Menu

I admit, part of it is the rebel in me.

I sent in my LOI's with a 1 page LOI and a 2nd page with my curriculum outline.

I did not use the form our school sends, I never do. The elementary school accepted it without question, we have reported to the same gal for years. The new school I have to report my older dd to is the one who took issue with it.

Now I could simply use the form, send it back, issue dealt with, no problem right? But do I want to? No. I don't. What I sent has exactly the same information conveniently located on a single page rather than a 4 page form.

So I am writing back telling her so with a new copy of MY LOI highlighted and marked;part a, part b, blah blah. I closed it cordially, cheerfully stating that I sincerely hope this clears up the informational issues.

There is no law or statute nor policy that says I have to use their form.

Sigh, I can't help myself, I need help with authority issues. :lol:

I'm not sure what "LOI" stands for (diff abbreviations in diff places), but I was the same way with the papers I had to send in this year - they provide a form, but nowhere in the school act does it state that *that* form *must* be used. It just states that you must send a "copy of the proposed educational plan". That's it. Not "Using pages blah and blah and form A and listing blah" ...I go by 'give as little as possible' and I did....I never heard boo from them. :)

I'm not sure what "LOI" stands for (diff abbreviations in diff places), but I was the same way with the papers I had to send in this year - they provide a form, but nowhere in the school act does it state that *that* form *must* be used. It just states that you must send a "copy of the proposed educational plan". That's it. Not "Using pages blah and blah and form A and listing blah" ...I go by 'give as little as possible' and I did....I never heard boo from them. :)

"Letter of Intent"

I'm with both of you. If the law doesn't specify that I have to do...whatever...I'm not doing it.

There's no form required here, either, but for the past several years we've been sent a different form every year. Each year, it contains some sort of information that is not required by law (such as SSI), so I either ignore it and send in my letter of intent, or in some years I'll fill out only what is required and write in the other boxes "this information is not required", etc.

If everyone fills out a form when it's not required, after a while it can become accepted and if challenged, precedent can be established which would then make it law. And once it's put into law, other things may continue to be added to it until the form becomes repressive.

So I tend to be with you in not going along with things which are not required....

Got mine yesterday from the PS district. I will send my normal one that I have been using since day 1, not the form they conveniently sent me. For heaven's sake, I have MINE on the computer where I can just fill in the blanks, why would I even consider using their form?

Also in the letter was the vaguely threatening demands for the "academic assessment report", which for Ohio is the results of your student's achievement test or the certified teacher's sign-off on your portfolio. The test results "should demonstrate reasonable proficiency as compared to other children in the district at the same grade level". Guess what level that is----"Any child who has a composite score at or above the twenty-fifth percentile shall be deemed to be performing at a level of reasonable proficiency." 25th percentile:eek:? Not exactly setting the bar very high, are they? Oh well, just had to share. That part gets me every year.

LOL - I go through this every year with our school district. They fuss if I don't include the kid's social security numbers with their evaluation letters. Well, they already have them and no where does it say I have to send them. The same woman and I have fussed at each other once a year for the past 7 years.

I sent in my LOI's with a 1 page LOI and a 2nd page with my curriculum outline.

I did not use the form our school sends, I never do. The elementary school accepted it without question, we have reported to the same gal for years. The new school I have to report my older dd to is the one who took issue with it.

Now I could simply use the form, send it back, issue dealt with, no problem right? But do I want to? No. I don't. What I sent has exactly the same information conveniently located on a single page rather than a 4 page form.

So I am writing back telling her so with a new copy of MY LOI highlighted and marked;part a, part b, blah blah. I closed it cordially, cheerfully stating that I sincerely hope this clears up the informational issues.

There is no law or statute nor policy that says I have to use their form.

Sigh, I can't help myself, I need help with authority issues. :lol:

I'm with you! I don't like for anyone to be the boss of me!:D

...The test results "should demonstrate reasonable proficiency as compared to other children in the district at the same grade level". Guess what level that is----"Any child who has a composite score at or above the twenty-fifth percentile shall be deemed to be performing at a level of reasonable proficiency." 25th percentile:eek:? Not exactly setting the bar very high, are they? Oh well, just had to share. That part gets me every year.

Well, on a nationally normed test, anything between 25th and 75th percentile is in the "average" range. That instruction isn't setting the acceptable range of scores, only the acceptable minimum. I think a minimum of 25th percentile (for children without learning disabilities or special needs) makes sense mathematically. It doesn't mean that the district *expects* children to have a score in the 25th percentile, but that that's the minimum for an "average" score.

And while I do think home schoolers should expect more of each individual child than would be expected of them in school (since we have the advantage of targeted curriculum and one-on-one teaching), that doesn't mean that every home schooled child is capable of 99th percentiles. A 25th percentile would be a *fabulous* score for one child and an *abysmal* score for another.

With all this stuff going on and courts getting overly involved in parental issues, it really gets my dander up. It's likely to make me fight over issues that didn't matter to me at all before. It's a matter of principle.

If you can't stand for something, you'll fall for anything, so the saying goes. I say fight, just because you can.

~Lisa

Well, on a nationally normed test, anything between 25th and 75th percentile is in the "average" range. That instruction isn't setting the acceptable range of scores, only the acceptable minimum. I think a minimum of 25th percentile (for children without learning disabilities or special needs) makes sense mathematically. It doesn't mean that the district *expects* children to have a score in the 25th percentile, but that that's the minimum for an "average" score.

And while I do think home schoolers should expect more of each individual child than would be expected of them in school (since we have the advantage of targeted curriculum and one-on-one teaching), that doesn't mean that every home schooled child is capable of 99th percentiles. A 25th percentile would be a *fabulous* score for one child and an *abysmal* score for another.

ok, here is a stupid question, I am looking at the national grade percentile bands for those numbers?? So what are the scaled scores for?

Didn't catch if someone already suggested this - but could you include a copy of the statute showing exactly what you're required to provide with a letter stating that you have complied with the legal requirements? I've heard of many districts around here backing down once they're confronted with the actual requirements.

I say stick to your guns!

:lol:

I'm with you - if someone tells me to color in the lines, I color outside, just to let 'em know "You're not the boss of me!" (I work for a virtual charter school, but I won't enroll my own children in it!!)

I will say that as a teacher, it can be frustrating to have 29 parents not do it right and I have to go back and fix it all...