Menu

s/o What is your spouse's highest level of education?

What is the highest level of education your spouse has completed?  

1. 1. What is the highest level of education your spouse has completed?

• High School
    • Some College
    • Bachelor's Degree
    • Multiple Bachelors' Degrees
    • Master's Degree
    • Multiple Masters' Degrees
    • Doctorate
    • Multiple Doctorate Degrees
    • Vocational School
    • Other

My DH left school a few months short of his high school graduation. He's been working ever since(and making the same amount as many we know with BAs). He is planning on going to get his GED soon so that he can go and get a degree in Business Administration. DH is just not a school type, although he loves to learn and is quite intelligent. He just hates desk type environments.

Dh baaaaaarely squeaked out highschool. As in, he did his senior year at an 'alternative' highschool. His dd was born 2 months after he graduated. He's never been to college.

Which is kinda hilarious, 'cause the man is something of a genius in his field. People just assume he has a degree. And he's very blessed to have both the job he has, as well as the reputation he has in his line of work.

That sounds very much like my husband's story.

He, too, finished his diploma at the alternative school.

Although he spent some time on two community college campuses, it doesn't appear from looking at his transcripts that he actually went to classes.

Nonetheless, he's the smartest person I know (aside from our kids, perhaps) and is so extremely good at his job that it's a little scary. The position that he is in at the moment was more or less created for him. The funny thing is that it got dicey for a couple of weeks whether or not they could actually hire him into the job, because the position they were creating would normally require at least a bachelor's and preferably a masters degree. His boss was stunned to discover hubby had neither.

They fixed the problem with some artful rewriting of the job description, but it was tense there for a bit.

I only duplicated the post it was spun from. I don't think anyone would look down on learning a trade, would they? :grouphug: To me it is very much like an apprenticeship and very worthwhile.

ETA: The reason I posted the poll: I was curious to see what the stats looked like in comparison to the mama stats. My reasoning was an overwhelming majority of the DH's probably have post secondary education if they have stay at home wives. I was curious to see if I was right.

I haven't looked at the results in detail, but I know that the opposite is true for us and at least a few other responders. I have a college degree. My husband does not. I stay home, because he makes much more money than I ever did.

My husband has a Masters, extra academic work, and extensive career related training.

I'm not sure that it is a good assumption that first, all homeschool moms are unemployed, and second, that only the income produced by those with degrees would support an unemployed spouse. There are plenty of master tradesmen that earn excellent wages, to name just one field.

Other: Associates Degree (I refuse to pick "some college" because to me that means some classes, but never any degree at all). He actually has two of them, one a technical associate in applied science and one a more general associate in science degree. He also went to a computer technical school and got a diploma from there.

My dh dropped out of school because he had to go to work full time. Since then he has worked hard and has gotten his GED. He is very smart but hates "school". He is a certified crane operator and builds bridges with the state dept. of transportation. He can also fix nearly anything! We sell cars and he does most of the mechanical, body work and cleanup. He worked his way up from the bottom at the DOT and is now the foreman of his crew and is probably next in line for the job that is the supervisor over all the crews.

Dh left school after 5th form (~ age 16). This was normal in NZ when he was growing up & still is now. Students have to do 3 years of highschool, but have the option of doing 4 or 5 years as well. After leaving school, dh went on to complete a 5 year carpentry apprenticeship, earning his Trade Certificate in Carpentry. Both my boys are following the path their father took, while dd is finishing up her degree, following in my footsteps.

DH has his MBA and is beginning his DBA next month.

He retired from the USMC after 26 years with part of his Bachelors degree completed. While job hunting he was told by numerous employers that he had the experience that they wanted but they could not offer him a job since he did not have a completed degree. That has stuck with him. ;)