Menu

Hooray for Teaching Textbooks!

Iamblessed

Finally, I have found something my 4th and 7th grader do not complain about doing! They are actually asking to do their math first-AMAZING! :)

My 2nd grader is going on TT4 for fun even though he is still doing his Singapore math! Best part is it frees my time up to teach other subjects that I enjoy more. What a blessing :D

TT made the difference between crying, frustration, and feeling stupid and asking to do math, doing multiple lessons a day, enjoying himself, and, most importantly, feeling smart at math and learning (!!) for my son.

Although I resisted trying it for several years due to the negative press it sometimes gets, I have come to see that the best math program is the one your child actually learns from (not the one that is touted as "the best" or "the most rigorous"). For my dd, that's Math Mammoth. For my ds, it's TT.

Tara

I've jlheard great things too but with dh not working I qent the cheap route and stuck with our bju math. Found it for $30! May switch to tt for 4th grade. We need a computer too LOL my laptop bit the dust.

This is what I did too! Went the cheaper route. Wish I would have done TT years ago-maybe my two highschoolers wouldn't be quite so math phobic :D

I also have been toying with the idea to changing to TT. We have been doing a combo of Horizons with Singapore Work Books and CWP.

I am thinking of either TT 6 or TT 7 for my daughter and the Keys to series with some cwp and TT4 for my son with the SP EP and CWP.

They seem to do well with Horizon but they hate it. Am trying to find something spiral but not as much as Horizon. They have played with TT on line and love it...

HI, Can we view the sample pages of this curriculum somewhere??

You can watch a demo here.

TT is the only math that got my math phobic dd, who I believe has dyscalculia, to do math without feeling as if she were going to vomit. One problem at a time is so much more manageable than a page full of problems starring at her. The muted colors and fairly clean screen shots work well to calm her, and the fact that she can work at her own pace keeps her from getting anxious. She works so much better without me actively teaching her and hovering over her. She will be going into an art major so our goals for math are to solidify the basics and acquire her minimum math credits in highschool (which will just be through Alg. II). This is a good program if your goal is a basic math education and you just want a program that gets math done consistently.

I still don't think that this is a challenging math program suitable to a child who has a propensity for math, or one going into a heavy math\science field...UNLESS you work ahead of grade level and supplement with extra practice and real world application. Of coarse that is just my opinion based on my experience. I know others will probably disagree with me.;)

Thanks for posting this! I have been trying to come up with a math plan for next year. I finally went to the TT website to take a look. I was really thinking no until my kids came over and asked what I was doing. I told them and asked what they thought about they program. I haven't been able to pull them off the samples! Every free minute they have had today they ask if they can go play with the samples!! I have never seen such excitement about math! I guess I will get it for my oldest next year. I told my youngest that he would only get it if I can find it used. Otherwise he could start using it when he is at the level that I end of buying for the oldest. Youngest is always stuck with hand me downs! :lol: Budget won't allow for buying two new programs!

Just another family that loves TT and agree what a blessing it's been for us. Esp the free tutoring over the phone. Oldest son has made use of this for pre-alg. and algebra.

How does tutoring work? I didn't know they offered that service.

• 3 weeks later...

My daughter uses CLE and TT. I don't think CLE needs to be supplemented and it's my favorite program, but TT is hers. She uses it a couple of levels above whatever level in CLE she is working on and she just told me yesterday she likes TT because of the variety of problems, without all of the repetition and that it challenges her. Last year, was her first year using TT and it was the first year that she said math was her favorite subject.

Lisa

How does tutoring work? I didn't know they offered that service.

:bigear: I didn't know that either.

Just call their #866-867-6284 (I think it's on the back of the CD case as well) and let them know your child needs to speak to a tutor. They'll ask you what level (ex. Algebra 1), what lesson, what problem # and a phone # they can call you back on (while they contact a tutor).

We have the number saved on the cell phone and on Skype to landline to we can call right when help is needed.:D

Same experience here! My kids had always hated math and were behind. I kept holding them back thinking they weren't ready for anything beyond 4th grade level. We stalled for 2 years before I had someone convince me to try TT. We started at 7th grade. They now love math, beg to do extra, and are skipping pre-algebra next year. They took the placement test and are well-prepared for Algebra 1! I couldn't be more pleased. . .