I guess the fact that the OP states she has given up expecting help from her husband and expects, literally, nothing from him in the way of help around the house says something to me about the reasonableness of his expectations.

Tara

Did you read the OP's explanation of why her dd stays up late? She's writing and illustrating a novel, and she's involved with theater. Should she not get to do the things she enjoys and is good at because they conflict with her father's expectation that things come to a screeching halt at 6 pm so that he can get what he wants?

In the real world, one's obligations come first. Family is important, and the OP said that her DH is fine with the kids working on things quietly in their rooms in the evening (she mentioned reading, but I would assume writing would also be ok). If she can get her schoolwork done and do an appropriate amount of household chores (enough to contribute to the needs of the family), then yes, she should be able to set her own schedule.

My 11yo is going to be participating in elite karate training. She will have to make sacrifices, and I'll probably need to make some adjustments to her workload. But she is part of our family first and a student second before she's an athlete.

I think a lot of people are letting their personal distaste for men who have expectations of their wives to meet a certain standard in their homemaking color the OPs situation. The OP has said more than once that she doesn't feel that his expectations are terrible, she just isn't sure she is able to meet them (if I'm reading her posts correctly). I have the expectation that my DH will maintain the house, feed the kids, etc. if I'm gone for the day and he's home, I don't know why it can't work both ways.

Would I love to have my days finished at 6 and my evenings free? Absolutely. But I take my kids to ice time in the middle of the day, since that's when it's offered, which means school/cooking/chores get bumped farther into the day. Or I drive my dd17 to soccer practice, 25 minutes away, sit and wait for her, and drive her home ... because I'm raising kids, and I don't always get to have things my way.

I think the difference between your situation and the OP's is that (I assume) your dh is in agreement with you spending your daytime hours on those activities. I assume he knows that if your kid is on the ice in the middle of the afternoon that chores and/or schoolwork must shift to earlier or later in the day. My little boys are really good wrestlers. During wrestling season my dh goes to all their practices (during his work hours) and takes them to tournaments on the weekend. I don't expect dh home early or on time any day during wrestling season. I assume that if the OP was running her dc around during the day (instead of sleeping until mid-morning), her dh would be understanding and have expectations that reflect their use of daytime hours.

I guess the fact that the OP states she has given up expecting help from her husband and expects, literally, nothing from him in the way of help around the house says something to me about the reasonableness of his expectations.

Tara

I don't expect anything of my dh, and my dh is not unreasonable. My dh spends a lot of time away from home, and I let go of my expectations a long time ago because he's just not around to help consistently. We both work a long, stressful day, and we have reached a spot where we are comfortable and happy not placing expectations on each other. If we want something done to our satisfaction, we do it.

the OP said that her DH is fine with the kids working on things quietly in their rooms in the evening (she mentioned reading, but I would assume writing would also be ok).

Right, but many people are suggesting that it's not fair for the dd to be sleeping in when her father has to get up super early to go to work (and I don't even see those things as related at all). The idea seems to be that the dd should just get up earlier and then things could go Dad's way. I was just pointing out that she sleeps in because she is up late working on things or out of the house for an activity, so to me, the solution is not just, "Get up earlier."

Tara

Right, but many people are suggesting that it's not fair for the dd to be sleeping in when her father has to get up super early to go to work (and I don't even see those things as related at all). The idea seems to be that the dd should just get up earlier and then things could go Dad's way. I was just pointing out that she sleeps in because she is up late working on things or out of the house for an activity, so to me, the solution is not just, "Get up earlier."

Tara

The way I read it, people were saying it isn't fair for the entire family to have a late start if it impedes their ability to meet their responsibilities on a regular basis. Accommodating two different schedules is different than disregarding the desires of a family members when there is not a reason to do so.

Tara

Keep in mind, we didn't find out why the daughter was sleeping in so late until post 209 in the thread.

For some families, life is about pursuing individual interests. For others, there's a high importance placed on time together in the evenings. I don't think either way is bad or wrong. The problem here seems to be that there is a disconnect. The dad wants evenings to be for calm family time, and the rest of the family is busy pursuing private interests. They get their downtime earlier in the day when the dad is at work.

"This topic is a hot spot for me. Why is it always the husband that needs to pick up the slack? Why can't the kids pick up the slack? Why can't the one who stays home and chooses to homeschool be more efficient with their time, or not take so much on that the basic necessities of keeping a home fall to the side? Yes, homeschooling is important, but you(general) are a spouse and parent first."

Well for me, I'd love my kids to be able to pick up the slack. My oldest is only just-turned-six and the other two are much younger, and with my recent fatigue . . . well, you get the idea. My oldest helps a lot, but there is a significant portion of stuff that She Can't Do, and I must. A lot of this has to do with circumstances (we keep strict kosher in a place without a lot of kosher options, and no kosher bread) that require an intense amount of cooking from scratch, weekly-or-more formal dinners, weekly-or-more guests, and bi-annual extensive holidays.

My husband just wants me to hire someone to come in and clean once a week, since he'd much rather I do this than run around cleaning at nine p.m. He's not at all demanding, but he worries about me (see recent fatigue) and wants my company. So partly inspired by this thread, I made an appointment for tomorrow! Wish me luck!

No way.

I'd suggest that he get home by 5 in order to take over and make sure all those things are done by 6.

I mean, if he's doing the chores and lessons and making dinner, then I'd be delighted with whatever schedule he wants to do them on. But, if he's expecting ME to handle them, well, then I'd expect him to be delighted with whatever schedule I use to get them done.

Of course, if your husband thinks you are a servant, well, then I guess that is a martial problem, and we are not supposed to give that kind of advice . . .

Now if *I* wanted to get all that stuff done by 6, well, that'd be a scheduling challenge, and I'd have to change some things around here. We'd have to drop some activities. Make simpler meals and plan them ahead, probably using the crockpot most days and/or using OAMC recipes. Make the kids do their chores on a schedule throughout the day. But, if it was just my husband's issue, well . . . the things I would be dropping from my life would probably be things like doing his laundry, making his favorite meals, doing household chores that he cared much about . . .

Well for me, I'd love my kids to be able to pick up the slack.

Me too, but I'd settle for their dirty laundry! The reason I expect my husband to pick up the slack is because he's the other adult!

My husband just wants me to hire someone to come in and clean once a week, since he'd much rather I do this than run around cleaning at nine p.m. He's not at all demanding, but he worries about me (see recent fatigue) and wants my company. So partly inspired by this thread, I made an appointment for tomorrow! Wish me luck!

Hooray!

\

I think a lot of people are letting their personal distaste for men who have expectations of their wives to meet a certain standard in their homemaking color the OPs situation. The OP has said more than once that she doesn't feel that his expectations are terrible, she just isn't sure she is able to meet them (if I'm reading her posts correctly). I have the expectation that my DH will maintain the house, feed the kids, etc. if I'm gone for the day and he's home, I don't know why it can't work both ways.

I think to me it's just about attitude. I mean, who wants to spend all evening cleaning? I'm always running around trying to get more done during the day so *I* can sit and watch tv in the evenings too. I guess it's the difference between a DH that understands that some days things don't go according to plan (kids are extra bad, toddler brings a bucket of dirt in from outside and dumps it everywhere, unexpected errands come up, etc, etc) and a DH that comes home focused on whether or not the house is up to par. I guess I appreciate that if DH comes home and we have an exploded volcano on the kitchen table, he is more likely to be impressed than to complain.

That said, I agree the attitude goes both ways. If I knew a messy house unnerved DH, I'd try my best to keep it neat. But, he'd need to understand that sometimes we leave it messy to run the kids to an activity because there just isn't time.

I talked to DH while he was on his way home. He wants everyone to know that his expectations are borne from his desire for me to have a relaxing evening too. He has watched me work all day and all night for years. He wants me to sit and chill with him in the evening. He is frustrated with us because we aren't following his advice of a strict daily schedule of lessons and chores before anything else.

He concedes that he would rather have a calm, unstressed wife than a crazy one that tried to fit her "square" self into a round hole. He is willing to continue to live in a "lived in" house if it makes me happy. He doesn't have to live my life or homeschool these kids, I do. It really should be my decision how our daytime runs.

I have agreed to a quit time of 6 or 7. He has agreed to live with a little clutter.

Also, on an important note. The idea that my Dh resents or dislikes or is angry that we sleep in or we have a leisurely lifestyle is false. I asked him. It had never occurred to me that was a possibility. He said he doesn't mind at all working long hours so we can fully enjoy all the freedom that comes from homeschooling. He doesn't mind our daughter staying up until midnight to write. He knows it's her passion.

His bottom line.......He wants me with him. Not up doing chores or lessons at night.

BTW, I shared all the insight of the hive with him. The good and the bad. You all have been tremendously helpful.

Edited by txmom23
corrected phrasing

His bottom line.......He wants me with him. Not up doing chores or lessons at night.

BTW, I shared all the insight of the hive with him. The good and the bad. You all have been tremendously helpful.

I am so impressed by your graciousness in this thread. I'm thrilled that you and DH were able to discuss and come to an agreement - it truly is sweet that his desire is for your company and not for a picture perfect house and that time with you was his goal all along.

Blessings to your marriage and homeschool,

Angela

I was seeking an answer to my original post...

DH would like for all lessons, chores (floors swept, laundry rebooted, dw empty) and dinner ready by 6 pm. I'm not getting it all done. Are you guys able to do this?

I am fulling aware of our short comings. I just wanted to know if you guys finished by 6pm.

No. And you never will be, either, unless you change the way your day is going. I am sorry to say it, but I feel a bit cheated in that you got me to reply "No" in my first response before you shared that your day doesn't start until 11am and that your kids are teens and older elementary.

Sounds like your kids don't take you seriously. I think a Daddy-led boot camp may be in order. He needs to make his expectations known directly to them and let them know they are to cooperate with their mom or they will answer to him for the consequences.

Sorry to sound harsh, but I'm pretty sure you already know what needs to change about your day.

Eta I had not read the last three pages before I wrote this reply. I apologize for sounding mean. I am glad you talked things through with your dh.

FWIW, next time you ask a question like this you should include more details in the OP. Your poor dh got 15 pages of unnecessary bad rap. I am glad you have found help in some of the replies.

Edited by AuntieM

I talked to DH while he was on his way home. He wants everyone to know that his expectations are borne from his desire for me to have a relaxing evening too. He has watched me work all day and all night for years. He wants me to sit and chill with him in the evening. He is frustrated with us because we aren't following his advice of a strict daily schedule of lessons and chores before anything else.

He concedes that he would rather have a calm, unstressed wife than a crazy one that tried to fit her "circular" self into a "square" peg. He is willing to continue to live in a "lived in" house if it makes me happy. He doesn't have to live my life or homeschool these kids, I do. It really should be my decision how our daytime runs.

I have agreed to a quit time of 6 or 7. He has agreed to live with a little clutter.

Also, on an important note. The idea that my Dh resents or dislikes or is angry that we sleep in or we have a leisurely lifestyle is false. I asked him. It had never occurred to me that was a possibility. He said he doesn't mind at all working long hours so we can fully enjoy all the freedom that comes from homeschooling. He doesn't mind our daughter staying up until midnight to write. He knows it's her passion.

Sounds like things are being worked out satisfactorily for both of you. :hurray::hurray:

" Me too, but I'd settle for their dirty laundry! The reason I expect my husband to pick up the slack is because he's the other adult!"

Really, I'd settle for everyone who's old enough to use the toilet to strive to be mess neutral. Fine, you make laundry. Fine, I will clean the toilets. But if you take it out, put it back. If you use a dish, put it in the dishwasher. If you take off your socks, put them in the laundry. Is this so much to ask?